The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need Help With New Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Need Help With New Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Jedi Master
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Need Help With New Campaign Reply with quote

Hello there. I've been working on a new campaign recently, and I could use some help.

The details are pretty sparse right now--all I know is that it will take place about a year after Yavin, and that it will start on a small farming world called Navto. The PC's will have a malfunction on their ship and be forced to land there for repairs. They will then proceed to help the local rebels overthrow the Moff as a starter adventure.

The players will likely be new to the game, but I can't know for sure. They will not, however, be new to roleplaying--they will have played some D20 games.

Anyway, this is my first real campaign, so I could use tips. Thanks!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Navto like?
Why will the players get sucked into this conflict?
Why is the Moff evil? Other than being the "bad guy" why does he need to be overthrown?
What is the local rebel cell like? What resources do they have at their disposal?
What sector is Navto in? Out Rim? Deep Core?

The rebellion is not fighting a war to conquor territory. Even if they defeat all the Imperials in the entire sector, the Empire can just flood the area with more resources. The rebellion isn't configured to administrate and rule a sector even if they topple the local government, so what is the tactical reason to attack THIS particular Moff?
The Jedi Master
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Navto is a forest world and a major food supplier. It is mostly insignificant, though a battle happened during the Clone Wars, and a Jedi was killed during the battle. The site of the battle is now a restricted area, and rumors claim there is a Jedi holocron somewhere in the wreckage.

2.The typical "We're stuck and we need money" scenario. Simple, but like I said, it's my first campaign.

3.Recently, the last Moff was replaced for being too lax and 'tolerating sedition'. The new Moff is Jaldun Dysto. He is much stricter--he has toppled the local monarchy and established a permanent military occupation. The tax on the farms is beyond unfair, and the native species (known as the Navti) is being used as free labor. Think of District 11 in the Hunger Games, and you get the idea.

4.So far, Dysto's reign of terror has backfired utterly. Popular support for the Rebellion is growing on the planet, and the cell has about two thousand soldiers at its disposal. They have a small base hidden in the planet's rings, far more food rations than most cells, two squadrons of X-Wings and a squadron of Y-Wings. Still, to get the support they need, they need a symbol--Luke and company are too distant to be effective. Of course, our heroes will probably end up being recruited as the symbol...

5.Navto is on the edge of the Kerduna Sector, in the Outer Rim. Kerduna Sector has about the same amount of influence on galactic politics as Navto, but it does have a lot of lush, green worlds, making it a major food supplier.

6.The rebel cell in a neighboring sector is based on a desert world, and it is running out of food fast. This is the start of a major push on the sector to raid for rations.

Last edited by The Jedi Master on Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tone do you want to set for the campaign?
What type of story are you telling?
What are the possible outcomes? What choices of the players will determine those outcomes?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as this is the first location of your campaign, you probably want the locale, or at least a character there, to be quite memorable.

Perhaps meeting an ally (the person who helps them repair their ship?) that can be a source of information or who joins their cause (as an NPC).

Since it's their first adventure, I'd make it fairly easy for the PCs to succeed and feel heroic. You'll have plenty of opportunities down the road to challenge them and potentially frustrate them (and force them to think outside the box). For this one, I'd recommend allowing them to have a stirring and inspirational victory, something they can build on.
The Jedi Master
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.I hope to instill a sense of adventure and wonder, the same kind of feeling a kid gets watching their first Star Wars film. This is why I choose for it to take place in between E4 and E5--the Galactic Civil War still rages, and Darth Vader hasn't ruined everything by attacking Hoth yet. It is very much influenced by 'Classic Era' Star Wars. However, it is not silly--doing something like attacking Vader or the Emperor will likely result in death, though not without a last epic fight.

2.This is a hard question to answer. I think I'm trying to tell the a story of a rise from being average smugglers and such to being true heroes, a bit like the movies from Han Solo's point of view.

3.It's hard to screw up a starter adventure, but if the PC's do fail it, the rebels will hate them, but the Empire won't pursue them nearly as much during the early stages. I will try to make sure that Moff Dysto continues to be a recurring villain no matter what the outcome is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: