The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Warhammer Tech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Warhammer Tech Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Warhammer Tech Reply with quote

While I prefer to play in the SWU, I've been using Warhammer 40K races, weaponry and technology to flesh out my SWU. There are a lot of good ideas to be had, and the conversions are relatively simple, especially when converting from the older, more detailed versions of WH40K. This, then is my first entry in what I hope to be a string of conversions.

TELEPORTER
Scale: Capital Ship
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery: Teleporter
Difficulty: Easy
Time To Use: One round to teleport, one minute to charge up / recharge between uses.
Cost: Not Available For Sale (Availability 4, X)
Weight: 1,000 metric tons (Must be installed in either a capital-scale starship, or a large building).
Capacity: Up to 6 character-scale objects, or 1 speeder-scale object, or all objects within a 3 meter radius around a designated point.
Base Range: 100 kilometers / 10 units (+5 Difficulty for every additional 50 kilometers / 5 units)
Deviation: 1D6 meters per range bracket (Built-in safety features prevent teleported objects from emerging inside of other solid objects). Use the grenade deviation chart to determine direction of deviation.
Limitations: +1 difficulty for teleporting through more than 10 meters of solid matter, with penalty increasing for every additional 10 meters.
Transition is physically taxing for living beings and droids, inflicting 3D stun damage.
Usage:
To make a successful teleport, the operator must roll his skill vs. the adjusted difficulty (Easy, plus any modifiers). Compare the result to the following chart:
    Roll >/= Difficulty = Teleport is successful.
    Roll < Difficulty by <10 = Teleport is unsuccessful, but operator may try again the next round
    Roll < Difficulty by 10 or more = Equipment Malfunction. Operator may try again the next round, but an additional failure by 10 or more results in a Teleport accident (Roll 1D on the following table):
      1 = Subjects are reduced to primal atoms and scattered in space, lost forever
      2 = Subjects are reduced to primal atoms and reconstituted as a mass of tangled flesh and other material that dies immediately.
      3 = Subjects are warped and twisted, forming twisted and scarred parodies of their former selves. They survive, but all attributes are reduced by 1D, and Move by 3.
      4 = Subjects remain intact but suffer extreme and irreparable damage to a single random limb, necessitating amputation.
      5 = Subjects are fundamentally unaffected, but their skin tissue / exterior is scarred and twisted, as if badly burned.
      6 = A single subject will be mutated into a heaving bag of protoplasm with a misshapen head and a single functioning limb, but survives. Reduce Str and Dex to 0D, Move to 0, and Per, Tech and Mech to 1D. Knowledge remains unchanged, and character can still use any Force powers. Multiple subjects are reconstituted into a single being with multiple heads and limbs, but one single (disturbed) personality that is an amalgam of its constituent beings. This new creature takes the highest attributes and skills of its component beings, subject to the same penalties listed for a single subject.

Teleporting a subject back into the teleporter from a remote point is more difficult than teleporting them out (+10 difficulty). To make a successful return teleport, the operator must first lock onto his target, which requires a homing signal of some sort. Dedicated teleport homers (which generate a strong, constant signal) are preferred for their reliability (-10 to difficulty), but a normal comlink will suffice in a pinch. The target must remain stationary for 1 round to establish the lock. Once the lock is established, all creatures and associated objects within a 3 meter radius of the homing signal will be teleported (A teleport homer will allow the user the option of transporting only himself and his equipment).

A Teleporter can be used for ship to ship, ship to surface, or surface to ship travel, but the curvature of any planetary surface limits the effective range of any surface to surface teleport to less than 20 kilometers. When using a teleporter to board another starship, the target vessel's shields will interfere (add Shield dice to Teleport difficulty) and the teleport operator will need to compensate for the target starship's relative movement unless the targeted starship is holding formation with the teleporting vessel. In game terms, a teleporter functions just like a weapon system, in that the destination vessel must be targeted, and is allowed a dodge in reaction.

Capsule: A teleporter uses highly focused gravity waves to warp space-time to temporarily connect two separate points in space. Once a connection is established, a small bubble of material energy (enough for several characters) can be forced across the connection, quite literally moving objects from one point to the other by bypassing the intervening space. The technology is rare and dangerous, but that hasn't stopped the Imperial military (as well as others) from making use of it. While the physical hazards involved in teleporter operation are high, the Imperial Navy will, on occasion, use teleporters to insert and extract elite strike teams, or to retrieve high-value targets from a planetary surface. The actual process of teleportation is physically strenuous, and personnel losses from operational accidents prevent teleporters from supplanting standard shuttle craft, but there are situations where teleporters are very useful.

This is based on stats I pulled from the 1st Edition Warhammer 40,000 sourcebook: Rogue Trader. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has access to this tech?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on how you want to use it. The default would be primarily Imperial units, with one or two in the hands of the Alliance (depending on the era). I know you have your own version of the WH40K crossover in your SWU, so it could be unique to them, yet unknown to the galaxy at large. Mostly I was just looking to do a straight D6 conversion of WH40K tech; the teleporter was something I had been considering for a while, and I just sat down one night and wrote it out.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly started with the easiest part... Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, true. Interestingly enough, the stats for the teleporter were already written using D6 rolls, even the mishap table was a 1D6.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any requests for the next project?

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make good rules for the Bolter.

The problem is that in SW blasters (in the movies) are more or less random, some shots kill, some just give you a burn. Bolters are just killers (in the fiction). How do you do that rules-wise without making them no-brainers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The problem is that in SW blasters (in the movies) are more or less random, some shots kill, some just give you a burn. Bolters are just killers (in the fiction). How do you do that rules-wise without making them no-brainers.

What are your main complaints about current stats for the bolter?

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

To start with, I didnt know they existed (I have my own somewhere, but I was never satisfied with those).

As pointed out, the problem is that its a 'killer' weapon (a .75 gyrojet with armourpiercing exploding ammo), but how do you translate that into game terms without unbalancing the whole game?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

To start with, I didnt know they existed (I have my own somewhere, but I was never satisfied with those).

For my own WH40K conversion, I was actually considering merging bolters with shotguns, so that you have one large-caliber multi-shot rapid fire weapon whose ammunition can be specifically tailored for a given effect (and a 12-gauge shotgun shell is .73 inches, so shotgun shells and slugs are basically the same diameter).

Quote:
As pointed out, the problem is that its a 'killer' weapon (a .75 gyrojet with armourpiercing exploding ammo), but how do you translate that into game terms without unbalancing the whole game?

That is definitely a problem. Comparatively speaking, bolters inflict more damage than lasguns and autoguns by WH40K rules, so an accurate conversion would have them inflicting atleast 1D more damage than comparable SWU blasters and slug weapons. The downside would likely be in the realm of ammo costs, or maybe a heavy recoil that would require the enhanced physique of an Astartes or an Ork to use properly. The Morellian .48 (a SWU heavy slug pistol) inflicts 6D+1 damage, but pays the price in accuracy if you attempt to fire it more than once in a round.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall from the Inquisitor rulebook shotguns could fire bolter rounds if desired.

In fact I believe shotguns were one of the most versitile weapons in the entire game.

As for the bolter lethality issue it could be as simple as making the mass reactive explosion somewhat less of a sure thing.

From memory a bolter shell detonated when it detected a mass greater than water, that means there is the possibility soft tissue impacts would not cause the detination.

Perhaps the bolter could have a low damage unless the target is wearing armor (or potentially has a high strength score) unless a difficult called shot is made that ensures the round impacts near bone or other suitably dense material.

Bad luck for species with an exoskeleton but some of the squishier species might have a lot of minor injuries from bolts passing through or just impacting in them.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
some suggestions: if each bolter round has a density scanner, they'll probably be prohibitively expensive. A .75 gyrojet would probably either have significant backblast and massive recoil, or a low muzzle velocity. (Increased difficulty to hit, especially moving targets.) With a .75 round, propellant, sensor package, and explosive payload, bolter ammo would also be large and heavy.

All in all, a powerful weapon, but highly specialized.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here are some basic stats for the Boltgun, Bolt Pistol and Heavy Bolter. Specialized bolt rounds to follow:

Type: Bolt Gun
Scale: Character
Skill: Firearms: Bolt Gun
Ammo: 50
Cost: 2,000 (Bolts cost 20 credits each for standard bolts. Prices vary for specialized rounds).
Availability: 3, X
Range: 3-30/100/300
Damage: 6D (On a Damage roll Wild Dice Failure, the bolt’s mass reactive detonator either malfunctions or does not detect sufficient mass to detonate. Reduce damage by 2D).

Type: Bolt Pistol
Skill: Firearms: Bolt Pistol
Ammo: 25
Cost: 1,000 (Bolts cost 20 credits each for standard bolts. Prices vary for specialized rounds).
Range: 3-10/30/120
Damage: 6D (On a Damage roll Wild Dice Failure, the bolt’s mass reactive detonator either malfunctions or does not detect sufficient mass to detonate. Reduce damage by 2D).

Type: Heavy Bolter
Skill: Firearms: Heavy Bolter
Ammo: 200
Cost: 4,000 (Bolts cost 20 credits each for standard bolts. Prices vary for specialized rounds).
Rapid-Fire: 2D
Range: 3-50/120/300
Special: Due to the bulky nature of this weapon, the gunner can not move and fire in the same round.

Note: The Wild Dice effect occurs automatically, and does not require a confirmation roll. However, if the shooter calls his shot (i.e. aims for a specific body part at increased difficulty) or hits his target with multiple rounds (using the Rapid-Fire rules), the Wild Dice effect must re-roll to confirm that the bolt did not detonate.

EDIT: Edited to remove Auto-Fire from standard bolter (as the Warhammer stats for standard bolters do not include a rapid fire option).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are some stat write-ups for various potential kinds of ammo that bolt weapons could use. I've broken them up into three categories; slug (solid bullet), shot (scattering) and bolt (solid shot with built-in sensors, warheads or other tech). The list isn't complete yet, as I haven't come up with rules that I like yet for Shot rounds, or for incendiary weapons, but this is what I have so far. The next logical step would be to list credit prices and availability for individual rounds.

Slug:
Standard - Simple solid metal slug (5D damage)
Baton - "Beanbag" round (5D Stun)
Dum-dum - Designed to fragment inside the target, causing greater damage (5D+2 damage to unarmored targets, but is -1D to damage against armored targets)
Man-Stopper - Much more powerful round that inflicts heavy damage, but is harder to control (6D+1 damage, but increase To Hit Difficulty by 1 level)

Bolt*:
Standard: 6D Damage
Fragmentation: Uses a proximity fuse to detonate the round before it hits the target, showering the target with shrapnel (5D damage, but decreases To Hit Difficulty by 1 level).
Penetrator: Adamantium-tipped shell that has better penetration against armor (6D Damage, reduces target's armor effectiveness by 1D)
Haywire: Replaces explosive charge with a miniature EMP generator that is devastating to droids and electronics (4D damage to organic targets, 7D to droids and electronics)
Executioner: Upgraded bolt with a homing guidance system that tracks targets while in flight (5D damage, +3D to hit, but gunner must aim for 1 round to give the bolt a chance to lock on).
Stalker: Replaces gyro-jet propulsion with compressed gas and a smaller warhead to greatly reduce the noise and flash of weapons fire (4D damage, but bolter fire can only be detected on a Moderate Perception or Search roll, and only if within 20 meters of the shooter).
*On a Damage roll Wild Dice Failure, the bolt’s mass reactive detonator either malfunctions or does not detect sufficient mass to detonate. Reduce damage by 2D. This occurs automatically, and does not require a confirmation roll. However, if the shooter calls his shot (i.e. aims for a specific body part at increased difficulty) or hits his target with multiple rounds (using the Rapid-Fire rules), the Wild Dice effect must re-roll to confirm that the bolt did not detonate.

Shot:
Range: 2-5/10/25
Damage: Varies by Range and Shot Type
Assault*: 0 / 1 / 1 / 2
Scatter - Standard shotgun round (Damage: 5D / 4D+2 / 4D / 3D)
Flechette - Replaces standard ball shot with a cluster of metallic needles for superior armor penetration (As Scatter, but reduces target's armor protection by 1D)
Beehive - Replaces ball shot with rubber balls for non-lethal damage. (As Scatter, but inflicts Stun damage)

*New Rule: Assault. On a successful hit (whether damage is inflicted or not), a weapon with an Assault rating receives an automatic extra hit against a nearby target. Using the stats above as an example, if a character fires a Scatter shot round at a target at Medium range hits his target, he may immediately re-roll to hit 1 additional target standing near the original target (within 1-2 meters, at GM's discretion).

EDIT: Altered rules for Stalker (Silenced) Bolts and removed the Shells with Pending Stats list, as I have finally come up with rules that I like for them (posted below).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
some suggestions: if each bolter round has a density scanner, they'll probably be prohibitively expensive. A .75 gyrojet would probably either have significant backblast and massive recoil, or a low muzzle velocity. (Increased difficulty to hit, especially moving targets.) With a .75 round, propellant, sensor package, and explosive payload, bolter ammo would also be large and heavy.

All in all, a powerful weapon, but highly specialized.

In the 40K lore the bolter is a hybrid weapon it works like a regular firearm to shoot the bolt and then once the projectile has traveled a set distance the gyrojet and mass sensor kicks in.

I suppose that means that unless the range is set to almost nothing targets that are in close will not have to worry about the explosive detonation.

crmcneill wrote:
Bolt*:
Standard: 6D Damage
*On a Damage roll Wild Dice Failure, the bolt’s mass reactive detonator either malfunctions or does not detect sufficient mass to detonate. Reduce damage by 2D. This occurs automatically, and does not require a confirmation roll. However, if the shooter calls his shot (i.e. aims for a specific body part at increased difficulty) or hits his target with multiple rounds (using the Rapid-Fire rules), the Wild Dice effect must re-roll to confirm that the bolt did not detonate.

The standard damage might be a little high in my mind given that a standard bolt has the same strength four that a shoota does and that is just an oversized machinegun. The bolter has a better AP rating and range than a shoota but the damage is the same. Remember a bolter should only successfully wound a basic guardsman two thirds of the time.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: