The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Most overlooked rule?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Most overlooked rule? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Kytross wrote:
Weapon ranges. Especially in vehicles. And relative velocity modifiers.

I guess mostly details that slow down combat and make it more about the numbers than having a good time.

Seconded. Smile

Speaking of overlooking them. Where are the velocity modifiers for missiles?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missiles, Bombs and Proton Torpedoes. Missiles,
bombs and proton torpedoes are physical weapons
which deliver awesome firepower. However, they're
difficult to target. Their difficulty numbers are modified
by how fast the target is moving:
Increase Difficulty / Space / Move (Atmosphere)
+5 / 3 / 100-150
+10 / 4 / 151-200
+15 / 5 / 201-250
+20 / 6+ / 251 +

Page 127 under starship weapons.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rule always seemed silly to me because missiles and torpedoes already had such short ranges, which in turn was a legitimate representation of effective range (i.e. how far out can you fire this thing and reasonably expect to hit something). Not that having speed affect targeting difficulty is a bad thing; it just should be applied to all weapons, not just bombs and missiles.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see three rules overlooked again and again:

Stunned p.97
"A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but is still 'affecting' him ... If a character is being 'affected' by a number of stuns equal to the number before the 'D' for the characters Strength, the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes."

Spectacular Success/Failure p.79 Interpreting Rolls
+/-15 of difficulty number.

Character Movement p.101 Cautious Movement
"In Very, Easy and Moderate terrains, cautious movement is a 'free action': it's not considered an action and the character doesn't have to roll her running skill."

Granted I have modified this in my games to allow a half Move 'free action' at any time during play, but it does count as your movement action.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Barrataria wrote:
Yeah, I think that's not a bad idea but of course it depends on the player(s) and how much they've played d6 before.

garhkal wrote:
Basing it on my experiences conventioning, i'd say roughly one in 10 wild die 1's is an actual complication. The other 9 in 10 are the standard 'remove the wild and the highest other die'. So i am not seeing where everyone says its being a jerk.. Unless people only hear about those complications, not all the other stuff.

That's good to hear, I was mostly talking about nerdboards like rpg.net or Dragonsfoot, pretty much every time the system is mentioned within 5 posts someone comes along with "every time a 1 is rolled your blaster blows up" or somesuch nonsense. It makes sense that at cons the GMs are judicious in their refereeing.

Perhaps that viewpoint might be seen as 'prevalent' cause people here MORE of when someone does get a complication, vice the normal times they just lost 2 dice cause of the wild being a one..

Barrataria wrote:
I probably come to more like 30% but I try to really make it a complication and not necessarily a negative complication. I also try to be guided by the rest of the result; if the roll is over the target number by 10, it's a positive or humorous complication. I really enjoy the mechanic reminding me to throw curve balls (or knuckleballs) once every 10 rolls or so. In fact it's one of my favorite things about d6.

Its one of the reasons i much prefer 2e to 1e WEG as well.. That wild die can make things all sorts of interesting.

I tried something different with the Wild Die at a convention this year.

Before the game, while explaining the the Wild Die rule, I told them that in the event of a "1", I may ask the players "Okay, what horrible thing happens to him/her?" The player with my favorite idea gets a Character Point.

It worked okay, but the theory being that a complication would be more palatable if players had input as to what it would be and also give players an extra opportunity to earn Character Points.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I see three rules overlooked again and again:

Stunned p.97
"A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but is still 'affecting' him ... If a character is being 'affected' by a number of stuns equal to the number before the 'D' for the characters Strength, the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes.".

I thnk part of the reason for that is it doesn't explain how long after the 2 rounds of penalties, you are still affected by that stun, is why most gloss over it.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I thnk part of the reason for that is it doesn't explain how long after the 2 rounds of penalties, you are still affected by that stun, is why most gloss over it.

R&E p.97 ""A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but it is still 'affecting' him for half an hour unless the character rests for one minute."

I normally make it count until the end of the scene. I have thought about allowing a character to "reset" this during combat by taking an entire round to "shake it off." He does nothing else while attempting this. At the beginning of the next round he rolls a Moderate stamina or Strength skill roll.

This is similar to characters resetting initiative. By spending an entire round assessing the situation as the battle ensues, at the beginning of the next round they roll a Moderate tactics or Knowledge attribute roll. If successful they may re-roll their Perception. It it turns out lower than what they had they have assessed the situation incorrectly, tough break kid.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew of (and use) two of the ones you mentioned, SWR, but have to admit I didn't remember the bit about 15 over (or under) being in the rules. I still do this, generally (reward really good rolls with spectacular successes and the like), but didn't remember that actually being in there.

I also really like your idea of 'resetting' initiative. Great idea! 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

R&E p.97 ""A stun no longer penalizes a character after the second round, but it is still 'affecting' him for half an hour unless the character rests for one minute."

I seem to always overlook that page.. Thanks for catching it.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I seem to always overlook that page.. Thanks for catching it.

I'm working on d6 Fantasy and having to go through wound levels in various editions, and was surprised by that one in R&E just a few weeks ago. I don't think it's on the GM screen I use, but I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: