The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Caravel-Class Light Scout Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Caravel-Class Light Scout Cruiser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Caravel-Class Light Scout Cruiser Reply with quote

Imperial Sourcebook wrote:
Reconnaissance ships are usually light cruisers modified for even greater sublight speed, trading in about half of their laser cannon for a full complement of sensors with greater range and sensitivity than the Imperial average...

...Recon lines are more common now as the Empire equips more of its large capital ships with improved hyperwave signal interceptors (HSIs) capable of detecting flux shift. This technology allows the Imperial Navy to actually project a ship's destination once it jumps to hyperspace with greater accuracy than the old method. Enemy ships can no longer just jump out of trouble; the odds that the fleet will follow are getting better. So enemy ships often try to lie quietly in the sensor penumbra of an asteroid or similar body in order to avoid detection. Recon lines are sent into the dark places of a system to see what they can find.

Caravel-Class Light (Scout) Cruiser

The Caravel-class was designed to fill a requirement for a light scouting cruiser for the Imperial Navy. Damorian Manufacturing used the same basic hull as their reliable Carrack-Class Light Cruiser and modified it to fit its new mission, stripping out nearly half of its weapons in trade for a more powerful sensor suite, and making several modifications to the ship's drives to enhance its speed and maneuverability. While the aging yet reliable Carrack continues to serve in Pursuit Lines across the galaxy, the Caravel is now the mainstay of the Navy's Recon Lines.

In addition, the ship's internal layout has been altered to include storage, deployment and recovery facilities for space mines, surveillance satellites, probe droids and other cargo. Storage is divided into four separate holds (each with its own launch tube) with two adjoining recovery bays. The recovery bays are large enough to allow the ship's TIE complement to be stowed internally (although the ship maintains its external TIE racks to maximize internal storage). While the storage bay has greatly increased the versatility of the ship, it is not without its drawbacks. The rearrangement of the ship's interior to accommodate the bays has reduced the effectiveness of the Carrack design's compartmentalization, making the Caravel more vulnerable to damage. However, this is rarely an issue, as recon cruisers have standing orders to locate the enemy, evade without engaging in combat and return to report on enemy disposition.

Additionally, the combination of speed and stealth with the expanded transport ability has made the Caravel popular with Imperial special forces, as the launch tubes are just large enough to deploy troop and supply pods, as well as small covert infiltration platforms. The Caravel is also the vessel of choice for performing resupply missions for Imperial Army Special Missions companies deployed on hostile planets. Standard procedure is for a recon line composed of 2 to 4 Caravels to flash in from hyperspace and drop a mix of supply pods and decoys, which take erratic paths to the surface, impacting all over the planet. Of the scores of containers launched, no more than five of these are actual supply pods. Once the drop is complete, the Caravels quickly retreat back to hyperspace; if the mission requires fire support as well as resupply, different vessels will be used.

Craft: Damorian Manufacturing's Caravel-Class
Type: Light (Scout) Cruiser
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Length: 350 Meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Caravel-Class
Crew: 892 (Skeleton: 190 @ +10) & 39 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 5D
Gunnery 4D
Piloting 4D+1
Shields 4D
Sensors 5D
Passengers: 142 (Troops)
Small Craft Complement:
--4 TIE Fighters on External Racks (almost always Recon variants)
--2 Light Utility Craft
Cargo Capacity: 10,000 Tons (Normally Mines or Probes)
Consumables: 1 Year
Cost: Not available for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: X1
Hyperdrive Backup: X10
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 9 (4D+2)
Atmosphere: 400; 1,150kph
Hull: 4D+1
Shields: 2D (Can operate in Stealth Mode, applying +2D Difficulty to opposed Sensor rolls, but cannot be used in both modes simultaneously)
Sensors:
Passive 80/1D
Scan 120/2D
Search 200/3D
Focus 10/4D
Weapons:
10 Dual Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 Front, 3 Left, 3 Right, 2 Rear
Crew: 2
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 5D
10 Point Defense Cannon (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 2 Front, 3 Left, 3 Right, 2 Rear
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
CANNON TYPES (Ships may have one or the other, or a mix of the two):
    Laser Cannon
    Fire Control: 3D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/12/25
    --Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
    Damage: 4D

Dual Blaster Cannon
    Fire Control: 2D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-5/10/17
    --Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1km/1.7km
    Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
    Damage: 3D
3 Tractor Beam Projectors (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear
Scale: Special*
Crew: 3
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/10/20
--Orbital: 2km-6km/20km/40km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1km/2km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 4D
*May switch between Frigate (+10D) and Starship (+6D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.
Note: I currently haven't worked out any rules for mine warfare, but here are some suggestions.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +10
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 2D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D+1 Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Dual Turbolaser Cannon: 1D Front, 1D+2 Left, 1D+2 Right, 1D Rear
      Point Defense Cannon: 1D Front, 1D+2 Left, 1D+2 Right, 1D Rear
      Tractor Beam Projectors: 0D+2 Front, 0D Left, 0D Right, 0D Rear

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:34 pm; edited 13 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like with some of your others, where is this idea coming from.
BUT that said, i like the idea and stats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Like with some of your others, where is this idea coming from.
BUT that said, i like the idea and stats.

cc: my response under the Victory III-Class Star Carrier.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an example, g, the basis for this ship is Wing Commander Luna's Adventure-Class Fast Mine-Laying Cruiser. Luna's website has been defunct for a long time, but I downloaded a lot of stuff from his page back in the day. However, while I liked a lot of his ideas, in this case, there is little to nothing in the RAW to support the existence of fast mine-laying cruisers, or much mention of mine-warfare in general. There is, however, mention of the light scouting cruiser in the ImpSB. Since his stats were basically a slightly altered version of the Carrack, I took his stats, added the more powerful sensors and stealth shields, changed up the weapons fire arcs a little, then reworked the capsule so that the ship was now a light scouting cruiser with mine-laying capability. Along the way, I realized that this ship would be a good fit for the description of how Imperial Army Special Missions units are resupplied while on hostile planets, then added that to the capsule as well.

A lot of what I've been posting recently is the result of stats that I printed out a long time ago, some of which I can't even remember where. Going through these old stats, I found that I liked the concept, but thought there were ways I could do it better. For instance, with the Fleet Support Freighter and the Nu/e AWACS shuttle, the original concepts were Luna's Lambda Tanker and YT-1300 E-1 Tracer. In both cases, I liked the idea, but felt it could be better applied to a different vessel.

Most everything I've posted recently has been a variation on that theme: improving on someone else's original theme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: