The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hello
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

New here to Rancorpit. I am also new to D6 games in general. I have played all versions of the Starwars d20 found it somewhat lacking. I have yet to play D6 Star Wars but to me it seems to capture the feel of Star Wars better. I have found much of the information here quite usefull in creating my setting for the Star Wars Universe and I love the well done prfessional looking fan made books here as well.

I have been a Star Wars fan since childhood though I have never been a member of any Star Wars site before. This is the first Star Wars site I have joined unless you count TOR game. However I do not use the forums there.

I must say I am thrilled to see activity on a site for a game that has been out of print so long. I lucked into the books and was affraid I would find very little extra or current info within the game system. I have been looking for a new game system in general lately and oddly it seems the older systems like D6 are far better than the newer systems coming out today. At least in my opinion.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit. Personally, I've found the books even easier to come by now than when they were in print. Things like Cracken's Rebel Field Guide were the SWU equivalent of Big Foot or the Loch Ness monster. Now, they are as close as a credit card and Amazon or eBay.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we've got a fair bit of new material being generated. Admittedly, I've been doing more of my work with OpenD6 since we finished up the conversion guides for the D6 versions of the SAGA edition books. However, I do my best to make sure that most of my pieces for the D6 Magazine are highly compatible with Star Wars.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy converstion guide for Star Wars to Open D6 and Visa Versa maybe?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I just use OpenD6 as a collection of house rules that I pick and choose from to apply to my own version of 2R&E. In addition to rules cherry picked from 2E, 1E and a bunch of stuff I have made up on my own.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
Is there an easy conversion guide for Star Wars to Open D6 and Visa Versa maybe?

For the most part there isn't, though that's largely on account that most of the stats port right over without any "conversion" as such. Sometimes you just drop a stat or carry something over. For example you would drop the Open D6 "Strength Damage" stat, because in the 2ndE (Star Wars RPG 2nd Edition) the STR is your strength damage.

And there are a number of things that are slipped in as "Open D6" which are really just patent examples of Star Wars R&E (2nd Edition Revised and Expanded) that just have the trademarks scrubbed. For example, instead of Imperial Stormtroopers I'll have Galactic Government (or GalGov) Legionaries. In another adventure I have "bots" instead of "droids." Simple nomenclature takes care of 90% of the work.

Like crmcneil said, much of what's in the OD6 is just houserules after that, such as advantages and disadvantages taken at character creation, or how to calculate HP if you want to add that option.

Kind of like there isn't a "Cockney to Queen's English conversion guide." Most of the time if you read what's on the page aloud you figure out what the words are meant to be. Though if there are any specific examples that trip you up, let me know. I'm more than happy to help!
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes but is there not a difference in the size scales between the two systems. I have not looked at open D6 yet so I am going on what I have read at other places. I might have to look into the system though where I live there are not hobby shops or comic shops that sell rpg material anymore so it is hard to veiw a book other than buying it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beautiful thing about Open D6 is that they've released the PDFs for free. The problem is that in some cases you're getting what you're paying for. Much of it isn't portable over to Star Wars simply because it deals with fantasy or noir settings.

You can find the books here:
http://criticalpressmedia.com/publications/open-d6/

I'm not fond of the aliens book, and I haven't really looked into the Space Ships book, though Grimace has said some positive things about it, IIRC. The Star Wars specific stuff is mostly in the D6 Magazine

http://wickednorthgames.com/d6-magazine/
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will have to look into those then.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Draven! I think the more you explore this game, the more you'll find that it really captures the feel of Star Wars. I've been a huge fan since 1977, and - though I was an avid role-player when the WEG came out - never got into it back then.

It wasn't until the late 90's or so that someone finally showed me how cool this system was, and now I'm a big fan! Smile
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=D6_Holocron_Wiki

for a large collection of, well, everything.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I stayed away from this system due to misinformation. I was told it was a dice pool system and I hate those. So when I started my quest for anything other than d20, white wolf, and Palladium systems I decided I would look at and read and system I could find. This is one of just a few that I liked. It seems to capture Star Wars quite well. I am a fan of Star Wars in most of it's incarnation. I however unpopular it is like all the movies, most the books, the comics, and the cartoons. I find that almost everything form any of these can be captured in this game rather well.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at d6holocron already and I find it to be a great site though I have found at least one other site that seems to be pretty good as well. But this site and d6holocron are the best I have found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: