The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Like Star Wars, Like Anime?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Like Star Wars, Like Anime? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a YouTube search for TIE Fighter; the film should be in the top 5. It's ~7 minutes long.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it before but watched it again with my son. He thought it was really cool, until the end when the Rebels lost. Then he was sad.

The video is an awesome artistic and technical fan achievement, but I have to admit I don't really get "anime" though. Some, probably even most of the human characters had pretty much normal eye size and placement. But then every now and then they had the 'oversized and set far apart' eyes like TCW and Rebels does. Annoys the hell out of me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
I guess, but they really need to watch the original trilogy and notice that all the officers are normal people and all the troops have different voices.

I have encountered this before. I am well aware that there are some 'movie and TV only' fans, but you're right. If you watch all six films and get out of them that Imperial Stormtroopers in the classic trilogy are still all Jango Fett clones like the grand army of the Republic was, then the Prequels just did the Jedi Mind Trick on them. The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so true fake fans don't pay to much attention. If anything those fans say the prequels was the worst trilogy but believe that all imperial forces are clones means they don't mean what they say. I have always known the stormies were recruits since I saw the movies when I was two to three years old at my grandparents house.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you watch all six films and get out of them that Imperial Stormtroopers in the classic trilogy are still all Jango Fett clones...

Thx1138 wrote:
so true fake fans don't pay to much attention. If anything those fans say the prequels was the worst trilogy but believe that all imperial forces are clones means they don't mean what they say. I have always known the stormies were recruits since I saw the movies when I was two to three years old at my grandparents house.

I knew that stormtroopers were clones in 1981 or so, and I still have the source that states that (which then was reprinted from the original January 1978 source). The only thing the article didn't make explicitly clear was why there were stormtroopers of various heights and voices. What Lucas said on StarWars.com in light of the prequels was actually suggested by the 1978 source though...

Stormtroopers were still all clones, just not all clones of the same person. Lucas suggested that the Kaminoan cloning process requires a live genetic donor/host. He said that after the death of Jango Fett, new clones began being grown based on multiple other men. No matter what your personal preference is, Lucas' explanation does work to explain the classic trilogy stormtroopers. Recruits, or clones of different people, or a mix of the two - it is most certainly not explicit in the films themselves.

But of course this obscure source was later forgotten about in the EU, and that's when stormtroopers first began to explicitly be recruits. I don't know how old you are so maybe your grandparents' basement was after that time and had the EU to supplement the films. So not knowing about the 1978 fact files article is something that most of you have in common with these 'TV and movie only' SW fans. But I wouldn't call you a fake fan for not knowing about it.

I was trying to be careful about my language. Yes, I joked that SW fans are 'weak-minded' if they think that all the stormtroopers in the classic trilogy were all clones of Jango Fett. Their powers of observation are somewhat lacking, let's say. At the very least, I would agree that it should be obvious they are not all clones of Jango Fett. But I think it a bit too harsh to call them "fake fans" for not knowing that, according to the EU, Imperial stormtroopers are both a mix of clones and recruits.

Two of my best friends and my brother are huge Star Wars fans, but haven't read very many books. I'll have to ask them what they think about stormtroopers, if they are even concerned about it. But regardless, if you knew them, it would be remiss to call them "fake fans".

I admit my knee-jerk reaction was to be upset when I first read some of these less perceptive fans' reactions to watching TFA trailer and seeing a black stormtrooper. I wanted to call them racists, but then I calmed down and realized they weren't saying stormtroopers can't be black. They really just didn't understand that a stormtrooper could take off his helmet and it could be anyone else but a Jango Fett lookalike. Are these fans a little slow? Perhaps. The sequel trilogy is going to take place around 50 years after Jango Fett died. But fake fans? No, I wouldn't say so.

In my personal SWU, all stormtroopers were clones until after the Battle of Endor when the multiple Imperial factions had plenty of armor but not enough clones so they then began using recruits (or conscription). In my post-RotJ time period there's even alien stormtroopers. But like suggested in 1978 and clarified on StarWars.com in more recent years, my pre-Endor stormtrooper clones were not all clones of the same person since 10 years after the Battle of Geonosis. Does that make me a fake fan?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonhuman Stormtroopers do officially exist as of the Legacy Era. If you look in the Saga Legacy Era Sourcebook on page 164, there is a picture of a Talz in stormtrooper armor.

As far as cloning from different source materials after Jango Fett, it could be that you require fresh genetic material on a semi-regular basis, and that you can only make a clone from a clone so many times before the quality degrades, like running a photocopy of a photocopy.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As far as cloning from different source materials after Jango Fett, it could be that you require fresh genetic material on a semi-regular basis, and that you can only make a clone from a clone so many times before the quality degrades, like running a photocopy of a photocopy.

I believe that was the idea. That doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. It is an illogical assumption that a clone military force must all be based on the same original person.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Thrawn's approach was a good example. After operations he would evaluate troopers or fighter pilots and such based on their performance and have them transfered to the Mount Tantiss cloning facility to serve as source material.

Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the mid 90's so I was pretty young. Damn smart for a two year old to notice the different voices of the troopers though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: