The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SW RPG Generator v1.0!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> SW RPG Generator v1.0! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: SW RPG Generator v1.0! Reply with quote

Heya, fellow D6ers!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd been working on a multipurpose Excel spreadsheet-based randomizer for generating interesting story results, and I'm happy to say version 1.0 is up and running! Now, Excel may not be the most glamorous program to use for generating RPG story hooks, but considering how long it would take to get this running in Java, or even as a standalone program, I decided to do it the most accessible way first!

So what does it do?

Simply put, it auto-generates an infinite supply of game-engine independent story hooks and information for on-the-fly GMing. If you've ever been asked by your gaming group, "how many aliens are in the cantina, what are they wearing, and what are their names?" - well, this is a great way to answer that quickly and easily!

Pulled from Star Wars universe data (Wookiepedia and the D6 Holocron), RPG generator algorithms (Donjon.bin.sh), and even some FFG-targeted story hooks (Triumph & Despair), the SW RPG Generator comes up with great, deep, on-the-fly universe-building tools - even generating new planets and alien races! It doesn't include any game-specific data, so it isn't violating any copyright or proprietary information, any more than a site like Wookiepedia is by using proper nouns from Star Wars.

Among the things it can generate are:

*Character names, descriptions, and motivations
*Starship names, models, and descriptions
*Cargo manifests
*Cantina names and menus
*Cargo runs for smugglers
*Bounty targets for hunters
*New vicious creatures
*Legendary villains
*Ship system damage locations

It's been a labor of love to get it to this point, and I have high hopes of eventually implementing a full D6-based character stat generator. For the time being, though, I'm happy to have it be a living document and get picked up, modified, and added to by GMs and players who would like to see it expanded! All suggestions welcome and encouraged!

Currently, the only sticking point I've got is a good place to host the file. It's small - only 375k, and shouldn't be too much of a burden.

For the immediate future though, until I find a place to host it, just PM me if you'd like me to email you file location, and you can get to using it immediately!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really awesome that you've taken the time to do this, Mojomoe! 8)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind putting it up on my 4shared, but that place is getting to be as much of a pain as it is a blessing.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just opened it and played around with it, and I LOVE it!

Thank you so much for doing this!

I'm going to go fiddle around with it a little more and come back to this with feedback later.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummmmmm.... is it open office copatable? what version of excell?
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!

Just noticing some sections just say #Name? under them is this because they haven't been filled with data yet or am i doing something wrong?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo - no, that's not you, that's me Smile. It's getting a bad reference somewhere. I've tested each feature hundreds of times, but something must have slipped through. No biggie! If you can tell me which generator is returning that error, then I can fix it posthaste!

Panzerjedi - that's an excellent question! I also had someone ask me if I could do a .XLS instead of a .XLSX so it's compatible with older Excel versions, which I will look into immediately! Ideally this should be as open-platform, easy-to-access as possible!

Cheshire - I can understand your 4Shared woes - that said, it's a very gracious offer! Let me get you the file, and if it's something you like you are more than welcome to host it! (I would also be happily obliged)
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty, cargo run, Starfighter, Cantina food and drink I'm getting nothing at all except #name?

Sometimes it happens for pickpocket.

Also I see you have legal cargo how about an illegal cargo list too.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Luwingo - no, that's not you, that's me Smile. It's getting a bad reference somewhere. I've tested each feature hundreds of times, but something must have slipped through. No biggie! If you can tell me which generator is returning that error, then I can fix it posthaste!

Panzerjedi - that's an excellent question! I also had someone ask me if I could do a .XLS instead of a .XLSX so it's compatible with older Excel versions, which I will look into immediately! Ideally this should be as open-platform, easy-to-access as possible!

Cheshire - I can understand your 4Shared woes - that said, it's a very gracious offer! Let me get you the file, and if it's something you like you are more than welcome to host it! (I would also be happily obliged)

I pay for hosting - feel free to let me know if you would like to put it up on databank.yvong.com

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo -

Oh man, that does not seem right. I've tested in Excel on Win 7 & Win XP, and on iOS on iPhone 5 and iPad, and I can't repro your results. I'd really like to fix that for ya though. Anybody else seeing errors?

The #NAME means it's getting an out-of-bounds return on one of the formulas. Let me try to track it down:

* Have you modified the file? Can you try re-downloading it?
* What program (and version) are you using to read it?
* What is your OS?
* Did it do that from the very beginning, or after a while?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Wait, before you even answer - you're using Excel 2010, aren't you?

After a little digging, I'm finding a lot of people having compatibility problems, i.e. Excel 2007 formulas not being read in Excel 2010 (and giving the #NAME error). It sounds like the formula is right, but it might be an Excel issue. There might be a workaround, so lemme check up on it!
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerjedi wrote:
hummmmmm.... is it open office copatable? what version of excell?

I have open office and it works for me!
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older version of Excel, 2003 I think, and it's not working quite as expected even with the compatibility pack downloaded, so I may have to download Open Office and try that.

Other than that what I saw was good!!

T.C.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is probably my problem too as i opened it on my work comp that is excel 2007. i will try it at home tonight
Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone here have a copy of this file? I tried PMing the original poster but did not get a response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: