The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Darth Hedon ? (Hedonism)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Darth Hedon ? (Hedonism)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Darth Hedon ? (Hedonism) Reply with quote

Ok, I’m sitting here with a heating pad on my back, and ice pack on my knee, exhausted from a long hard weekend of volunteering to help at the church’s yearly rodeo. This is after a very long and mentally/emotionally trying week at the academy. All of this as part of my following my good path for my faith

It has gotten me thinking, pain and self-discipline in a key function of ‘good’, so you could argue that self indulgence and focus on pleasure is a key function of ‘evil’.

(sorry if that sounds preachy, I’m not meaning it in that way!)

Ok, now put that thought into SW, we see all kinds of Sith as the bad guys (which they are) with the focus of anger hate etc etc etc. However, would there be or could there be a ‘Sith’ that instead of feeding the dark side with anger and hatred, feeds it with an overindulgence of pleasure, or a “if it feels good do it and enjoy” ?

If so, what would he/she be like? What force powers would it have? How would it fit into the sith hierarchy? Would someone without inherent self-discipline even be able to develop force powers?

Forgive all spelling errors.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicurus would have a bone to pick with you!

I am just picturing Hedonismbot with a lightsaber. "How decadent!"
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question! I imagine it would be tough for them to master many combat or fighting skills, as those often take discipline.

I can imagine them being sneaky and stealthy, though. With a moral code that is likewise quite fluid and liquid.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

Epicurus would have a bone to pick with you!

I am just picturing Hedonismbot with a lightsaber. "How decadent!"

In a way, part of me sees the same thing … an effeminate fop with a pastel colored light saber.

However, there is the other side of me that sees that, and sees the danger in it. No he isn’t a fear causing snarling demonic like sith exuding evil. But not being so makes him more dangerous … Who would fear or be cautious around a debauched giggling hedonistic foe?

Oh by the way, I do not agree with Epicurus but also would argue he isn’t hedonistic … removal of worry and enjoyment of life isn’t overindulgence in life’s pleasure and living life by the 'if it feels good do it' mind set

Quote:

Interesting question! I imagine it would be tough for them to master many combat or fighting skills, as those often take discipline.

I can imagine them being sneaky and stealthy, though. With a moral code that is likewise quite fluid and liquid.

Also, to a point I agree, but then I look at some of the cadets (and beyond cadets people in general). They have amazing amounts of raw athletic talent (I guess you could expand it beyond athletics to any facet of talent and skill). However, they do not discipline themselves to fulfill that natural talent’s potential. If that is true in real life, it could be true in SW. A force sensitive that easily masters manipulating the force, but balks at the discipline needed to be a Jedi. Then they are not fed by hate/anger but the shear enjoyment of the ease of life provided by using the force.

You know the more I think about it, the more I picture a temptress in this light … Sneaky, fluid morals, skills in con and persuasion, I’m not sure of what force powers would be applicable but … I think there is potential here

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at Slaanesh, from the Warhammer universe. Chaos gods from that universe make Sith look almost comforting by comparison, but Slaanesh, the Lord of Pleasure sounds a lot like this.

A possible power would be Affect Senses, where the Sith Lord can cause a target to experience phantom sensations, up to the point of disabling sensory overload.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You might want to take a look at Slaanesh, from the Warhammer universe. Chaos gods from that universe make Sith look almost comforting by comparison, but Slaanesh, the Lord of Pleasure sounds a lot like this.

A possible power would be Affect Senses, where the Sith Lord can cause a target to experience phantom sensations, up to the point of disabling sensory overload.

I like to think of Slaanesh as the Chaos god of excess (Aristotle's nightmare), but yeah, that's what I thought of at first as well, because the followers use self-indulgence as a form of worship.

There are some abilities that give creatures so much pleasure that they are either debilitated or they die.

I'm thinking of a sort of succubus-style Sith. There could even be a whole orgiastic cult of these dark Force-users. It probably has to be a rather obscure sect of Sith doctrine to focus on passion in the form of pleasure, rather than anger.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the Light is serenity then it makes sense that the Dark is emotion. As such there is a wide variety of emotions to choose from.

Receptive telepathy would have to be in the pot, to taste the sensations of others. One possibility would be a duelist reveling in the glory and effort of testing their skill against skilled foes or attempting to add artistry to their slaying.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once wrote a rather lengthy article where I argued that the various Darth titles were hereditary, and granted to show the given Sith's both greatest strength (and implicitly, greatest weakness). A sort of branding, basically.

Darth Treya couldn't help but betray. Darth Sidious would always plot and scheme, even if there were more efficient ways of going about something. Darth Tyranous would always be a false-flag operation, backed by force of arms. Darth Maul would always be a berserker fighter. Darth Sion would always be backed by will, and unkillable as long as the will to fight existed. And so on and so forth.

The Qotsisajak has long showed that emotion was the driving force behind the Sith in their transition from a race to a religion. "Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me."

Darth Talon's long been depicted as both sensuous and hedonistic. For instance, I believe this is an example of Darth Talon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWwAFXrpD0 . Her being a rather attractive twi'lek is, of course, part of the entire package.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I once wrote a rather lengthy article where I argued that the various Darth titles were hereditary, and granted to show the given Sith's both greatest strength (and implicitly, greatest weakness). A sort of branding, basically.

Considering that the Darth Wyyrlock title seems to be hereditary it seems to be true, at least in the One Sith, this might be the case.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a Sith Warrior on SWTOR named Lord Lascivious. I thought that was an amusing title/name for a Dark Lord of the Sith.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jabba had been force sensitive and embraced the Dark Side...I feel he could be poster-boy. And he is quite threatening.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
If Jabba had been force sensitive and embraced the Dark Side...I feel he could be poster-boy. And he is quite threatening.

I think you present be a pretty compelling example. I imagine someone a little more refined and less brutish, but no less dangerous.

The fictionalized histories of the life of the Roman Emperor Commodus might also give us another picture, though he was so short-sighted as to make himself more a danger to himself and others to be anything other than a throw-away villain. I mean, unless your campaign is oriented around intrigue.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

The fictionalized histories of the life of the Roman Emperor Commodus might also give us another picture, though he was so short-sighted as to make himself more a danger to himself and others to be anything other than a throw-away villain. I mean, unless your campaign is oriented around intrigue.

I see your Commodus, and raise you a Caligula.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like small shoes. Though I guess a Sludir might make a passable Darth Incitatus.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

I see your Commodus, and raise you a Caligula.

Caligula was bed. No question. But at least Caligula went down with money still in the treasury and a functional regime in tact. Caligula took a functioning stable empire and reduced it to a mess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: