The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion Damage against Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ion Damage against Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Ion Damage against Droids Reply with quote

Hi,

can anybody tell me where I can find the rules regarding Ion Damage against Droids?

I can't really find it. I can't even find any information regarding ion damage at all.

thanks in advance
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, at least off the top of my head I can't think of any specific RAW for ionised droids. There is for vehicles/starships.
My guess, treat as ionised vehicles if NPC, treat as stun damage if PC?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Good point, at least off the top of my head I can't think of any specific RAW for ionised droids. There is for vehicles/starships.
My guess, treat as ionised vehicles if NPC, treat as stun damage if PC?

My first thought was, "This HAS to have been covered in Cynabar's" but I didn't see it there. I looked in the R&E and didn't find it there either. Maybe I'm missing it. But for all practical purposes, I would assume that the creators intended us to use it as the equivalent of stun damage for organics. That is, however, just an assumption.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least it's reassuring that it's not because of me that I can't find it.

Will probably count it as Stun damage for Droids then (or maybe always make a Stun result, even if they can resist it. I mean, its ionizing damage agains machines, that should always have an influence on the circuitry when hitting).

thanks for the help
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a slight variation on the ionization rules vs. ships. For every Ionized result (i.e. Controls Ionized), the droid take a -1D hit to all attributes. Any droid reduced to 0D in an attribute can't use any skills related to that attribute until the Ionization results roll off (1 per round).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from the weapons PDF.. from the Ion pistol

Ion guns fire streams of energy that wreak
havoc on electrical systems, and they are usually employed
against droids, light vehicles, and some types of equipment.
When used normally, an ion gun fries a droid’s circuits
and internal components, inflicting lethal damage. If set
to “stun,” it works much the same as a blaster set on stun
works against organic opponents. A droid stunned in such a
way is out of commission for 2D minutes. An ion gun’s blast
has no effect on organic targets, unless such targets have
cybernetic replacements.

So it seems to me that you have 2 settings even for ion weapons.. lethal and non lethal.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Looking at the weapon rules. Shoulda thoughta that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first though would have been the droids book, but since someone already checked there and came up with nothing, i thought where would the next best place be...
How's about the weapons themselves...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the only official treatment is the DEMP gun in the Imperial Sourcebook, which uses the following stats:

DEMP Gun
Model: Merr-Sonn DEMP Gun
Type: Personal anti-droid electromagnetic pulse weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster
Ammo: 10
Cost: 500
Availability: 2, R
Range: 3-10/30/120
Damage: 2D (setting 1), 3D (setting 2), 4D (setting 3)

DEMP Carbine
Model: Merr-Sonn DEMP Carbine
Type: Personal anti-droid electromagnetic pulse weapon
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster
Ammo: 10
Cost: 750
Availability: 2, R
Range: 3-25/60/250
Damage: 3D (setting 1), 4D (setting 2), 5D (setting 3)

Per the description, the three different settings produce varying degrees of effect. Setting 1 induces some temporary ionization effects, Setting 2 inflicts the droid equivalent of Stun damage, while Setting 3 inflicts normal damage.

Personally, I don't like the write-up, and find it ineffective for representing what the stats say the weapon does, so I use the following:

Damage: 4D (gun) / 5D (carbine)

Setting 1: Inflicts ionization damage, as per the rules I described above.
Setting 2: Inflicts stun damage
Setting 3: Inflicts normal damage.

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide has a Jawa Ionization Gun. Granted, it's with the 1st edition rules, and so it's a bit different, it does put a spin on the ion weapon. It says it "Affects droids only. Calculate damage for knockout purposes only. No permanent damage occurs." A different type of "Droid Knockout Gun" On page 77 of Galladinum's Fantastic Technology does "ion damage" and states that the "droid may be restarted." As you point out, the DEMP gun from the ISB describes setting two as "stun damage" in the flavor text.

Many of the ion weapons in Gry's weapons book is a conversion of the Arms and Equipment Guide. Not a bad touchpoint, but not exactly official either.

If anyone is looking for an "official rule" then it looks like the flavor text allows for some latitude in interpretation without providing a hard and fast rule.

As for me and my house rules, I'll probably be sticking with something similar to either the human stun rules, or rule that the droid can be awoken with a Very Easy droid programing/repair roll.

Funny how most of these "official rules" discussions never go more than a page before it becomes a comparison between house rules. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Funny how most of these "official rules" discussions never go more than a page before it becomes a comparison between house rules. Smile

The problem is that, due to the schizophrenic nature of the various rule changes between versions, not all stats were updated to match. Under 1E rules, any successful hit inflicted a Stunned result, even if it didn't beat the target's damage soak, so having a weapon like the DEMP inflict only 2D damage was fine since any hit (even one that didn't cause damage) would still cause a target to fall to the ground and take no further actions that round (assuming the same rule applies to a droid-specific weapon). When 2E and 2R&E did away with that rule, they didn't change the weapon stats to match, and 2D damage is unlikely to inflict much damage. As such, house rules have to used to upgrade the weapon's stats so that they better fit into the 2R&E world as opposed to the 1E world.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight correction.. you only fall to the ground/lose actions at wounded, not stunned.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Slight correction.. you only fall to the ground/lose actions at wounded, not stunned.

Not by 1E rules. I double checked last night before I posted. By 1E rules, any hit that rolls less than the target's soak still inflicts a Stunned result just for hitting. The effects only last until the end of that round, but it still has an effect.

Personally, I like the rules that way. I might change it to allow higher strength characters to ignore the stun depending on their soak roll, but it would definitely take some of the edge off of Wookiees and Esoomians shrugging off blaster fire.

Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would ion damage effect a droid like a HRT (eg; Guri)?

Seeing as they are close to human as possible, would they still be effected the same way as a droid?
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting question. Though I assume that somewhere in the interior it has circuits, ergo the ion weapon would still overload them, shutting her down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: