The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lets Spice things up a pit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lets Spice things up a pit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Lets Spice things up a pit Reply with quote

Spice- What is it

We know its mined on Kessel, 3PO episode IV "we'll be sent to the Spice mines of Kessel..."

Mace Windu episode II "Spice miners on the moon(s) of Naboo..."

There seems to be a lot of it Luke episode IV ".. he was a navigator on a Spice freighter.."

And it seems to be illegal in the EU as some kind of drug. I always hoped it was valuable not illegal.

Is there anyone that has used Spice in there games, if so how.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a d20 game I ran there was a Squib player that had a fondness for exploring on her own. It often derailed my game and out of game conversations with said player bore no fruit.

I arranged it so her rabbiting off led to a hold with spice residue on the walls. She tasted it and was able to, for a moment, pick up surface thoughts of her companions. In short I had spice consumption give minor telepathy for reading only to anyone that imbibed. If a force user were to take it, I'd have it give a die or two to Sense for a period of time.

The down side being addiction, more uses makes harder rolls. If they try to go straight, withdrawal...I think rules are in Fragments or Hives about such.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spice is slang for a type of drug. There are several types of spice in the SWU. Some are legal but regulated by the Empire, while others are illegal and terribly expensive. The variants most commonly referred to are Ryll spice and Glitterstim.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Spice_variants
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used spice per se, but I have had my PCs be asked (by NPCs) to ship large quantities of it off of dangerous worlds.

They (probably wisely) refused.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitterstim is what you are more likely on about. Check out wookiepedia.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars was heavily influenced by Dune. I'm also directly influenced by Dune.

In my SW universe there is a remote region of space known as The Whills Nebula. Normal lightspeed astrogation through it is extremely difficult, but made much easier if navigators ingest a special spice that is only available on the central planet of the Nebula. No it doesn't give navigators the ability to fold space like in Dune, but it heightens and alters their awareness to be able to solve the navigational difficulties inherent in plotting courses through the Nebula. The flow of the spice and pilot licensing/space travel bureaucracy is controlled by a navigators guild that has a strong influence over space travel and trade in the area. The downside to spice ingestion is addiction and other more temporary negative side effects.

This spice only works in the Whills Nebula. And it only works with certain species. It does not work for humans, which is what has been keeping the Empire out of the Nebula. Humans are a small minority in the Nebula, and the Empire has seemed unwilling to hand control of their navigation over to aliens in a region of space featuring an amphictyonic league with strong isolationist sentiments...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our first campaign, my brother dubbed our light freighter the Glitterstim, without having a clue what he meant. (Don't try to use words you don't know, kids!) I explained to him that this was like naming a Florida cigar boat the Cocaine, but the damage was done, and the GM wouldn't let us change it back.

In our second campaign, our rebel base was attacked by an army of ambulatory plants (don't ask) whose actions were coordinated by a telepathic plant which was also used to telepathically communicate with us. The plant was, in turn taking orders telepathically from an imperial officer. I wanted to do some psychological damage to this guy, so we flew to Nar Shadda and I picked up a couple doses of commercially pure glitterstim. We injected the command and control plant with what turned out to be a lethal dose, and I plugged it's telepathic sucker pads on to my noggin. What followed next was a literal battle of wits, to the pain.

Complete Starship Construction System
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Rarely been used, though the prices for Spice (generic) & Rhyll, are given in Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighter Captains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: