The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Gaming Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> New Gaming Idea Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: New Gaming Idea Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just thought of an idea that I wanted to run by everyone for a new Play by Post RPG. I was thinking that it could take place between Star Wars Episode IV and Episode V and be centered around an X-Wing Squadron called Panic Squadron, as they are a wild adventure-loving, tough skinned bunch, with skill and experience to match their recklessness.

After watching Redtails on Saturday I thought, "Man it would be sweet to do a roleplay that tells the accounts of a squadron of Rebel pilots". Some of the characters may have girlfriends that come into play during gameplay, battling between whether to keep fighting against the casualty counts or settle down and be boyfriends or husbands.

The game will involve loss on some counts. I figure that if I get enough people interested that I would run some of the NPCs pilots of the squadron and as in all wars some characters will die. It will be fun and dramatic to see how the squadron deals with the loss of a team member. Panic Squadron will be the squad that is called on when all hell is breaking lose and they need pilots with nerves of steel to rush into insurmountable space battles and come out on top.

Any takers, please kindly respond to this email and we can set up the game for play. Super excited about this!

Matt M
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested if you can get a group together. Its been a long time since I've played a snarky, hot shot, fighter pilot with some serious disciplinary issues.

So, some Q&A so I have a better idea of what you have in mind:

Would you be running the game on this forum?

"Skill and experience to match their recklessness." Does this mean we will have additional skill dice for character creation? What would be the maximum dice alocation during character creation? What would be the limit for taking Specialties?

Will we be able to work out our own backgrounds? Or do you have something specific in mind? (You made a lot of comment about girlfriends/wives.)

Would the X-Wings be our own? How about astromech droids? Are we restricted to X-Wings, or would we have the option of choosing other starfighters? Also, would any X-Wing veriations be available?

Any race and/or gender restrictions for our characters? Droids available as PCs?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally be into this... have a pair of ideas depending on how fast you can get this game running Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested...gotta hear the answers to all the questions Guardian asked first...
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have for my own character concept:

Species: Kian'thar

Personality:
He is hard working, spending much of his time working on his X-Wing or his astromech droid. In combat, he is a natural in the cockpit, but he is prone to obsessing over his goals. In his down time, he drinks heavily, gambles hard, and lays the charm on any female that strikes his interest.

Background notes:
He joined the Rebellion shortly after his sister was taken by the Empire for "Questioning." Since then, he has invested himself completely in the cause in the hopes of either finding his sister, or avenging her by bringing down the Empire that took her. While he will never admit it, he secretly wants nothing more than to find his sister and go back to the peaceful life he used to live.

Equipment:
Some personal items (Clothes, a holo of his sister, a deck of Sabacc cards, a flask of the local brew tucked into his back pocket.) A battered old X-Wing starfighter (Its such a patchwork of used and recycled parts that its not much better than an ugly. It requires a lot of the character's time to keep it performing properly.) And a grumpy old astromech droid thats in only slightly better repair than the X-Wing.

Thats my initial thoughts for a character. Once I know more about what you have planned, I'll make adjustments/changes and flesh things out into a full character.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the amount of people you get interested, a suggestion would be to make the wingmen of the PCs NPCs. This way the PCs get attached to their wingman and killing them off would create a deeper sense of loss for the PCs.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I might be interested if you can get a group together. Its been a long time since I've played a snarky, hot shot, fighter pilot with some serious disciplinary issues.

So, some Q&A so I have a better idea of what you have in mind:

Would you be running the game on this forum?

"Skill and experience to match their recklessness." Does this mean we will have additional skill dice for character creation? What would be the maximum dice alocation during character creation? What would be the limit for taking Specialties?

Will we be able to work out our own backgrounds? Or do you have something specific in mind? (You made a lot of comment about girlfriends/wives.)

Would the X-Wings be our own? How about astromech droids? Are we restricted to X-Wings, or would we have the option of choosing other starfighters? Also, would any X-Wing veriations be available?

Any race and/or gender restrictions for our characters? Droids available as PCs?

Yes I would be running it on this forum...

There are 500 experience points to be allocated per pilot. No skill can go above 7D. I will GM as Panic Squadron Leader. His wingman will be a PC. Panic Squadron Leader's wingman with have NPC Panic Squadron fighter pilot girlfriend.

You can work out your own backgrounds. I will work out NPC backgrounds.

X-Wings are your own so you can put tag name on fighter. Astrodroids are your own. Restricted to X-Wings for now.

The majority of the Squadron will be human. The demographic is this: 9 of 12 are human, 1 Mon Calamari, 1 Twi'Lek and 1 Sollustan rounding it out. There will be 2 women max in the squadron, 1 will be NPC, one can be PC. Droids are available as PCs but it is more exciting if PCs are Fighter Pilots.

Best,

MM
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Here is what I have for my own character concept:

Species: Kian'thar

Personality:
He is hard working, spending much of his time working on his X-Wing or his astromech droid. In combat, he is a natural in the cockpit, but he is prone to obsessing over his goals. In his down time, he drinks heavily, gambles hard, and lays the charm on any female that strikes his interest.

Background notes:
He joined the Rebellion shortly after his sister was taken by the Empire for "Questioning." Since then, he has invested himself completely in the cause in the hopes of either finding his sister, or avenging her by bringing down the Empire that took her. While he will never admit it, he secretly wants nothing more than to find his sister and go back to the peaceful life he used to live.

Equipment:
Some personal items (Clothes, a holo of his sister, a deck of Sabacc cards, a flask of the local brew tucked into his back pocket.) A battered old X-Wing starfighter (Its such a patchwork of used and recycled parts that its not much better than an ugly. It requires a lot of the character's time to keep it performing properly.) And a grumpy old astromech droid thats in only slightly better repair than the X-Wing.

Thats my initial thoughts for a character. Once I know more about what you have planned, I'll make adjustments/changes and flesh things out into a full character.

I like the character concept. You can be a Kian'thar. This means that 8 of the 12 are human, 1 is Kian'thar,1 is Mon Calamari, 1 is Twi'Lek and 1 is Sollustan. I have included gaming details in the post reply to Guardian.

Thanks,

MM
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattMartin23 wrote:
There are 500 experience points to be allocated per pilot. No skill can go above 7D. I will GM as Panic Squadron Leader. His wingman will be a PC. Panic Squadron Leader's wingman with have NPC Panic Squadron fighter pilot girlfriend.

How is this going to work? 500CP to be spent between Skills and Abilities normally? Or standard Abilities with 500CP for Skills?

A couple more guestions while I'm thinking of it:
-Are you allowing Force Users in the group? (I dont have any interest in playing one in this case, but the question is likely to come up for someone.)

-Will we be controlling our own astromechs? Or will be take primary control of them? I expect that most of the players wont be interested in spending a lot of time running theirs as PCs, but I know that I intend mine to be a constant annoyance, . . .

All of that said, I'm in!
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing standard starting attributes and skills.

Would cost 540 cp to get 2d in each attribute.

I'm assuming no force attributes too.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I'm guessing standard starting attributes and skills.

Would cost 540 cp to get 2d in each attribute.

I'm assuming no force attributes too.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I just want to cover my bases and be sure. Besides, by asking, everyone knows the answer!
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
MattMartin23 wrote:

How is this going to work? 500CP to be spent between Skills and Abilities normally? Or standard Abilities with 500CP for Skills?

A couple more guestions while I'm thinking of it:
-Are you allowing Force Users in the group? (I dont have any interest in playing one in this case, but the question is likely to come up for someone.)

-Will we be controlling our own astromechs? Or will be take primary control of them? I expect that most of the players wont be interested in spending a lot of time running theirs as PCs, but I know that I intend mine to be a constant annoyance, . . .

All of that said, I'm in!

I was thinking base stats for Brash Pilot plus 500 character points. Let me know how that works. We can boost it up to 1000 to 1500 based on where it puts your characters at. Don't want any 2D pilots. They would be bantha fodder... No Force Users... Yeah go ahead and control your own astromechs. Between the NPC pilots, the NPC bad guys and NPC rebel command and wives and girlfriends I will have my hands full!!!

MM
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know with the astromechs. I think I'll have a lot of fun with mine!

So, something like this?

DEX 3D
PER 3D
KNO 2D
STR 3D
MEC 4D
TEC 3D
+500 CP

What will the restrictions be for Equipment be? If its ok, I'll have the following: Civilians Clothes, Rebel Uniform, Vacuum suit, Holo of his sister, Deck of Sabacc cards, Flask of local brew, Knife (STR+1D), Hold-Out Blaster (3D, Spare Power Pack), X-Wing, & Astromech Droid.

I'll try to work up my character over the weekend and post something by early next week.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stats that I have come up (first draft) using 18D starting attributes + 500 cp

Dexterity: 2D
.:Blaster: 4D
.:Dodge: 4D
.:Running: 5D
.:Cycling: 5D
Knowledge: 3D+1
.:Alien Species: 5D+1
.:Cultures: 5D
.:Languages: 7D
.:Planetary Systems: 6D+2
.:Tactics: 7D
Mechanical: 4D
.:Astrogation: 7D
.:Communications: 6D
.:Sensors: 6D
.:Starfighter Piloting: 6D
.:Starship Gunnery: 6D
Perception: 2D+1
.:Investigation: 5D+1
Strength: 2D+2
.:Swimming: 5D+1
.:Stamina: 5D+1
Technical: 3D+2
.:Computer Programming/Repair: 4D
.:Droid Programming: 4D
.:First Aid: 5D
.:Medicine: 2D
.:Security: 4D+2

Leftover CP: 7

I am still finalizing my background with myself, But from the stats I think you guys can pick out what kinda character I am trying to build Wink

Last edited by vong on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it looks like we are going to have plenty of people, maybe we should see about getting a forum set up for the game?

Ok, I've got my rough draft done for my character. Look it over and let me know if you see anything that seems out of place. I still need to work on the backstory (Going to go with the original idea and just expand on it a bit.)

Name: Tehl'Nes
Gender/Species: Male / Kian'thar

DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 4D
Dodge 4D
Melee Combat 4D
Pick Pocket 5D+2

KNOWLEDGE 2D
Agriculture:Aquatic Worlds 3D+1
Drink Mixology 4D
Languages 3D+1
Planetary Systems 4D
Survival: Aquatics 5D
Tactics 4D

MECHANICAL 4D
Astrogation 4D+2
Beast Riding 4D+2
Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+2
Sensors 7D
Starfighter Piloting 5D
Starfighter Piloting: X-Wing 7D
Starship Gunnery 6D+2
Starship Sihields 6D

PERCEPTION 3D
Gambling 5D
Search 4D
Sneak 6D+2

STRENGTH 3D
Stamina 5D
Swimming 5D

TECHNICAL 3D
Computer Program/Repair 4D
Droid Repair 4D
First Aid 3D+1
Security 4D+1
Starfighter Repair: X-Wing 5D
Starship Weapon Repair 4D

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Emotion Sense: 3D (Diff Easy), +3 for every additional meter. Resist with Perception or Control rolls: For every 4 points they get on the roll (Round Down), add +1 to the diff. (GG12 p50)

Story Factors:
Reputation: People are often wary of Kian'thars' ability to detect emotions. Assign modifiers as appropriate.

Move:9
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points:
Character Points: 1

Equipment:
Mechanic's Coveralls, Rebel Uniform, Flight/Vacuum Suit, Holo of Sister, Deck of Sabacc Cards, Flask of local brew, Knife (STR+1D), Hold-Out Blaster (3D, Spare Power Pack), X-Wing, & Astromech Droid.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: