The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Poll: Average age of players in your group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Poll: Average age of players in your group.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the average age of players in your group?
A. Under 20
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
B. Between 20-30
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
C. Between 30-40
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
D. 40+
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Poll: Average age of players in your group. Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like we are finally getting the old group back together for some Star Wars D6. It has been a LONG time since we played regularly and we are all a LOT older now. Just curious what the average age is of those still playing in your games. (Maybe I just want to convince myself that I'm not too old, Smile )
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group:

Me 35
Players:
14 (Only when I GM)
33 (Other GM in our group)
46 (Rarely is able to join us. 3-4 times a year)

Average age, . . . just under 30.

Every great once in a while, I'm able to get my wife to join us. Her age is 32 and would bump our average age up to a firm 30.

And for whatever its worth: Two of our players are girls.
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group is average of 30s. I will not allow anyone under 18 in the group at my house unless a parent plays in the group, and if then, 16 is the cut off. Sorry, I don't want young kids... I like to relax and not worry about life when playing... Or watch what I say or act because some guy thought it was cute to involve his 8 year old.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, both of the younger players are the children of the oldest in the group. Both have grown up around roleplaying and are both experienced gamers (The oldest has been gaming regularly since he was 9).

With that said, one of our players has a 6 year old son. There has been a little discussion about letting him join us. Everyone had agreed to let him play the next time we run a one-shot story before we pass judgement. I personally dont have a problem with younger players so long as, 1. The parent and/or person who brings them into the group helps them along, 2. They can stay focused on the game, and 3. They aren't disruptive to the game. But then again, I expect those things from ALL of my players.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group that I played SW with would be averaging about 30 now, with me, at 33 being the oldest. I haven't played Star Wars in a while though Sad
My Pathfinder gaming group, probably averages closer to 40, with my wife (being 2days younger than I) being the youngest.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has typically aged with me- a pack of 11-13 year olds, then 16-18 year olds (who had to let the 12 year old brother play by parental mandate)- now, I'm 27, with a (now-departing) 24-year-old, 3 players in the 25-28 range (not sure of the exact age) and one in the mid-to-late 30s. Of course, most are family (including the oldest and youngest siblings acounting for the high and low of the range) and spouses, so the sampling may not be as random of 'interested peer'-based as others'.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
My group has typically aged with me- a pack of 11-13 year olds, then 16-18 year olds (who had to let the 12 year old brother play by parental mandate)
Now I, who was one of the 18-year-olds, am 26 and GM for the former 12-year-old, and our younger brother.

Complete Starship Construction System
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gaming group today definitely falls within the 20-30 category. I'm the oldest, on the cusp of turning 30, with the bulk around 5 years younger. Only one player sporadically remains from my original SW RPG group from high school, and he is about 6 months younger than me.

For a number of years I went without any group to play with. My current is one I started myself shortly after heading to university. It has been quite an experience breaking in a whole new group of players who had never done a table top RPG before meeting me; A lot of what I had taken for granted, is a entirely new experience to them.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. My group all range from 30-34 and like many of you, we started in the 13-17 range.

Now that we are older, it seems like interest has waned a bit for some. How do you get that back?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
How do you get that back?
Become independently wealthy so real life doesn't draw you away so often?

I do a lot of my GMing over email, even though I see my player every weekend. It allows for a play at your own pace style.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30-40.
But only one player below 35 (at 31) and most just below 40..

39,5 on average I'd guess...
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Average age of players in your group. Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Well, it sounds like we are finally getting the old group back together for some Star Wars D6. It has been a LONG time since we played regularly and we are all a LOT older now. Just curious what the average age is of those still playing in your games. (Maybe I just want to convince myself that I'm not too old, Smile )

We have a group of 4.

Me - GM - 36
PC#1 - 40
PC#2 - 24
PC#3 - 35

Average would be 33.75 overall.

Veteran gamers age average is 37.

Hope this assists.

Best.
Matt M
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Average age of players in your group. Reply with quote

MattMartin23 wrote:

Average would be 33.75 overall.

Veteran gamers age average is 37.

Hope this assists.

Best.
Matt M

Thanks to you and all who responded. It seems that as a general rule, my group is actually pretty similar to most of the ones out there - guys who started in their teens and are still going into their thirties.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
How do you get that back?
Become independently wealthy so real life doesn't draw you away so often?

I do a lot of my GMing over email, even though I see my player every weekend. It allows for a play at your own pace style.

Yeah, real life is an issue, isn't it?

We have tried the email thing several times, but not all of the guys like doing that or want to commit to that. Just not the same, it seems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: