The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Poss new sith power.. Jun Mao
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Poss new sith power.. Jun Mao Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

I personally would still add in some way to break free of the power (rather than having to kill the Sith or waiting for him to get bored and stop) like wounding the Sith 'casting' it or actively resisting but even without that it seems like a decent power.

That already happens.. Get wounded and any "Held up powers" drop.

Quote:
Perhaps the target could be allowed the opton of a "full reaction" each round with willpower or something to try and break free.

Do you get one with Control mind? Nope.. So why here?[/quote]
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see the point of forcing a PC over to the darkside... YMMV.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affect mind can change memories, conclusions etc.. so technically i could use AM (on a damn good roll) to make you think palpaltine IS your master. That would certainly set you up for the dark side. Control mind can be used for compelling someone to do dark acts..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose you could. I'd write up a new character, if it happened to me, though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to, since turning to the dark side, is instant NPC status (by the book)..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does that mean that the Jedi being targeted by Jun Mao could wait until he had five or so shared Dark Side points, spend a force point, accept the Dark Side point and get (his own dice pool + 10) x2 and then use affect mind on the Sith to make him think he was a lightsider?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could try, but he would turn (needs to roll a 6 on the die NOT to), so net gain would be 1 dark sider turned light, one light sider turned dark.

Though looking at it, it would be
his dice pool x 2 (force point), X 10 (dark side points shared times 2). Not the other way around.

Last edited by garhkal on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were gm and my player did that, Id make his character Champion of the Universe on the spot.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't considered the 'shared' DSPs would be used for turning the PC. Only DSPs that the PC actually had.

The reason behind that is assume Jedi John accepts the DSP and gets the bonus dice. His action incapacitates Sith Simon and the power is dropped.

Now over the course of the next few rounds Jedi John drops to one DSP as the shared DSPs all bleed away. One DSP is insufficient to turn to the Dark Side so what happens now?

In my mind the power works more insidiously if the player can take a few bonus dice and have a smaller risk of falling. That way you won’t have players just outright refusing to accept the lure because they know it’ll result in an instant fall.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence why i was initially wanting it to ramp up dark side pips, that turned into actual points.. not just leaving it up to the target (most often going to be a pc) about whether they wanted to take the lure of the dark side.. BUT most around here were whining that giving them a dsp just cause of a bad roll or two is wrong.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to how you view the "lure" of the darkside, I guess. I see it as a "leopard showing its spots," so to speak. My understanding is that receiving a DSP must be a result of a conscious choice.

But don't change what works for you just cause of us whiners. Its your campaign. Run it how you want.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to work out the kinks, before i put it into a module.. that way its more likely to get approved.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell (and I may be way off here) from posts you’re previously made Sparks games have less character continuity and run more like one shot adventures. As I recall the players are built with a number of character points so that the players can have significant skills/abilities from the get go.

The reason I don’t like Jun Mao as described earlier (either with dice rolls determining if the character gets DSPs or with the character being able to fall to the Dark Side with shared DSPs) is that players have to go through a lot of work to upskill. It can take months or years to build up sufficient character points to get good at a few things and once those choices are made it’s not like they can unmake them. A player who saved up 20 character points to become force sensitive and now suddenly finds out that the willpower skill is more important than it used to be can’t trade in the points he invested in repulsorlift operation that aren’t needed now a mechanic joined the party to up his willpower (sure shared skills makes a party more adaptable but early on in a campaign being Captain backup isn’t always thrilling).

Bad guys on the other hand don’t have any of these problems. They’re not quite the vacuum-packed living obstacles that you get in D&D (like the Orc that never moves from the chamber where he is encountered) but if I as the GM want a bad guy to be able to use a power then I just up the bad guy’s stats until he can. Additionally the way D6 force powers work if a power like Jun Mao has a high difficulty and I want a bad guy to pull it off with some sort of regularity then it generally means his Control/Sense/Alter are going to be reasonable as well. This means that any bad guy skilled at Jun Mao will be a fairly competent all-rounder.

To me this gives the bad guy a significant advantage over a PC. I have yet to see a module where bad guys have skills they would have needed ‘growing up’ and are of no use now. For instance most Sith characters don’t have skills to indicate a former profession they were just always Sith apprentices/lords/whatever, no Darth Calculus who used to be a maths professor.

Whining aside the games you play are quite different from the games I play. What works for me may not work for you. If you want a power that corrupts a character’s soul to be a dice roll that might be appropriate for your campaign.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually sparks is ran like a living city type campaign. As long as you are a member you can take your character say, generated at Gencon, and use him at codcon, verncon, fire and ice, marcon, conclaive, grogcon etc.. year after year.

If you don't want to become a member you still can use him for the entire convention. Its just each gaming session (module) is wrote as a stand alone session (must be able to get completed in the 3.45 time slot).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: