The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What (to you) is NOT Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What (to you) is NOT Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good way to make something incredible not so incredible. I like it. Evil or Very Mad
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also wondered why we have not seen one of the other aspects of ST tech i could easily see in SW... Medical trycorders!
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assumed there was a disposable version in a medpack.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Star Wars isn't clean. The Empire, in particular, is spic and span. But, of course, it's the Empire, and that puts a certain spin on what 'spic and span' represents.

At the same time, the depiction of 'spic and span' as totalitarian isn't a statement of cynicism. Frequently, the idea of anti-spic-and-span-ness goes along with moral relativism ('the world is just messy and any attempt to clean it up will result in failure'), which Star Wars clearly isn't. Star Wars is pretty idealistic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I just assumed there was a disposable version in a medpack.

It's not like there aren't all kinds of hand-held scanners already available in the SWU. Remember ESB when Han used a hand-held while searching for Luke on Hoth? Frankly I'd be surprised if there wasn't some form of hand-held medical scanner available in the SWU.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, but not what i consider to be akin to the tricorder in level of analysis.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the tricorder was a little overpowered, IMHO
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I agree, I loved nearly all of the Star Wars fiction up until the Vong war. At that point, it stopped feeling like Star Wars as they started killing off major characters one after another, and slaughtring entire civilizations.

Come on, from when it is something new. I remember in some movie they blew out the whole planet in few seconds. Then some nice grandpa was slaughter and many Bothans died..... Wink.

Major characters? Only one Wookie, little kid and a Bothan in the long series of books. And in three movies (which when taken as books are equal to one Vong book) theyhave killed: Obi, old chancellor and his bodyguard. I say that kill ratio per page is much higher in original trilogy Wink.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
I agree, I loved nearly all of the Star Wars fiction up until the Vong war. At that point, it stopped feeling like Star Wars as they started killing off major characters one after another, and slaughtring entire civilizations.

Come on, from when it is something new. I remember in some movie they blew out the whole planet in few seconds. Then some nice grandpa was slaughter and many Bothans died..... .

Major characters? Only one Wookie, little kid and a Bothan in the long series of books. And in three movies (which when taken as books are equal to one Vong book) theyhave killed: Obi, old chancellor and his bodyguard. I say that kill ratio per page is much higher in original trilogy Wink.

True, but in the original trilogy, the story evolved around Luke, not Obi. In the Vong book, Anakin was a a focal character. In the case of the slaughter of millions: In th movies, the Death Star powered up and blew up the world, it was clean and sudden. The Vong seemed to go out of their way to make people suffer, they reveled in suffering and torture.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably the only one to bring this up...

Character Classes...

Character classes for me are about as non Star Wars as you can get. Too many people in the stories and movies just don't fit so neatly into the class box, and cross classing or multi-classing just doesn't do them justice either.

As for tech, I like to leave most of the Star Trek tech out of the SWU. If it were meant to be there, we'd see it in the movies.

There are very potent medical scanners in some of the gear books, but for me a tricorder is just too overpowered, too neat, too all in one solution for the SWU.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
Character classes for me are about as non Star Wars as you can get.
Agreed. Lando Calrissian is a perfect example of a character who does not fit into a class (despite having plenty of it!)

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Crell Damar wrote:
Character classes for me are about as non Star Wars as you can get.
Agreed. Lando Calrissian is a perfect example of a character who does not fit into a class (despite having plenty of it!)

His class should be: Lando Calrission, lvl 22
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na.. it should be suave SOB L22.
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old-timer and watched the original movies in an actual movie theatre the first time around, so my take on what is SW will differ from the younger folks.

* It's not SW if it gets too dark. E.g. the last ep I remember of S4 of the Clone Wars had a story where Darth Maul was still alive and some very disturbingly weird robot-spider cyborg abomination. The show-makers took things waaaay too dark, IMHO.

* It's not SW if it's not rollicking, action fun with quick one-liners. When it get's too brooding and angsty it isn't SW.

* It's not SW if the clones are no longer faceless mooks who keel over at the first laser-blast. Now, I really enjoy the Clone Wars, but humanising them is a mistake.

* It's really not SW if the story is more about intragalactic politics and senatorial meetings and discussion of interstellar budgets. *cough*Eps I, II, III*cough*

* It's not in any way SW if the baddies are made sympathetic and redemptive. *cough*AnnakinSkywalker*cough*

* And most importantly, it's not SW if the Force is all about blood corpuscules and junk. The Force should be vast, mystical, beyond description or categorisation -- much like a reading of the Dao De Jing (Tao Te Ching), which is probably where Lucas got the idea for it, FWICT.

* Also, SW has never been about Astro Care Bears. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Ewoks! You twee, annoying little dust-bunnies! You are not Star Wars! Gah!)

* If Disney's writers have any sense, they will look to the old Flash Gordon for inspiration. Note kindly that I mean LARRY "BUSTER" CRABBE as Flash, not that Playgirl cardboard-cutout of a non-thespian in that 1980 abortion. Ugh. Also they should read the original Alex Raymond strip from, say, 1934 to 1941. SW owes a ton to Flash! Let's hope they don't take their inspiration from Nolan's dark, brooding, angsty Dark Knight movies. See above comment.

* It's not SW if there's too much techno-babble. In the SW galaxy there's gadgets and they work. That's all you need to know! Techno-babble = Star Trek, esp. TNG.

/angry old geezer dozes off in armchair/
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch who you're calling young! Laughing

I agree, Star Wars should be light hearted, with the characters poking fun at each other.

Interesting tidbit: Lucas actually wanted to do Flash Gordon, but couldn't, so he wrote Star Wars instead. So something good DID come from that horribly bad movie (aside from the soundtrack, which was amazing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: