The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the diversity of your group?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What is the diversity of your group? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well, in 33+ years of role playing I have played with maybe 5+ women. Its like video games, its a male oriented hobby and to be honest, friends don't let other friends cross-gender role play. Its just creepy.

It's quite common in our games for guys to play gals, especially as there's only been a few gals that have played regularly with us.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well, in 33+ years of role playing I have played with maybe 5+ women. Its like video games, its a male oriented hobby and to be honest, friends don't let other friends cross-gender role play. Its just creepy.

Sp I guess in the 33+ years of role playing all the NPCs you ever encountered, or introduced if you ware the GM, ware exclusively male?
- Tom Lehrer
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

Sp I guess in the 33+ years of role playing all the NPCs you ever encountered, or introduced if you ware the GM, ware exclusively male?

Gee maybe you missed the title of the thread, "What is the diversity of your group?" No mention of NPCs was made and even if the NPCs were predominantly male, wtf difference would it make?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering. Because if "friends don't let other friends cross-gender role play, its just creepy" doesn't that apply to a male GM and the NPCs he creates too? Or does that get a pass, because, necessarily, a GM portraying NPCs is less involved than a player role-playing his single character?
- Tom Lehrer
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think my sarcasm what apparently not readily apparent. Regardless, a GM has to populate his game with all the other characters the players interact with. This necessitates the GM role playing a female character once in a while. This is much different from someone playing a female character throughout every session from start to end in that role. The GM may play one from time to time, but its not a steady diet. So we are not really comparing apples to apples.

I am finding this conversation is degrading into something else entirely. Perhaps you are suggesting that if people to not embrace playing cross-gender roles they are somehow homophobic or hate women? Sorry, but that is not a conversation I want to take part in.

This is a hobby and meant to be fun. When real life, polarizing ideals and hot button issues start creeping in, I check out.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New group, with 2 characters yet to be made. The setting is 7 years prior to ANH.

All my players are white, 1 is a female. We've been gaming together as a group in one form or another since the mid 90s and our group congealed as a whole around 1999. We did add the 1 female (my wife) a few years ago as she got tired of me not being around 1 day a week.

Group comp:

Verpine Outlaw Tech
Jawa Smuggler (my wife)
Human Bounty Hunter
Ongree Jedi Mystic

As I said, 2 players missed our character creation session, so I'll update this post when I know what they are playing.

As for the cross-gender play, it's not a big deal to our group. Males play females and females play males.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

Not for me. Heck some of the better played characters in the Sparks group seem to be the cross gender ones.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see an issue with cross-gender roleplaying - as long as it is not demeaning to the gender you are trying to emulate. If you do emulate stereotypes and what-not, then that's problem. However, from what I have noticed, people who play characters of different genders from themselves put just as much complexity and thought into their development as they would normally. I honestly think it is weird to have an all-male party.

I also do not see RPGs as male-oriented. It is true that they are more accessible to men (in that men have the mentality that it is a men's game, and sometimes behave oddly when a woman is playing with them - and there are the pressures on women to behave feminine, etc., etc., etc. - it's all systematic!). There has been at least one woman in every game I have played for the past 6 years. I also have plenty of male players who are comfortable playing female characters. I think the reason for that is that they do not want their party to be so homogeneous.

As a GM, I make sure that I give equal time to both men and women NPCs. I also make sure that they are distributed among levels of power and status. Their main rebel commander is a black woman, and their first villain was a woman hungry for power. The local Grand Moff is a white man, along with many Imperial officials.

As was depicted in the original movies, the Empire represented uniformity and espoused a master-race mentality, whereas the Rebellion represented diversity and cultural awareness. I try to emulate that in my games.

I think the fact that hundreds of alien species exist in the Star Wars universe causes people to narrow the definition of "human" to white male or female, when in fact our species is wonderfully diverse. Should I get off my soapbox now?

I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything. I just vomited my thoughts into this post as they came to me.

On a different topic, I am surprised to see how many people actually play humans. With so many options to play weird aliens, I can't imagine playing a boring old human. It seems that many people are fine with that, however.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the diversity of your group? Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

Since I love diversity in RL and like to see it in my games, I am wondering what species, genders, and what-not make up your groups.

What do your groups look like?

Players or characters? Mostly human players in my group.... mostly.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Well, I think my sarcasm what apparently not readily apparent. Regardless, a GM has to populate his game with all the other characters the players interact with. This necessitates the GM role playing a female character once in a while. This is much different from someone playing a female character throughout every session from start to end in that role. The GM may play one from time to time, but its not a steady diet. So we are not really comparing apples to apples.

I am finding this conversation is degrading into something else entirely. Perhaps you are suggesting that if people to not embrace playing cross-gender roles they are somehow homophobic or hate women? Sorry, but that is not a conversation I want to take part in.

This is a hobby and meant to be fun. When real life, polarizing ideals and hot button issues start creeping in, I check out.

Oh, your sarcasm was quite apparent, alright. I just chose to give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore it, and civily explain myself further (because I admit I could have worded my initial inquiry better; looking at it now, it can be taken as quite sarcastic itself). You choose to continue with the hostility, and throw a baseles accusation my way. So I agree with you here - this is not a conversation I want to take part in. And seeing as this is not the first time you turned hostile in response to an honest inquiry from me, however clumsily worded, I don't think I'll be interested in any conversation with you for quite some time. Good day.
- Tom Lehrer
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Assuran! Glad to have you here, and your group sounds like a lot of fun. I think it would be awesome to have a Jawa PC! Smile
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the diversity of your group? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

Since I love diversity in RL and like to see it in my games, I am wondering what species, genders, and what-not make up your groups.

What do your groups look like?

Players or characters? Mostly human players in my group.... mostly.

There is the occasional Ewok who wants to play a Wookiee...
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating my playgroup, setting is set 7 years prior to ANH:

Human Infiltration Agent, defected from the Empire.
Human Ex-Clone Trooper, defected from the Empire.
Jawa Smuggler, heavily in debt to Jabba the Hutt.
Ongree Ex-Jedi. Survived Order 66 and receded into the shadows. Think Jolee Bindo as a template.
Human Bounty Hunter. Hired muscle for the smuggler.
Verpine Outlaw Tech. The smuggler's engineer.

The Smuggler owns the Starship the group is traveling around in, and in her words: "My ship, my rules."

The game started with the Instant Adventure The Treasure of Cellis Mott because I think it's an amazing showcase of the system. There's a couple of fights, some diplomacy, spaceship fight/chase, landing on an asteroid, etc.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuran wrote:
Updating my playgroup, setting is set 7 years prior to ANH:

Human Infiltration Agent, defected from the Empire.
Human Ex-Clone Trooper, defected from the Empire.
Jawa Smuggler, heavily in debt to Jabba the Hutt.
Ongree Ex-Jedi. Survived Order 66 and receded into the shadows. Think Jolee Bindo as a template.
Human Bounty Hunter. Hired muscle for the smuggler.
Verpine Outlaw Tech. The smuggler's engineer.

The Smuggler owns the Starship the group is traveling around in, and in her words: "My ship, my rules."

The game started with the Instant Adventure The Treasure of Cellis Mott because I think it's an amazing showcase of the system. There's a couple of fights, some diplomacy, spaceship fight/chase, landing on an asteroid, etc.

Does the jawa speak in her trade language, or just really fast Basic?
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Does the jawa speak in her trade language, or just really fast Basic?

The Jawa speaks in Jawa Trade language to the party, but understands basic. I hand waved everyone being proficient in Jawa trade language as they party had either been assigned to her by Jabba as muscle or had previously attached themselves to her as either friends or crew members.

It's more fun to watch her speak to NPCs and have the other party members translate her for those who can't understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: