The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Black Hole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Black Hole Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason the Jedi would have develope this tech is to have a system that couldn't be jammed. They could never get more than the one or two word messages. That and the darkside effect made the device not worth the investment.
It also entirely possible that the PCs will not even discover its existence. Part of me just loves the idea of that happening.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Projective Telepathy Crystaline Matrix
Use of this device allows a force sensitive to send simplistic commands or messages (1-2 words) to a droid equipped with the device. Due to the inability of droids to understand sentient emotions unintended commands are sometimes sent. If a force user with 1 or more darkside points attempts to use this device there is a chance equal to or less than the character's total DSPs on the roll of 1D that the Droid receives a negative emotion and interprets it as an order of hostility toward all life. Such droids have a tendency to go rogue if not carefully handled.

At the start of the adventure, VINCENT's unit is currently inactive. Both he & BOB will have been relligated to parts requisition and repair. BOB has a damaged vocalizer, & internal comms. VINCENT has recently had a memory wipe, making BOB the only source of a historical account, if his damage can be repaired.

This highlights a major issue for making crossovers; it is almost unheard of for two different science fiction universes to mesh seamlessly. In a purely Black Hole Universe, droids capable of telepathic communication would be a non-issue, since it is part of that universe. Star Wars, on the other hand, is quite clear on its prohibition of droids being able to use the Force (Skippy the Jedi Droid not withstanding). When making a crossover, it is necessary to select one universe (and the rules of that universe) as the primary, then use the secondary to generate something within the primary that is in the spirit of that secondary while sacrificing some of the facts where there is a conflict. Crossovers begin to fall apart when you try to force a conflicting concept into a universe where that concept breaks the rules.

As has already been said, what you are doing here is force-feeding an unpalatable concept into an existing universe. You're already making changes by making Reinhardt a fallen Jedi; why is it so necessary to make Bob and Vincent conform to the letter of their original description? Especially when there are conventional in-universes methods for achieving the same effect?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But don't forget that the prequel Jedi order just had a simple blood test for Force-sensitivity. Since even in the classic films the Force has a biological basis, the blood test makes way more sense than Kevin Anderson's "Force-scanners". Rolling Eyes But again, whatever floats your sail barge.

I agree. In fact, I was hesitant to even posit the theory. However, there is precedent within the SWU for crystals being able to connect to the Force (The Shard, Kaiburr crystal, etc). Since the Force Detectors use crystals in the detection paddles, the connection is there, if extremely tenuous.

I seem to recall some mention somewhere of Maul's DRK-1 Probe Droids being able to sense (or at least scan for) Force sensitives, but now I can't locate the reference.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But don't forget that the prequel Jedi order just had a simple blood test for Force-sensitivity. Since even in the classic films the Force has a biological basis, the blood test makes way more sense than Kevin Anderson's "Force-scanners". Rolling Eyes But again, whatever floats your sail barge.

The KJA force scanner, though allows for scanning of people without having to ask (or force them) to give over a blood sample. AND If done right, could be done without them even knowing it was getting done. Imagine if those 'scanning devices' were linked say into an airport screening like Metal detector. They would know they were getting scanned for weapons (and other metal objects) but not that someone was checking out whether they were force users or not..
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
Projective Telepathy Crystaline Matrix
Use of this device allows a force sensitive to send simplistic commands or messages (1-2 words) to a droid equipped with the device. Due to the inability of droids to understand sentient emotions unintended commands are sometimes sent. If a force user with 1 or more darkside points attempts to use this device there is a chance equal to or less than the character's total DSPs on the roll of 1D that the Droid receives a negative emotion and interprets it as an order of hostility toward all life. Such droids have a tendency to go rogue if not carefully handled.

At the start of the adventure, VINCENT's unit is currently inactive. Both he & BOB will have been relligated to parts requisition and repair. BOB has a damaged vocalizer, & internal comms. VINCENT has recently had a memory wipe, making BOB the only source of a historical account, if his damage can be repaired.

This highlights a major issue for making crossovers; it is almost unheard of for two different science fiction universes to mesh seamlessly. In a purely Black Hole Universe, droids capable of telepathic communication would be a non-issue, since it is part of that universe. Star Wars, on the other hand, is quite clear on its prohibition of droids being able to use the Force (Skippy the Jedi Droid not withstanding). When making a crossover, it is necessary to select one universe (and the rules of that universe) as the primary, then use the secondary to generate something within the primary that is in the spirit of that secondary while sacrificing some of the facts where there is a conflict. Crossovers begin to fall apart when you try to force a conflicting concept into a universe where that concept breaks the rules.

As has already been said, what you are doing here is force-feeding an unpalatable concept into an existing universe. You're already making changes by making Reinhardt a fallen Jedi; why is it so necessary to make Bob and Vincent conform to the letter of their original description? Especially when there are conventional in-universes methods for achieving the same effect?

I'm not trying to offend here, I'm just spit-balling ideas. I find it best to run with an idea until I stumble on something I like better. While I have no intention of making any of these driods force sensitive, skippy isn't the only droid with a force signature. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-5YQ
Both a holocron and the jedi scanner are crystalline based tech that can be activated by the force. If those exist, what other crystalline based force tech was created? Why are holocrons the only ones that are even rarely known?
I'm also playing with the Idea that Max instead communicates to Reinhart via a subtle dimming/brightening of his optical slit, making the telepathy moot. I would like to have some reason why Max is an evil b@st@rd* that was an unintended consequence for Reinhart. A reason why Reinhart is a little afraid of him.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I'm not trying to offend here, I'm just spit-balling ideas. I find it best to run with an idea until I stumble on something I like better. While I have no intention of making any of these driods force sensitive, skippy isn't the only droid with a force signature. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-5YQ

There is an important distinction between having a presence in the Force and actually being able to manipulate it. There are hints that Luke could identify Threepio by his sense in the Force (see the opening chapters of Heir to the Empire), but no one has ever said that Threepio was able to consciously manipulate the Force.

Quote:
Both a holocron and the jedi scanner are crystalline based tech that can be activated by the force. If those exist, what other crystalline based force tech was created? Why are holocrons the only ones that are even rarely known?

Because the EU is an information train wreck. As for the crystalline based tech, it seems so limited and useless (the way you describe it) that I doubt it would've even made it to the experimental droid stage. If it is anything like a holocron or a force scanner, the proper crystal components would be extremely rare and highly expensive. To install something that rare and expensive, and of such limited utility (not much you can communicate via a couple words) in a droid seems a massive waste of resources. Such a system would only be worth the cost if it were used to transmit information of vital importance, and how much of that can be compressed into a couple words?

It's not that it can't work, and it's not that I don't understand why you might want to include it. The problem is that your justification for how and why it exists, and what it can do, are pretty flimsy.

Quote:
I'm also playing with the Idea that Max instead communicates to Reinhart via a subtle dimming/brightening of his optical slit, making the telepathy moot. I would like to have some reason why Max is an evil b@st@rd* that was an unintended consequence for Reinhart. A reason why Reinhart is a little afraid of him.

You mean, after the lengths you are going to introduce droids that can communicate telepathically through the Force, you're passing on the opportunity to play out a droid that has fallen to the Dark Side? If you're going to insist on following through with this whole idea, play it to the hilt. Why not have Maximilian's tele-comm system originally have been from B.O.B? If you're really going to stick to the Black Hole plot line, at the very least, V.I.N.C.E.N.T. should be assigned to the characters by the Jedi Council or something...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: