The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force User's Handbook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force User's Handbook Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a PDF converter, try doPDF: http://www.dopdf.com/

It's a free PDF creator, while not fantastic and very few bells and whistles, it does the job reasonably well. Installs as a 'printer' on your computer, just select it from the Print options in all versions of Word, and it should just work...

Formatting may not be as precise, but hey, it's free...

T.C.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I got it and it did what I needed.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread motivated me to complete my project. Here's the link so you can check it out.

Please post comments in the Fan Made Sourcebook thread.

Edit - I posted an update, but I didn't do a direct update. Ended up deleting the previous version and uploading a new one. Here's the new link:

The Force Compendium

This link is also on the third page.

Last edited by Forceally on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, someone has been a busy bee.

Without much time to look the work over, I've got to say that the sheer mass of work is just staggering.

With only looking over a few examples, I can say a few things. First, it appears that you really well understand the Force in terms of game mechanics, whereas many people try to develop Force powers without seeing that they've left out critical information on how to use the powers once the dice are rolled, or without realizing that their power is entirely redundant. There are a few that I can see right away that I would never allow in one of my games, but overall it looks like and impressive collection of EU powers.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Well now, someone has been a busy bee.

Without much time to look the work over, I've got to say that the sheer mass of work is just staggering.

With only looking over a few examples, I can say a few things. First, it appears that you really well understand the Force in terms of game mechanics, whereas many people try to develop Force powers without seeing that they've left out critical information on how to use the powers once the dice are rolled, or without realizing that their power is entirely redundant. There are a few that I can see right away that I would never allow in one of my games, but overall it looks like and impressive collection of EU powers.

Thanks, cheshire. And as I said in the work that it's up to the GM on which powers are permitted or not. I did my homework and indicate when some powers should be available for the Jedi and which powers should be considered "lost" or forbidden, yet leave open a door for the GM to come up with an adventure. Case in point, Darth Plagueis' notes on manipulating midi-chlorians from The Book of Sith.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
This thread motivated me to complete my project. Here's the link so you can check it out.

The Force Compendium

I'll be looking this over in considerably more detail in the coming week. But my initial thoughts are: WOW!

You've included more powers than I thought cold possibly be made for the game, and I didnt see anything when skimming it that looked terribly unbalanced or redundant.

I particularly like that you broke down the powers largely by tradition and included notes on playing different groups.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to reading things over in more detail when I have a little time.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Forceally wrote:

The Force Compendium

I'll be looking this over in considerably more detail in the coming week. But my initial thoughts are: WOW!

You've included more powers than I thought cold possibly be made for the game, and I didnt see anything when skimming it that looked terribly unbalanced or redundant.

I particularly like that you broke down the powers largely by tradition and included notes on playing different groups.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to reading things over in more detail when I have a little time.

First off, as I indicated the powers from Wanted by Cracken, DarkStryder: Endgame, and Star Wars Adventure Journal #15 were reproduced here. I've also included some powers from SWRPGNetwork because at the time it was down and defunct. Though it's back, I don't consider it a good source because they're still putting back all the stats that were listed. As you read, you'll see where the powers either original came from or where they appeared so you know where to find their source/first appearance. As for being unbalanced, I tried to balance those potential unbalancers by adding restrictions - specific time periods only - or declaring them lost or limited to specific individuals or traditions.

And cheshire, I've been working on this for at least a year. Maybe more. Lost track of how long.

Last edited by Forceally on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

As you read, you'll see where the powers either original came from or where they appeared so you know where to find their source/first appearance. As for being unbalanced, I tried to balance those potential unbalancers by adding restrictions - specific time periods only - or declaring them lost or limited to specific individuals or traditions.

I think he was saying that you did a fair job of adding those balancing mechanics. WEG themselves added several powers --as well as other stats-- where they included the caveat "don't let your players use this." Making them only available to those traditions is a fair means of balance if you intend for your players to encounter these other traditions, but not learn them. Much like if your players were on a diplomatic mission to enlist the help of the Happans instead of giving them a Happan warship.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. That's fine. Just thought I make some clarifications.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everything I said was intended as a compliment. I'm more than a little impressed at the detail and scope of the project.

I've already seen some powers that will be finding their way into my games, even if a lot of those will be restricted in one way or another.

All in all, its an incredible resource, and I'm really looking forward to making use of it! Any chance you are working on any other projects that we should know about? Wink

Any chance that you would be interested in contributing to the Force User's Handbook?
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see references to powers like Pall of the Dark Side, and Thought Bomb in the prerequisite list, but I don't see the full text of the power describe anywhere. Am I missing it, or is there an omission? If so, was the omission deliberate?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I see references to powers like Pall of the Dark Side, and Thought Bomb in the prerequisite list, but I don't see the full text of the power describe anywhere. Am I missing it, or is there an omission? If so, was the omission deliberate?

I think the Thought Bomb is covered in the Jedi Accademy Training Manual Conversion.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any powers that have been incorporated in Gry Sarth's PDF Star Wars RPG (D6) - Force Powers, which is a compilation of powers from all West End Games sourcebooks, and any powers featured in Gry Sarth's d6 conversions of the d20 power introduced in any of Wizards of the Coast's books aren't listed because they've been previously presented in the associated PDF's.

Hmm, maybe in a future update, I should add a Reference page where you can find these powers.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Hmm, maybe in a future update, I should add a Reference page where you can find these powers.

That would be a great idea. That way, people would know where to find the power, even if it dosnt appear in your collection.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Guardian,

I like the new powers you presented in the PDF, and couldn't at first pass see anything that leaped out at me as incorrect or needing work.

However, having a reference that lists ALL powers and which of the PDFs they are located in would be a HUGE resource, I know I'm generally flipping between PDFs all the time and have a 'living index' for my own reference for the things that crop up more than once in my games as a quick reference resource, and would love something similar for Force Powers...

Keep up the great work! Smile

T.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: