The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
garhkal wrote:
How many gals did we have in E4-6?

Is the original ratio one to root for?

I'm not one to argue for token minorities of any stripe, and I'm not the biggest fan of political correctness. That said, I do think that we need a Star Wars that reflects our time, rather than the 1970s. I want female characters (notice the plural) that I can root for, as well as female villains to be in awe of.

Which to me IS pushing for more of a PC style. just like how several characters for the New BSG were switched to being female vice male.. to hit those 'specific' demographics. Or like how nearly every comedy/drama show on now days seems to always have at least one LGBT character.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which to me IS pushing for more of a PC style. just like how several characters for the New BSG were switched to being female vice male.. to hit those 'specific' demographics. Or like how nearly every comedy/drama show on now days seems to always have at least one LGBT character.

Sure, I can see that argument, given that you don't know me too well.

I don't know to what degree those LGBT characters drive the "gay agenda", given how they seem to push stereotypes, and make the "gayness" the core of those characters' identities. I, for one, love stereotypes, and think the gay stereotypes are hilarious, but it would get old if I watched more TV.

Look, all the tokenism in Star Trek Voyager made me gag, because of how transparent and over-the-top it was. But that was a sign of the times in which it was created.

But is it wrong for me, or out of political correctness, to want to see more women? Can't I just be a straight dude, who really enjoys female characters?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards the new film, there are rumors that there's still a substantial female role still left to cast.

And if you are interested, there's a bunch more (possible) spoilers amidst rumors including the potential name of the episode, though it's anybody's guess if any of these are true.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my salt in hand and I am ready to read some rumors!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Sure, I can see that argument, given that you don't know me too well.

I don't know to what degree those LGBT characters drive the "gay agenda", given how they seem to push stereotypes, and make the "gayness" the core of those characters' identities. I, for one, love stereotypes, and think the gay stereotypes are hilarious, but it would get old if I watched more TV.

Look, all the tokenism in Star Trek Voyager made me gag, because of how transparent and over-the-top it was. But that was a sign of the times in which it was created.

But is it wrong for me, or out of political correctness, to want to see more women? Can't I just be a straight dude, who really enjoys female characters?

Don't you mean DS9? That was the Ultra LGBT. I didn't have a problem with that - More power to them for being so groundbreaking. I'm just saying.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily a shift to being more PC so much as it is a shift to be more representative of our actual population. America is not 80% straight white male.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean C3PO and R2D2 aren't actually in a closeted relationship? I always figured they were the Bert and Ernie of space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Don't you mean DS9? That was the Ultra LGBT. I didn't have a problem with that - More power to them for being so groundbreaking. I'm just saying.

Huh, I can't recall that. Voyager just felt more artificial to me. I thought DS9 was pretty good, especially when it got darker.

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
It's not necessarily a shift to being more PC so much as it is a shift to be more representative of our actual population. America is not 80% straight white male.

This.

crmcneill wrote:
You mean C3PO and R2D2 aren't actually in a closeted relationship? I always figured they were the Bert and Ernie of space.

They totally are, though with restraining bolts it gets a bit too kinky for Sesame Street.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

They totally are, though with restraining bolts it gets a bit too kinky for Sesame Street.

Laughing

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

By that logic, they then should have around 70% being white/Latino, 5% or so being native American, 20% or so being black and 5-10% or so being Asian.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

By that logic, they then should have around 70% being white/Latino, 5% or so being native American, 20% or so being black and 5-10% or so being Asian.

Agreed!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

I think the most recent census had numbers a little off from that (I just happened to be looking at that earlier today), but your point is certainly taken.

So, I wonder, if the SW viewing audience is considerably more white. If so, do non-Whites or Latinos not view SW as being inclusive for them? That said, I have Mexican friends (one of whom I'm married to), who adore SW, but individual examples are not evidence of a trend.

Oh, and let's remember:

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
How many gals did we have in E4-6?

Is the original ratio one to root for?

I'm not one to argue for token minorities of any stripe, and I'm not the biggest fan of political correctness. That said, I do think that we need a Star Wars that reflects our time, rather than the 1970s. I want female characters (notice the plural) that I can root for, as well as female villains to be in awe of.

Yeah, I'd love to see a female villain.

I'm going to give you what you wished for...and more...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8QWiSQQNg
Post is NSFW
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain, it's probably a good idea to throw up the ole' "NSFW" warning for stuff like that. I'm just glad I clicked on it at home, rather than at work! Smile
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited TheBrains post to show NSFW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: