The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

YT-1300 Fleet Support Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> YT-1300 Fleet Support Freighter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: YT-1300 Fleet Support Freighter Reply with quote

Modern carrier air wings include several varieties of aircraft above and beyond typical fighters and bombers, including patrol planes, search and rescue, cargo delivery, etc. This kinda gets glossed over in the SWU, but it is still an essential functions. Here's my take on that for Alliance starfighter wings.

Alliance Fleet Support Freighter

Standard Alliance starfighter wings are generally assigned a pair of stock light freighters as utility support craft. However, as the saying goes, there is no such thing as a stock light freighter. As with nearly all light freighters, the ships are quickly modified and adapted to suit their operator's needs, and the freighters of the Alliance's Starfighter Command are no exception.

The YT-1300 Fleet Support Freighter has been modified in a variety of little ways to provide added support services to both Alliance Fleet Task Forces and Alliance Starfighter Wings. Among its upgrades are improved weapons, sensors and shields, along with in-flight refueling, minesweeping and search & rescue equipment. The result is a versatile little ship that can serve as a scout, or in a variety of different support roles in addition to its standard role as a light freighter.

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-1300 (Modified)
Type: Fleet Support Freighter
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 35 meters
Skill: Space Transports: YT-1300
Crew: 2 (1 @ +10) & 2 gunners)
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D
Piloting 4D
Gunnery 4D
Shields 4D+2
Sensors 4D
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 60 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 4 (2D)
Atmosphere: 480; 800 kph.
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 20/1D
Scan 30/2D
Search 50/3D
Focus 2/4D
Weapons:
2 Dual Laser Cannon (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: Turret (1 top, 1 bottom)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
1 Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1 (pilot or co-pilot)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-2/5/10
--Atmosphere: 100m-200m/500m/1km
Damage: 4D
Special Equipment:
Minehunting Sensor
Effect: +1D to Sensors to Detect & Identify mines in space.
Search & Rescue Sensor
Effect: +1D to Sensors to Detect & Identify living beings in space.
In-Flight Refueling Pod
Effect: Allows the freighter to replenish the consumables of starfighters and similar craft while in flight. Can accommodate one light freighter-sized vessel at a time or two starfighter-sized vessels simultaneously. Transfer rates are measured in Days of Consumables, with 1 day equaling 2 days when transferring to starfighters.
Description: This pod is mounted on the ship's underside, forward of the ventral gun turret. It features a pair of short-ranged tractor beams that lock onto other ships to bring them in close to the freighter. EVA droids then haul extendable transfer hoses across and connect them to perform the transfer. Transfer times for starfighters are generally 1 minute for every day of consumables.
Forward Launch Bay
Description: The space between the bow mandibles on the YT-1300 serves as a forward loading bay that connects to the ship's forward cargo hold. Alliance engineers have modified the cargo loading grapplers to serve as a launch system for a variety of different types of equipment, including sensor probes, mine disposal vehicles, EVA droids, and even (rarely) concussion missiles.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +1
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D Flight

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 pm; edited 8 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Though for the 'inflight refueling pod.. How exactly is it transferring fuel/power cells, air filters and food/water?
Also why wouldn't that option negate a good chunk of the cargo bay?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like it. Though for the 'inflight refueling pod.. How exactly is it transferring fuel/power cells, air filters and food/water?

Considering how vague WEG was on what constitutes consumables, I figured I could be equally vague. I never thought further ahead than simply running multiple tubes across, with one for fuel (whatever form it takes; some references talk about fuel slugs instead of fuel cells), one for atmosphere (assuming that filtration and scrubbing has progressed beyond the need for a physical filtration system), and a third for food and water. Maybe even a fourth for waste disposal, assuming that isn't just dumped from the fighter after excretion.

Quote:
Also why wouldn't that option negate a good chunk of the cargo bay?

Depends how much room all that stuff takes up, I guess. That was part of why I chopped cargo capacity down to 80 metric tons, but that's just a number.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several cut-aways, seem to show actual fuel cells (more like big @$$ batteries) than a fuel tank for ships, from looking at various pics in books. You would have to determine imo which ships have cells vice fuel tanks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think batteries would be the best comparison. Considering what starfighters can do for their size, no battery, however efficient, could provide the power necessary for what starfighters can do. Using solid or liquid fuel or heavy metals as a basis for a fusion or fission reaction, however, seems far more likely. WEG pushed the idea of power cells in 1E of Tramp Freighters, but then backed off from it in 2E, and most of the current cross-sections (i.e. the Incredible Cross-Section books) make multiple references to fuel tanks and include fluid-filled reservoirs in the cross-sections. Even the cut-aways that don't show fuel tanks make reference to fuel lines, fuel atomizers in the engine, etc. etc. I'd say its a fair bet that the canon as a whole has backed away from the idea of power cells.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the cutaways i saw was before that shift over in mentality..

In that case, there should be a big storage tank on the freighter for said fuel, AND some sort of explosion possibility if the tank is hit.
In addition, you would need to modify all sorts of ships to include some 'collection' points for those supplies.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In that case, there should be a big storage tank on the freighter for said fuel, AND some sort of explosion possibility if the tank is hit.

I was leaning more towards giving the ship a much larger Consumables rating, with the presumption that it includes larger fuel tanks, as well as atmosphere and food/water, then using that as the basis for transferring it across to other ships. In the real world, a tanker's transferable fuel includes its own internal tanks, and it can either use it or transfer it. In fact, if a tanker is rigged to receive fuel as well as transfer it, it can actually give away all of its onboard supply, then refuel from another tanker to make it back to base.

Quote:
In addition, you would need to modify all sorts of ships to include some 'collection' points for those supplies.

Or just rule that the EVA droids connect the transfer hoses to the same port used to recharge the fighter's consumables tanks when it is on the ground.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work.
As a q. Would either the fueling or receiving ship get a 'vehicle dodge' if fired upon WHILE they were linked up?
Could the damage say the tanker (or receiving) ship gets, transfer to the other via those hoses?
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crmcneil, with your permission, i would like to put this in the forthcoming cec-freighter source book...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That could work.
As a q. Would either the fueling or receiving ship get a 'vehicle dodge' if fired upon WHILE they were linked up?

I think no. The way I pictured it, the docking tractors are only strong enough to hold a ship in position while it is fueling. Any attempt to maneuver by either ship breaks the tractor beam's lock and the hose connections (although the connectors have safety interlocks that allow them to pull free without damaging them.

Quote:
Could the damage say the tanker (or receiving) ship gets, transfer to the other via those hoses?

I think I'll leave that up to individual GMs.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Crmcneil, with your permission, i would like to put this in the forthcoming cec-freighter source book...

Permission granted.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
That could work.

I think no. The way I pictured it, the docking tractors are only strong enough to hold a ship in position while it is fueling. Any attempt to maneuver by either ship breaks the tractor beam's lock and the hose connections (although the connectors have safety interlocks that allow them to pull free without damaging them.

Quote:

I think I'll leave that up to individual GMs.

Rodger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: