The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force User's Handbook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force User's Handbook Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Force User's Handbook Reply with quote

RancorPitBooks is going to be starting work on a Force User's Handbook in the forseeable future (I'm guessing some time around New Years.) In the interest of getting a little discussion/feedback going, I wanted to run the project past the community.

What would people like to see included? Have we missed something? Do you want something specific included?

All thoughts, comments, and constructive criticism is welcome!

Contents:
1. The Force (A chapter about the overall nature of the force and how it affects the universe as a whole.)
2. The Jedi Order (Covering the main Jedi order as well a hand full of the
better known splinter groups. Include some sample characters and some stock NPCs from the Jedi & Sith NPC collection.)
3. The Sith (Covering the main Sith order as well as a hand full of the better known splinter groups. Maybe including some information on running Sith characters. Include some sample characters and some stock NPCs from the Jedi & Sith NPC collection.)
4. Servants of the Force (Covering everything from Force Adepts, to unaffiliated Force using organizations, to self trained Force users. Include some sample characters and some stock NPCs from the Jedi & Sith NPC collection.))
Groups to cover:
The Jenissari
The White Current
The Tyia
Aing-Tii
5. The Lure of the Dark Side (Covering the seductive nature of the Dark Side, Dark Side Points, and the risks vs the potential payoffs.)
6. Weapons (Weapons, weapon construction, & weapon modifications.)
7. Fighting Techniques (The Seven Lightsaber Forms and other fighting styles.)
8. Training Force Users (Training techniques & excercises.)
9. Artifacts & Lore (Verious Force related artifacts & Lore. Possibly covering Force Prophecy in some detail.)
10. Places of Power (Temples, Training Facilities, and places naturally strong in the Force.)
Locations to be included:
Korriban
Jedi Temple: Coruscant
Jedi Temple: Yavan 4
11. Force Powers (A compiled list of all the Force Powers published, including conversion works. Also include the modifier charts for using Force powers. Book/Page references for easy reference.)
12. Faces of the Force (A set of templates for people who are interested in playing Force Sensitive characters.)
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coool!

Quote:

as well a hand full of the better known splinter groups.

Very Happy

I don't know how much better know or significant they are but it goes without saying I'd like to see the Potentium

Also, maybe a little info on the conflicting views of the force even in the Jedi - unifying vs living force, and the resulting different outlooks on the force and it's use - live in the moment vs look for destiny and visions.

That said, what every you have in there will be great & greatly appreciated !

Forgive all spelling errors.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

The schools of thought that we plan to cover currently include:
Light Side
Dark Side
Unifying Force
Living Force
Potentium
Way of the Dark
The Insidious Force

Jedi Groups:
Jedi Order
Grey Jedi
Corellian Jedi

Sith Groups:
Sith Empire
Rule of Two
Rule of One

Other Force Using Groups:
The Jenissari
The White Current
The Tyia
Aing-Tii

This list may grow if anyone thinks of anything that should be added, and a couple might get dropped if there isnt enough information to work with. Most of them, we would like to cover in detail, but a few of them may be footnotes like what was done for the Tyia in the R&E Rulebook.

As for the Potentium, there isnt a lot of information to work with, but they will defidently justify a page or two of material.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

As for the Potentium, there isnt a lot of information to work with, but they will defidently justify a page or two of material.

Thanks,

I hate to leach off something without helping, but I'm not sure how deep I'd be able to go in helping you. With that, I could try my hand at a couple of NPCs that represent the Potentium, throw in some good stoic quotes etc. It won't be much but ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an interesting project. What sources will the contributors be drawing from, how many people do you expect will help, and what do you think would be the minimum number to complete the project? How will work be divided up?

Sorry if this is just a bunch of logistics. I'm trying to figure out what my writing projects are at the moment and what it might look like being involved in another.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ lurke,

Any help would be welcome. If you want to help out with the Potentium, that would be great! Maybe some stats for known members of the group?

@ cheshire,

Nothing wrong with logistics!

I think the first goal will be to get all of the existing material together (WEG and Conversions). Then move on to flesh things out ourselves.

Back when we started planning this project (2-3 months ago) there were 4-5 of us planning to work on the project. As of this morning, I sent out a message through RancorPitBooks to see who all is still interested in contributing. I expect to hear back from one or two of them in the next few days.

Worst case scenareo, I'll work on the project by myself, but the project will take a very long time to complete if thats the case. I'd like to see a group of +4 of us working on things, but we'll accept help from anyone who is interested in contributing.

Work will be divided by "first come, first seve." Pick a chapter, let the rest of the crew know what you are working on (So several people dont end up working on the same thing.) Then ask for help if you want/need it.

At present, we have some of the ground work done for the "Fighting Techniques" chapter, but no one workng on it. And I just finished a lot of the ground work for the "Force Powers" chapter (List of powers with no book/page references & Force Power diffiulty modifier chart), but I'd be willing to let someone else take that over if anyone was interested. Otherwise, the project is just a list of chapters with a few notes thrown in for good measure at this point.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of this RancorPitBooks of which you speak.

Also, you're just removing the page references on the collected powers in Gry's book and the conversion guides? Or what?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I know nothing of this RancorPitBooks of which you speak.

Also, you're just removing the page references on the collected powers in Gry's book and the conversion guides? Or what?

RancorPitBooks is a yahoo group a few of us set up so we have a place to discuss and share the projects we are working on. Mostly its aplace where we can load our files so our work wont be lost if one of us drops off the grid.

The existing materials will act as source material, it wont be a cut & paste job. Things will be compiled & fleshed out so people can have access to a one-stop place for all their force related needs. As for giving credit, the back of the book will incude a list of the sources used during the project.

We actually talked briefly about the Force Powers collection during our oiginal discusson about this project. We plan to reference the collection, but we only plan to include a list of powers and where to look them up. We didnt see any reason to include a massive secton of powers/mechanics when it has already been done so well. We want the Force User's Guide and the Force Powers Stats books to feel like companion books.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a compilation of Force powers that haven't been listed in Gry Sarth's Force Powers PDF or in the conversions from the WotC d20/Saga books. These include powers exhibited by other Force traditions like the Jensaarai, Witches of Dathomir, Baran Do, Aing-Tii, and etc. It's about 85-90% complete. I just need to work on a few more powers and add a few more things, then I'll be able to put it on Mediafire or something for you guys to take a look at.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I've been working on a compilation of Force powers that haven't been listed in Gry Sarth's Force Powers PDF or in the conversions from the WotC d20/Saga books. These include powers exhibited by other Force traditions like the Jensaarai, Witches of Dathomir, Baran Do, Aing-Tii, and etc. It's about 85-90% complete. I just need to work on a few more powers and add a few more things, then I'll be able to put it on Mediafire or something for you guys to take a look at.

We would be very interested in seeing that. Are these powers that you have created? Or something that you have picked up from other sources? Maybe we can reference your collection?
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also powers included in the Darkstrider:Endgame book. I don't know how complete you're trying to be, but it's there.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
There are also powers included in the Darkstrider:Endgame book. I don't know how complete you're trying to be, but it's there.

We're going to try being as complete as possible. After all, anything worth doing is worth doing right!
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been compiling hand written notes (well over half a spiral notebook worth) about the nature of the Force and the Will of the Force.

The idea was to tackle its from a scientific POV and see what came out of that. While their is an implied bias that the Jedi and Sith are the traditions that have the best understanding of the Force, the notes are not about the Jedi/Sith. They focus on the Force itself.

They are pulled from the movies, novels, reference books, RPG source books, and even some theories from the amazing "The Science of the Star Wars" book.

I've also got a lot of theories based on the info that might be of interest [like a pseudo scientific explanation for why Force Choking is bad but chopping a head off with a lightsabre is okay. Or how psychological thought processes can enhance or cloud midiclurian based communications with the Force].

At the moment its all a big mess that I was planing to type up at some point. But if you think it might help this project then I move it up the priority tree.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1 is going to be about the force, its nature, and how different groups see the force. While I dont see a scientific viewpoint adding a lot to the mechanics of the game, an entry covering the viewpoint would make a great addition!

We currently plan to do a 1/4 - 5 page entry for each viewpoint of the force in the first chapter and the book is going to be two columns.

We would love to see what you come up with!
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - The announcement of this thread had motivated me to tackle the last 10-15% of my work. I've finally finished it. I will say it's a unofficial work in progress in that when a good amount of new material has come in, I'll update it and make it available for presentation.

Bad news - I had Microsoft Office 2010, which allowed me to create PDF files from my word documents. Unforunately, my computer had to be wiped back in October. I reinstalled Microsoft Word, but it's the 2007 version. I have PDF, but I don't want to pay for a membership. Can I make it availablle for you to look at as a word file, or would it be preferable to have it as a pdf.

Question - I have a 4shared account. Do I need to do anything special?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: