The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The A-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The A-Wing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: The A-Wing Reply with quote

In concert with my recently revived interest in the B-Wing (since I mixed and matched some equipment and weaponry between the two), here is my revised version of the A-Wing. It also includes the first use of my smart missile rules in a stat.

A-Wing

Craft: Alliance A-Wing Starfighter
Type: Interceptor and Multi-Role Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 9.6 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: A-Wing
Crew: 1
Crew Skill:
Starfighter Piloting 5D
Starship Gunnery 4D+2
Starship Shields 3D+1
Cargo Capacity: 40 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 175,000 (new)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: 2 jump limit
Maneuverability: 4D
Space: 12
Atmosphere: 450; 1,300kmh
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 1D
-Fire Control Jammer: -2D to Fire Control (Starfighter-Scale and below) when targeting the A-Wing.
Sensors:
Passive: 30/0D
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 75/2D
Focus: 4/4D+1
Weapons:
2 Heavy Auto-Blaster Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-8/25/40
Atmosphere Range: 100m-800m/2.5km/4km
Damage: 4D
Auto-Fire: 2D (can be applied to either Damage or Fire Control, but must be declared at the beginning of the round)
2 Concussion Missile Launchers
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/7/15
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/700m/1.5km
Damage: 8D
Ammo: 6 per launcher
Note:: The above stats are for unguided concussion missiles, which are not the most accurate of anti-starfighter weapons. As such, A-Wings are more commonly equipped with smart homing concussion missiles that inflict less damage but have the ability to lock onto their target's signature and track it over the course of several rounds. A-Wings will often be equipped with a mix of homing and unguided missiles, depending on mission requirements. Use the following stats for homing missiles:
    Skill: Starship Gunnery (The missile's droid brain has the equivalent of 3D in this skill)
    Fire Control: 4D
    Space Range: 2-5/10/20
    Atmosphere Range: 200m-500m / 1km / 2km
    Maneuverability: 6D
    Duration: 6 rounds (Once duration ends, the missile runs out of fuel and self destructs).
    Damage: 6D
    Special: If the initial shot misses, use the following table:
      Missile misses by = Result
      <10 = Missile is still homing, and may attack as normal the following round
      10-20 = Missile has lost lock, but may roll to reacquire in the next round. If lock is reestablished, the missile may attack as normal in the following round. If the lock is lost, the missile's safety settings engage and it self destructs.
      21+ = Missile has lost lock and can not re-engage. Safety settings engage and the missile self destructs.
    In-Game Use:
      First Attack: Use as a normal weapon, using Gunner's Skill + Fire Control to target and shoot.
      Subsequent Round (Locked On): Use as a normal weapon (@ Moderate Difficulty), using Missile Skill + Maneuverability to attack.
      Subsequent Round (Lock Lost): Roll Missile Skill + Fire Control to reacquire lock-on. Target may attempt to Dodge lock-on as it would an actual attack.

Capsule: This ship has the same basic description and background as the standard WEG A-Wing, with the following changes:

-The A-Wing Laser Cannon with the ability to swivel vertically up to 60 degrees off axis have been replaced with a pair of auto-blasters. In my SWU, auto-blasters are blaster cannon that are gyro-stabilized in the vertical and horizontal axis, and can automatically make minute adjustments to their angle of fire to improve their accuracy, resulting in precision accuracy and improved range.

-The Fire Control Jamming stats seemed poorly thought out, especially in that they included a range with no clear way to apply it.

-Most non-WEG descriptions of the A-Wing include concussion missile launchers.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job !

Only a note concerning the autoblasters. On the B-wing aren't they supposed to be twin autoblasters with 3D damage code ?
In this case your A-wing model has 2 fire linked Girhil 72 twin autoblasters...

regards

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Unfortunately, since I'm posting my own stats for the stock A-Wing as opposed to a variant or custom, I'm trying to adhere to the film images. Since official images of the A-Wing only show a single cannon on either side, I'll probably just have to use a different, more powerful variant on the auto-blaster as the basis here.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sources i see for the A wing, either they have the jammer OR the missile launchers.. never both. So why did you put both in?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookieepedia says they have both...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you took a non book listed source over the books..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I have yet to come across a source that says they have one or the other. Unless I see something that disproves Wookieepedia, I see no reason not to give them both.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked two different references (the Complete Cross-Sections book and Starlog Magazine's Technical Journal of the Rebel Forces). Both say that A-Wings had both concussion missile launchers and the fire control jammers.

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Core Rulebook 2nd Ed R&E
Rebel Alliance Source book 2nd Ed
Star Wars Source Book 2nd Ed
Special Edition Trilogy Source Book
Heir to the Empire Source Book
Thrawn Trilogy Source Book

All list the fire control jammer only.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I specifically stated the following in the very first post: "Most non-WEG descriptions of the A-Wing include concussion missile launchers." I look at your list and see nothing but WEG sources. Q.E.D.

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I have yet to come across a source that says they have one or the other. Unless I see something that disproves Wookieepedia, I see no reason not to give them both.

So I provided a list of other sources. Most of which wookipedia sights as their sources.

wookipedia wrote:
"The weapons payload of the A-wing varies from source to source, with some not having the concussion missile launchers, and some saying that the laser cannons are actually blaster cannons."

So even the vaunted wookipedia shrugs and says "we're really not sure".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
So I provided a list of other sources. Most of which wookipedia sights as their sources.

So, the fact that the WEG books are also cited as Wookieepedia sources somehow negates the fact that they are WEG sources? I am well aware that WEG's version of the A-Wing does not have concussion missiles; my point (which I apparently must belabor again) is that most non-WEG sources state that the A-Wing has concussion missile launchers as well.

Quote:
So even the vaunted wookipedia shrugs and says "we're really not sure".

There is nothing particularly vaunted about Wookiepedia; it's a go-to, readily available source for fact checking, so long as you view it with a critical eye. Wookieepedia is not a primary or original source; it is a compilation of information from other sources. However, since two other sources in my possession (one of which is cited as a source by Wookieepedia) state that the A-Wing has both concussion missile launchers and a fire control jammer (and this is my revised version of the A-Wing stats), I decided to include both in my stat.

But that is neither here nor there. The original (missed) point is that none of the sources so far presented specifically state that an A-Wing shall have either concussion missile launchers or a fire control jammer, but not both at the same time.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what they may be saying, is that there are more cited listing one or the or the other than the ones saying both. I think everyone should take a step back, breath and remember we are all hobbyists and this is supposed to be social. When we post, one should expect a few comments that disagree with our stated suggestions. Others should also take into account the limitation of the medium for forums and post accordingly.

The bottom line is no one is really right nor wrong. In light of that, everyone please try to be respectful of one another, even if you hold a strong opinion.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I think what they may be saying, is that there are more cited listing one or the or the other than the ones saying both.

I think we can all agree that the Star Wars EU is well populated with regards to multiple contradictory sources. I am not aware of a specific count of sources citing one or the other or both, but I don't consider that relevant to my point; just because an opinion is popular doesn't guarantee that it is accurate. If someone can present me with a reliable source that specifically states that A-Wings must have one or the other, I will take that into account. However, all that has been presented so far are inferential sources that merely show one or the other. Furthermore, the cited sources seem to be digressing and diverging from the original point.

Quote:
When we post, one should expect a few comments that disagree with our stated suggestions. Others should also take into account the limitation of the medium for forums and post accordingly.

I expect and welcome comments in disagreement, as they often point out missed flaws, which become opportunities to improve on the original idea. While the medium of a forum does have some limitations, it has an obvious advantage in that a person has the time to research their own perspective and write out a reasoned response based on references and evidence. I find this form of discussion to be mentally stimulating and an opportunity to expand my knowledge base about a subject I enjoy. However, I find criticism that does not cite sources or goes off-topic to be somewhat irritating. Stack this with the fact that I'm currently fighting a raging ear infection and I end up rather more touchy than usual.

Quote:
The bottom line is no one is really right nor wrong. In light of that, everyone please try to be respectful of one another, even if you hold a strong opinion.

I would stipulate that, while there is no real right or wrong with regards to the content of the SWU from person to person, there are right and wrong ways to present one's argument.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
[Stack this with the fact that I'm currently fighting a raging ear infection and I end up rather more touchy than usual.

Based on your avatar, crmcneill, I've always pictured you as a Besalisk truck driver. I didn't even know you had ears! Laughing

Sorry, just a little O/T humor to add a little levity... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: