The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disguise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Disguise Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Disguise Reply with quote

If a char was trying to blend into a crowd would he use sneak, hide, or something else?
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hide is used for hiding objects or items, sneak is used to move stealthily...based on your description of the question, I'd say sneak.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Sneaking around is not just being stealthy, but being unobtrusive when in a crowd. Wedge used his sneak to 'blend into that bar' (or was it Pash Cracken) in one of the Xwing novels.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sneaking around is not just being stealthy, but being unobtrusive when in a crowd. Wedge used his sneak to 'blend into that bar' (or was it Pash Cracken) in one of the Xwing novels.

Huh. I have the first seven X-Wing novels, and I don't remember any RPG commentary stating what WEG skills were being used by characters in the story. Was that a Special Edition? 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Sneaking around is not just being stealthy, but being unobtrusive when in a crowd. Wedge used his sneak to 'blend into that bar' (or was it Pash Cracken) in one of the Xwing novels.

Huh. I have the first seven X-Wing novels, and I don't remember any RPG commentary stating what WEG skills were being used by characters in the story. Was that a Special Edition? 8)

Don't remember that either.

Still think the wrath squadron is the best, I haven't had a chance to read the newest book Crying or Very sad
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis a good book, some great cameos/resolutions for the original characters... but very much not the same. Worth reading, and good, but it's a new kind of beast, rather than another entry that feels like the original series.

Hard core OT, all the way!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wedge used his sneak to 'blend into that bar' (or was it Pash Cracken) in one of the Xwing novels.

The incidents I recall were in Heir to the Empire, the Last Command, and Vision of the Future, not the X-Wing novels. Technically, he failed in all three instances, except that he was supposed to fail.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it really depends upon context, depending upon what your definition of "blending in" is. This is one of those things for which several skills could apply.

Sneak would work if someone is trying to physically hide in a crowd -- hunch down, pop a collar or put a hat on, or generally avoid being seen. The flip side of that is, doing that can be quite conspicuous especially to people in the crowd who may get suspicious in their own right or start avoiding the person trying to hide (all of these things being potential complications for a 1 on the WD).

Conversely, if we're discussing acting as and looking a part of the crowd to avoid notice (since being seen is not the same as being noticed), it's a much more open question. Alien species could work (for example, moving into a crowd of aliens and not being treated with suspicion or avoided by the crowd), cultures could work as well (insofar as not sticking out as foreign), and even streetwise could work, but the definitive go-to skill would be con.

This is the kind of situation where, as a GM, you ideally want players to play to their characters' own strengths with creativity and roleplaying savvy, opposed to a simple panacea skill they may not actually have (but, potentially, skills that would also apply).

Let's take a look, for example, at this scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgfpIV29Ccc

Indy's talking about Brody using a combination of culture, languages, streetwise and con to blend into the local culture and use contacts to move completely under the Nazis' notice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

There is no official source book on it. Just my POV of what Wedge (or was it Pash) did in that Cantina.

Quote:
The incidents I recall were in Heir to the Empire, the Last Command, and Vision of the Future, not the X-Wing novels. Technically, he failed in all three instances, except that he was supposed to fail.

Ah. Knew it was some where, just forgot where.

Quote:
Conversely, if we're discussing acting as and looking a part of the crowd to avoid notice (since being seen is not the same as being noticed), it's a much more open question. Alien species could work (for example, moving into a crowd of aliens and not being treated with suspicion or avoided by the crowd), cultures could work as well (insofar as not sticking out as foreign), and even streetwise could work, but the definitive go-to skill would be con.

Those are all some good ideas for alternate skills to use. Con i might see for 'trying to not look like you are deliberately hiding, when you are, or as with the above Wedge situation, making it look like you are trying to hide when you are not.
Streetwise or cultures may be used if you are trying to blend in by imitating the locals.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile i was working on a pickpocket and was reading up on the rules. I have seen a number of movies ware the thief got away and when he got caught. Hence the blending into the crowd question.

Con, persuasion, cultures i could see, trying to fit in to the crowd.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see different skills being used for different situations.

A game I've been running a lot lately (The One Ring) often has situations where the GM can say "You can use Persuade or Inspire", picking between the two [and there are differences in the game between those two skills; one is fueled by one's passion (Heart) and the other by their smarts (Wits)].

The part I struggle with is a game system where the GM throws out potential skills to be used, and the player (just using human nature) starts hunting on their character sheet, looking for what they're 'best' at, rather than what makes the most sense.

So - to use this example as an illustration - the GM says "Well, as you try to lose yourself in the crowd, make a roll. You can use either Sneak, or Streetwise, or Alien Cultures, or Con..."

Player: "Well, I've got 6D in Streetwise, so I'll go with that!"

See what I mean? Hunting for the biggest/best possibility, rather than the GM and player working together to find the skill that best summarizes the situation.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cinematic game describe what your trying to do, have the gm decide the best skill.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just have them roll sneak. I seem to recall that Shadowing was a specialization of Sneak in the R&E RAW.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Yeah, I can see different skills being used for different situations.

A game I've been running a lot lately (The One Ring) often has situations where the GM can say "You can use Persuade or Inspire", picking between the two [and there are differences in the game between those two skills; one is fueled by one's passion (Heart) and the other by their smarts (Wits)].

The part I struggle with is a game system where the GM throws out potential skills to be used, and the player (just using human nature) starts hunting on their character sheet, looking for what they're 'best' at, rather than what makes the most sense.

So - to use this example as an illustration - the GM says "Well, as you try to lose yourself in the crowd, make a roll. You can use either Sneak, or Streetwise, or Alien Cultures, or Con..."

Player: "Well, I've got 6D in Streetwise, so I'll go with that!"

See what I mean? Hunting for the biggest/best possibility, rather than the GM and player working together to find the skill that best summarizes the situation.

That's why you set different difficulties.
Some of my modules i have situations where while gathering info they can use several skills, such as investigation, streetwise, bargaining and even computer use. Depending on WHICH skill (in which setting) depends on which difficulty they are needing.
Sometimes using the wrong skill, even with it being a higher die code, makes the difficulty number higher, to where those "extra dice" they have are negated, and in some other cases it would have been more beneficial to use one of the lower skills cause it had a lower difficulty number.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I usually just have them roll sneak. I seem to recall that Shadowing was a specialization of Sneak in the R&E RAW.

I don't see it listed in either the blue or R&E cover book. However, in Shadowrun allows Shadowing as a specialization of Stealth.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's why you set different difficulties.
Some of my modules i have situations where while gathering info they can use several skills, such as investigation, streetwise, bargaining and even computer use. Depending on WHICH skill (in which setting) depends on which difficulty they are needing.
Sometimes using the wrong skill, even with it being a higher die code, makes the difficulty number higher, to where those "extra dice" they have are negated, and in some other cases it would have been more beneficial to use one of the lower skills cause it had a lower difficulty number.

That i think would be the best. And that works for prepared sessions. When a session goes sideways it would take a fast thinking GM to have different difficulties for each skill on the fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: