The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AT-ST Weapon Pods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> AT-ST Weapon Pods Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: AT-ST Weapon Pods Reply with quote

I read on the Star Wars website (http://starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/technology/atstwalker/) that AT-STs have side mounted weapon pods.

Does this mean that the weapon pods are modular and can be replaced with different options?

I assumed yes.

So here are the original stats for the AT-ST. I included some other options below and would like your input.

AT-ST
Craft: All Terrain Scout Transport
Type: Medium walker
Scale: Walker
Length: 6.4 meters long, 8.6 meters tall
Skill: Walker operation: AT-ST
Crew: 2, skeleton: 1/+15
Crew Skill: Missile weapons 4D, vehicle blasters 4D+2,
walker operation 5D
Cargo Capacity: 200 kilograms
Cover: Full
Cost: Not available for sale
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 30; 90 kmh
Body Strength: 3D
Weapons:

Twin Blaster Cannon

Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (pilot)
Skill: Vehicle blasters
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 50-200/1/2 Km
Damage: 4D

Twin Light Blaster Cannon

Crew: 1 (co-pilot)
Skill: Vehicle blasters
Range: 50-300/500/1 Km
Damage: 2D

Concussion Grenade Launcher

Crew: 1 (co-pilot)
Skill: Missile weapons: grenade launcher
Range: 10-50/100/200
Damage: 3D

May replace Concussion Grenade Launcher and Twin Light Blaster Cannon with the following:

Vehicle Flamer
Model: Merr-Sonn CR-28 Vehicle Flamer
Type: Flame Projector
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Flame-thrower
Ammo: 50
Fire Control: 3D
Fire Rate: 1/2
Range: 3-7/10/20
Damage: 5D+2 (first round; 4D for next 10 rounds unless extinguished)

Anti-Infantry Missile Launcher
Model: (Made-up)
Type: Anti-infantry missile launcher
Scale: Character
Skill: Missile weapons
Ammo: 20
Fire Rate: 1
Range: 10-100/200/500 m
Blast Radius: 0-2/5/10
Damage: 6D/4D/2D

Ant-Vehicle Missile Launcher
Model: (Made-up)
Type: Anti-vehicle missile launcher
Skill: Missile Weapons
Ammo: 20
Fire Rate: 1
Range: 10-100/200/500 m
Blast Radius: 0-2
Damage: 6D

Mini Proton Torpedo Launcher
Model: Bryn and Gweith Mounted MPTL 17 (compact)
Type: Anti-Vehicle Proton Torpedo Launcher
Skill: Missile Weapons
Ammo: 5
Fire Rate: 1/2
Range: 20-60/3/16 km
Damage: 9D

Double Ion Cannon
Model: BlasTech Mounted Ion Cannon MICI
Type: Vehicle Ion Cannon
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Vehicle Blasters: Ion Cannon
Range: 3-50/120/300
Damage: 4D (Ionization Damage)

Targeting Suite
Effects: Adds Fire Control: +2D to all weapons (except Vehicle Flamer).

Sensor Suite
Provides the following Sensors:
Passive: 2 km/0D
Scan: 4 km/1D
Search: 6 km/2D
Focus: 300 m/3D

I also would like to have a rotary repeating weapon to add (sort of like the one on the AT-ST in IMPS: The Relentless).

Your feedback and additions are appreciated.

Last edited by Dromdarr_Alark on Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 'em, especially the infantry missiles, something I always thought the AT- ST could have used...

The ion cannon, though, may be a bit heavy on the damage rating, as ion cannons are generally quite large, but there really isn't a bunch of room up there on an AT-ST.

Complete Starship Construction System
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I like 'em, especially the infantry missiles, something I always thought the AT- ST could have used...

The ion cannon, though, may be a bit heavy on the damage rating, as ion cannons are generally quite large, but there really isn't a bunch of room up there on an AT-ST.

Thanks for the feedback.

The ion cannons are speeder scale, so they are effectively the same damage rating as the light blasters they replace.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe instead of a ion cannon mount, you could use a Conner Web launcher to tie down fleeing vehicles? Another mount style I could see them using would be an AA pod. Something to engage those pesky snub fighters in atmo. Either slug thrower or warhead in style rather than blaster.

Last edited by Ral_Brelt on Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the AA pod idea. Another option is a mobile ECM suite, that both can jam enemy sensors as well as comms.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like the AA pod idea. Another option is a mobile ECM suite, that both can jam enemy sensors as well as comms.

Would you then need to beef up insulation in the base AT-ST model? Or perhaps, make a model dedicated to this mission. If you intend it to be a pod that swaps to any standard AT-ST, I'd think you'd need to A) change production specs so all manufacturing included the proper insulation to keep them from falling prey to their own weapons, and B) institute a mass-retrofit operation to bring all currently existing models up to the new specs.

In addition to making the Empire's entire stock of these more formidable, if the Rebels get wind of such a force-wide retrofit, it could provide an interesting plot hook or three for any group of Rebel (or even independent operators). It might be a chance to acquire intel and materiel for the cause.

That, or just an opportunity to try and serious kick their butts...lol

Either way, I like the idea, garkhal.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
Maybe instead of a ion cannon mount, you could use a Conner Web launcher to tie down fleeing vehicles? Another mount style I could see them using would be an AA pod. Something to engage those pesky snub fighters in atmo. Either slug thrower or warhead in style rather than blaster.

I thought conner nets became common after the Battle of Endor. If I were to create that option, then I would add the caveat that they are only available after 5 ABY.

The AA pod sounds interesting. Do you have an idea for stats?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a deflector shield generator?

Deflector Shield Pod

Effects: Provides Shields (2d) for two minutes. Must recharge for 1 hour between use. Has 5 charges.

Is this appropriate for the size and power output?
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on conner net an timeline...was just a thought while at work. As for stats, haven't really thought on it but off the cuff...fc of 3d, DMG is 2 or 3d starfighter scale?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea a lot. AT-ST's are supposed to be used to support ground troops, so having a modular weapons pod for mission specific ordnance makes a lot of sense, especially for a vehicle that is basically a moving support weapon that carries its own high ground emplacement around with it.

A couple of suggestions:

1) The range on the sensor pod is way too high. Even fixed emplacement sensor systems described in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook only have ranges in the 20-30 kilometer range.

2) If you are looking for a high-ROF blaster, various rules for auto-fire have been suggested on the forum, so you have your choice on how to stat them. If you are looking for terminology to call it, auto-blaster works relatively well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
Not sure on conner net an timeline...was just a thought while at work. As for stats, haven't really thought on it but off the cuff...fc of 3d, DMG is 2 or 3d starfighter scale?

Considering the AT-ST cockpit is not designed for the driver to look at the sky, how about a quick mod for allowing it to have AA capabilities we equip it with the mini proton torpedo launcher and the targeting suite. That would give it a fire control of 3D and a damage of about 7D starfighter.

Quote:
1) The range on the sensor pod is way too high. Even fixed emplacement sensor systems described in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook only have ranges in the 20-30 kilometer range.

I was hoping someone was going to mention that! I found the rules for the sensor suite here: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=All_Terrain_Sensor_Platform

It is a variant of the AT-ST that has a sensor suite from a TIE/ln fighter.

How would you adjust the sensors to make them more... sensible?

Quote:
2) If you are looking for a high-ROF blaster, various rules for auto-fire have been suggested on the forum, so you have your choice on how to stat them. If you are looking for terminology to call it, auto-blaster works relatively well.

How about this:

Rotary Auto-blaster
Type: Repeating vehicle blaster
Scale: walker
Skill: vehicle blasters
Ammo: 200
Range: 3-30/100/300
Game Notes: On constant-fire mode, each “shot” fires three blasts; holding the trigger down will fire four “shots” per round. In game terms, once a shot hits in a round, all following shots at the same or immediately adjacent target (within one meter) are one difficulty level lower.
Holding the trigger down for more than three rounds in a row will cause the weapon to overheat. Then it must cool down for five rounds or the barrels will start to melt, exploding and inflicting the weapon's damage against the walker with a 1 on the wild die. If the barrels start to melt, they must be replaced to be used again.

(I added the melting bit so that the rotary blaster wouldn't be OP compared to the standard light blasters.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Considering the AT-ST cockpit is not designed for the driver to look at the sky, how about a quick mod for allowing it to have AA capabilities we equip it with the mini proton torpedo launcher and the targeting suite. That would give it a fire control of 3D and a damage of about 7D starfighter.

A better fix would be to fit it with homing concussion missile launchers, the rules for which are included in the Pirates and Privateers sourcebook.

For my own version of the AT-ST, I just took the twin light blaster cannon, made them Speeder-Scale and gave them the same stats as the main twin blaster cannon. That way, the AT-ST is equally effective against both Walker and Speeder scale targets.

There is also the possibility of an advanced AT-ST mounting a dorsal weapons pod for sensors or heavy weapon launchers, ala the Zentraedi Battle Pods from Robotech. Simply put them on a pedestal mount attached to the rear of the cockpit...

Quote:
I was hoping someone was going to mention that! I found the rules for the sensor suite here: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=All_Terrain_Sensor_Platform

It is a variant of the AT-ST that has a sensor suite from a TIE/ln fighter.

How would you adjust the sensors to make them more... sensible?

Well punned. I recall seeing those stats for an AT-ST with a recon pod.

I would suggest cutting the ranges by 90%, down to 2km / 4km / 6km / 300m respectively. Longer ranges would be more appropriate if you mounted a larger sensor pod on a dorsal mount as I suggested above.

Quote:
How about this:

Rotary Auto-blaster
Type: Repeating vehicle blaster
Scale: walker
Skill: vehicle blasters
Ammo: 200
Range: 3-30/100/300
Game Notes: On constant-fire mode, each “shot” fires three blasts; holding the trigger down will fire four “shots” per round. In game terms, once a shot hits in a round, all following shots at the same or immediately adjacent target (within one meter) are one difficulty level lower.
Holding the trigger down for more than three rounds in a row will cause the weapon to overheat. Then it must cool down for five rounds or the barrels will start to melt, exploding and inflicting the weapon's damage against the walker with a 1 on the wild die. If the barrels start to melt, they must be replaced to be used again.

(I added the melting bit so that the rotary blaster wouldn't be OP compared to the standard light blasters.)

Ammo is generally only a factor for character-scale or ordnance launching weaponry, since energy weapons are powered from the vehicle's main power core, so I don't think ammo should be an issue. I like the idea of the possible meltdown for extended use, but your rules could use a little stream-lining.

The method that seems to work best for autofire is to give a repeater weapon a dice code for autofire, which can then be applied as a damage bonus, an accuracy bonus, or an anti-MAP penalty when shooting at multiple targets.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted the sensor stats above to be more appropriate.

I like the autofire house rule. I will edit that tomorrow.

Ideas and new stats would be cool to see. How about that ECM suite, or maybe a sensor jammer?

I also think a stipulation here would be that many of the alternate pods are more expensive and therefore more scarce (like the proton torpedoes and missiles). That could explain why they don't appear in the movies.

Cheers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Either way, I like the idea, garkhal.

Thanks..
Just thought of another unit. One which has a laser designator in the pod for calling in artillery strikes, or bomber flyby's.

Quote:
There is also the possibility of an advanced AT-ST mounting a dorsal weapons pod for sensors or heavy weapon launchers, ala the Zentraedi Battle Pods from Robotech. Simply put them on a pedestal mount attached to the rear of the cockpit...

I know on the old AT-ST toy, there was an attachable gun that went on the top of the unit, right by the opening hatch. So perhaps add a medium repeater there.

For the ECM/jammer unit, perhaps when it runs, the AT-ST using it suffers the same effect (killing it's fire control) while active. Or make it that the walker can't move when turned on.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just thought of another unit. One which has a laser designator in the pod for calling in artillery strikes, or bomber flyby's.

That would be better as an expansion of the Targeting Suite pod already included. Not only would it increase the accuracy of the AT-ST's weaponry, it could be used in the manner garhkal describes, much like the targeting system on the TIE/fc.

Quote:
I know on the old AT-ST toy, there was an attachable gun that went on the top of the unit, right by the opening hatch. So perhaps add a medium repeater there.

IMO, a medium repeater mounted on the roof would be redundant when added to the AT-ST's other weaponry. A better location would be a remote mount under the tail, allowing the blaster to engage enemies at the AT-ST's feet, whereas a roof mount would be blocked from doing so by the AT-ST's own body. It would also make the AT-ST less vulnerable to irregular attacks when operating with limited infantry support in tight quarters (like the forest on Endor).

Quote:
For the ECM/jammer unit, perhaps when it runs, the AT-ST using it suffers the same effect (killing it's fire control) while active. Or make it that the walker can't move when turned on.

I would suggest dropping the ECM unit entirely, as ECM is not usually a front-line combat mission. ECM units can be deployed from support positions and still be highly effective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: