The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed) Reply with quote

It's official.

Principal photography has been completed. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens is scheduled for release on December 18th, 2015.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I wonder if this means we can expect to see more Jedi (and perhaps more Dark side users, Sith or otherwise)?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Now we must wait a year.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It somehow seems more real to me now.

Lucas needed two years of post-production for each prequel so I was skeptical the next film could be done in time for a December 2018 release. But they are supposedly using more practical effects which means more pre-production and less post-production. And the previous five Star Wars films were independent films, while now they are mega-corporate studio films, so Lucasfilm has the full power of Disney behind it to make sure it happens.

But principal photography is done. Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Threepio, Artoo are in it. John Williams is scoring it. Star Wars VII is real! Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I'm really excited about the idea of a new soundtrack.

I honestly have no idea what that idea is speaking to me most right now.
Moebius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I honestly have no idea what that idea is speaking to me most right now.

I thought the prequels' music was improved from the originals. Williams is still honing his craft! The guy is magic.

I can't wait either
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moebius wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I thought the prequels' music was improved from the originals. Williams is still honing his craft! The guy is magic.

I can't wait either

I am an avid film score fanatic and I have almost every John Williams soundtrack since Jaws. Say what you will about the prequel films, but no one in their right mind can say anything bad about the prequel scoring. John Williams is magic. I don't know if I can say the prequel music was overall better than the classic film scores, but I can say it just as good because all six film score are so awesome. The music even helps "sell" a few of the prequel scenes with poor performances. And I can say that my absolute favorite John Williams theme of all is "Duel of the Fates."

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack too, but to avoid spoilers don't look at any of the track names before seeing the film. I'm still a little upset about learning of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" before I saw TMP. Live and learn.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I... was gonna post about how terrible the title was and how I don't like the connotations of more Jedi over-focus, but... I can see I am in the minority here. Smile I don't like the tone struck- as one who thinks an over-focus on the Jedi has made them mediocre and diminished the sense of wonder- but then again, it's only a title, and everyone hated 'Attack of the Clones' as a title until they got used to it, too. Wink

Still looking forward to this- especially the practical effects focus- but I'd be a lot more reassured by a trailer and an idea of the focus/direction, which this title doesn't do anything positive to reinforce (some strange connotations inherent to it, after all).

(And definitely of the opinion that Williams' work in the prequels was a major dropoff from his OT work. The ANH score, for instance (and I would some the same of ESB and nearly of ROTJ) is just brilliant- there is no track that I can think of which is not stand-alone fantastic. The prequel scores... tend to have standout tracks in the single-digits; those which are good are great, but a lot more filler... and a lot more of a generic woodwind sound that the iconic brass-romantics used in the OT.) Williams is still magic- but the magic is more focused (to me) on centerpiece-pieces rather than generally spread throughout the whole thing. I'm interested to see what he comes up with here, though- I'm hoping for a different feel from the prequel scores for the new trilogy. (And please, no more electric guitars- I almost threw my AOTC CD across the room when I heard that...) Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!

Last edited by Zarm R'keeg on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down as another huge fan of John Williams' work. And "Duel of the Fates" is my favorite as well. Very Happy

All six movies so far have been outstanding, and about the only track (from any of them) that isn't fantastic is the "Yub, Yub" track (of the Ewoks).
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Put me down as another huge fan of John Williams' work. And "Duel of the Fates" is my favorite as well. Very Happy

All six movies so far have been outstanding, and about the only track (from any of them) that isn't fantastic is the "Yub, Yub" track (of the Ewoks).

I can't deny that I like "Ewok Celebration" (Yub Nub), but the "Victory Celebration" that replaced it was so better, a much more dramatically fitting denouement to the classic trilogy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said... what's in a name? The Prequels were always bound to end up at the original trilogy; their future was not in motion. The Force Awakens will set the open-ended precedent for what Star Wars will become from now-onward... I'm just a little nervous about it. Sorry if that comes off as negativity!

Whill wrote:

I can't deny that I like "Ewok Celebration" (Yub Nub), but the "Victory Celebration" that replaced it was so better, a much more dramatically fitting denouement to the classic trilogy.

Y'know, I honestly am not sure sometimes. There's a grand epic 'end of the saga' feel to the victory celebration that probably serves the concluding chapter- but I think there's a celebratory intimacy and feeling of friendship and joy to the Yub Nub song that fits the end of ROTJ better. One serves the saga, the other serves the film- but I don't know that I could consider either to be 'not fantastic.' Then again, I don't know if I could consider ANYTHING Williams did from 1977 to 1983 'not fantastic.' Wink

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like the newer song better. But that's often because - when we game - I put three CDs on and set things to 'random'. It will end up coming up, Ewoks wub, wub, wubbing, at just the wrong time. So there's that. Embarassed

I really like the "Lapti Nek" song, which is the newer (Special Edition) song from Jabba's Palace.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Yeah, I like the newer song better. But that's often because - when we game - I put three CDs on and set things to 'random'. It will end up coming up, Ewoks wub, wub, wubbing, at just the wrong time. So there's that. Embarassed

I really like the "Lapti Nek" song, which is the newer (Special Edition) song from Jabba's Palace.

"Lapti Nek" is the original song in Jabba's Palace. The song that replaced it beginning with the Special Edition is "Jedi Rocks".

This may surprise you guys coming from me, but this overall anti-purist actually likes the original "Lapti Nek" better. So there you have it. Greedo and Lapti Nek. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

"Lapti Nek" is the original song in Jabba's Palace. The song that replaced it beginning with the Special Edition is "Jedi Rocks".

This may surprise you guys coming from me, but this overall anti-purist actually likes the original "Lapti Nek" better. So there you have it. Greedo and Lapti Nek. 8)

Listening to them both, I guess the part I like is the original ("Lapti Nek"), too. I don't care much for "Jedi Rocks", now that I understand the difference (I was conflating the two, thinking that my CD for RotJ starts out "Lapti Nek" with that Yuzzum shouting "Goo Nee Tay").
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lapti Nek (and yub nub) are my wife's favorites. I dunno- for me, Lapti Nek is too 80s-dated, while Jedi Rocks sounds too Earth-contemporary (and not like Jabba's thing), so neither grab me as much as the good 'ol cantina band... Wink but if I had to choose, it'd probably be Lapti Nek. It fits the style of music we hear from the Rebo band elsewhere, and I can picture it as the kind of thing Jabba the Hutt would dig.

I still dream that one day, they'll find that master-recording of Fancy Man so we can finally hear the whole thing in english...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: