The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Prometheus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Prometheus Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and that was in the novel series before the midichlorian stuff of Ep1-3.

I could though see aliens as being yet another sith alchemy construction..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could though see aliens as being yet another sith alchemy construction..

That would be an option. Going with the ancient races thread, perhaps they could be a creation of the Rakata instead of the Celestials.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one knows what the Celestials looked like, it might even be possible to do a direct transplant of the Engineers and have them be giant, bald, blue-skinned humanoids. After all, they are from the same universe, so if Alien and Predator crossovers are acceptable, this wouldn't be too much of a leap.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
I've seen stats done up for Aliens where they communicate using Force telepathy, but personally, I prefer having them just be really vicious mundane creatures.

Id save the 'force' using aliens for a 40K Tyranid conversion..

There is another possibility. If Aliens do actually sample the genetics of their host, what would happen if an Alien was hosted by a Force Sensitive? Would the resulting creature also be Force sensitive?

I assume that the psychic powers of the Tyranids in the 40k univers actually are force powers in the SWU (albeit a bit special).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
There is that, but there is also the aspect of the age discrepancy between the two races, where the Engineers were roaming the stars long before humanity even existed. To get a similar effect - that of a powerful, ancient race that was capable of both engineering life and planning to wipe it out on a planetary scale - you have to go back to the oldest species in the SWU. In the Wikipedia article, it states that the Celestials are believed to be responsible for seeding the Core Worlds with life. What form that seeding took (genetic engineering or transplanting beings from one world to another) is unknown, but the similarity is obvious

MAy SF setting do something like that. It is a pretty common theme. Basically it gives them a semi-scientific alternative to God. Or another way to interpret God, depending on your point of view.

But the the size ang age of the SW Galaxy, you can stick some ancient site from the time to the Clestrial out there and run with it.

Who knows, maybe the Jedi were biologically engineered by the Celestials for some purpose? You can run with in in dozens of different directions, and depending on how you do it, they players might not be able to figure out just what the truth is.

Quote:
Very true. Depends how you want to play it, I guess. Sabers have a cauterizing effect that could work similarly on Aliens as with other lifeforms. There has also been mention at various points in the Alien series that the Alien might be susceptible. If that is the case, a lightsaber might actually inflict more damage.

Yup. But even if the lightsaber cauterize the wound, there still might be some splatter when the body drops. In real life when they cauterize a wound, the patient has to be careful not to reopen the wound and cause more bleeding. When a Jedi slices a bunch of aliens into a lose assortment of limbs and torsos, there is bound to be some splash on the Jedi and on the floor.

I also wonder just what the aliens' bones and skin are made from, since they are immune to the corrosive.

If the aleins are a bioengineering life form then whatever characteristics they have, are for a reason. And a GM will probably want to determine just what the reasons are for his campaign.

Turning my previous suggestion around, maybe the Jedi were engineered as a way of handling the Aliens?

If you accept the idea of midi-chlorians and of the Celestials doing bioengineering, then Force Sensitivity become an obvious choice as a bio-engineered trait. Species like the Miraluk could have been alpha testing, and force resistance species such as the Hutts could either also have been a alpha test, or perhaps were the niorm before the Celstials started tinkering.

You could even set up a link between the Celestials and modern cloning species such as the Kaminos.

You can pretty much go anyway you want with it, like some kinda of Staw Wars conspiracy theory. You got enough common links and a vague enough setting to do the crossover.

I was in a similar situation try to cross Star Wars with another SCiFi setting awhile back. Some of the possible links turned out to be very interesting. In fact, I gave me a "reason" for the destruction of the Kira system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that same stance. Oddly enough, the backstory on Tyranid psyker creatures is that they are the result of Tyranids absorbing the genetic material of psychic beings (Eldar).

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got to watch the movie, and tended to like it. After I finished making fun of my wife for taking soooooo long to figure out it was an Alien prequel (God love her, but there are times she just isn’t that bright …. Laughing

After that, I thought about throwing the idea into SW sort of like the original Ravenloft in D&D. Something like the party bolos a hypernav roll, or messes up their mechanics roll on a hyperdrive repair and the next time they jump things go wrong. They end up in an unmarked system, scan and see wreckage from an unknown type of space craft and then …

Of course, you’d have to have a party that would enjoy a good one off horror game, and not get mad at the various dead characters. That, or have them all wake up after the game with a mass nightmare.

Back in the day, I did that with a modified Ravenloft in D&D, and had a blast with it.

As for, adding them into the game outside of a one off horror setting. I’ve been digging around wookiepedia and saw the ancient races/time line. It should be fairly easy to modify that slightly to add them. My first thought would be to have the party stumble onto some ‘Easter Island’ type heads here and there on some unimportant worlds or in the deep core. As for the why … possibly an unknown race fighting the Rakata (and wiped out), or as garhkal said, maybe a Sith or possibly a lost Dark Jedi alchemy gone wrong

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
As for the why … possibly an unknown race fighting the Rakata (and wiped out), or as garhkal said, maybe a Sith or possibly a lost Dark Jedi alchemy gone wrong

I'm sorry, but IMO, that particular horse has been beaten well past the point of death. We already have the Celestials established as part of the canon, and a lot of aspects of the Celestial backstory match up with the Prometheus Engineers. What's the point of doing a crossover if you resort to the Sith / Dark Jedi alchemy cliche instead of bringing in something new and interesting. Sith as villains have been done and done again, but the Celestials are basically unknown.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I'm sorry, but IMO, that particular horse has been beaten well past the point of death. We already have the Celestials established as part of the canon, and a lot of aspects of the Celestial backstory match up with the Prometheus Engineers. What's the point of doing a crossover if you resort to the Sith / Dark Jedi alchemy cliche instead of bringing in something new and interesting. Sith as villains have been done and done again, but the Celestials are basically unknown.

Oh, sorry. I guess I'm showing my mewbeness again, because I know nothing about the Celestial & cannon.

rgr on Sith being toooooo used as bad guys, but as I said I'm shaky on the EU history so defaulted to them.

Forgive all spelling errors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: