The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

neural interface for starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> neural interface for starships Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: neural interface for starships Reply with quote

The one administrator for cloud city has a cyborg neural interface for the city's computers.

Was thinking of something like that for an equipped ship/fighter.

either a bonus to skills or reducing MAP by one or two. But ion damage to the ship and/or certain damage levels to the ship causes feedback and the user takes some kind of damage.

As well as the cyborg penalties. If used.

Two parts to the cost. The cyborg equipment and then the interface for the ship.

Edited

Last edited by Savar on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Neimoidian have something like this. Special implants that allow they to interface directly with the ship via their thoughts. If I remember correctly it gave a bonus to their piloting and a minus to their overall Int attribute or something along those lines.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
The Neimoidian have something like this. Special implants that allow they to interface directly with the ship via their thoughts. If I remember correctly it gave a bonus to their piloting and a minus to their overall Int attribute or something along those lines.

Yes but if you do so, there is the side effect, you talk like a prepubescent Asian who has been sucking on helium balloons.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: I've got a player who is a cyborg... Reply with quote

and he has what I've affectionately come to refer to as 'cyber-pathy' its the Crozo Industrial Products At-Computer link and Droid Interface from one of the cracken books I believe, the one change we made is that 'wi-fi' exists in the Star Wars universe, there are 'secured computer ports for dedicated systems...' (Those are all the ones you see R2 plugging into...) and that he is capable of hacking those systems with wi-fi, the first couple of times he used the ability he used force points and made obscene rolls to 'reboot' the engines on a star destroyer and another time he reprogrammed the targeting computer on two different destroyers to fire on the command ship by 'adjusting their sights'.

The Empire is on to him in the game and his difficulties are getting harder and he's finding more dedicated systems that don't have a wi-fi connection...To take it back to the original comment though, he did ask about interfacing with the party ship to get bonuses and what not, I asked if he really wanted to be 'psychically' connected to the ship while it was taking damage?

Knowing me as well as this guy does, he said 'No' and that put an end to that discussion real quick.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Venerath wrote:

Yes but if you do so, there is the side effect, you talk like a prepubescent Asian who has been sucking on helium balloons.

For sure. I like the fact that it has a drawback. Anything that is rocking 3 or 4D bonuses should have a pretty steep penalty associated with it (at least from the perspective of a perpetual GM).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a player who is a cyborg... Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
and he has what I've affectionately come to refer to as 'cyber-pathy' its the Crozo Industrial Products At-Computer link and Droid Interface from one of the cracken books I believe, the one change we made is that 'wi-fi' exists in the Star Wars universe, there are 'secured computer ports for dedicated systems...' (Those are all the ones you see R2 plugging into...) and that he is capable of hacking those systems with wi-fi, the first couple of times he used the ability he used force points and made obscene rolls to 'reboot' the engines on a star destroyer and another time he reprogrammed the targeting computer on two different destroyers to fire on the command ship by 'adjusting their sights'.

Sort of making it more like shadowrun 4/5th ed where everything is online all the time.
Anyone ever hacked HIM via his interfaces?
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a player who is a cyborg... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Sort of making it more like shadowrun 4/5th ed where everything is online all the time.

As a matter of fact, yes I have and he didn't appreciate that very much either...LOL
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the earlier Adventure Journals, there is an article about unique items and technology that includes a neural interface for controlling ships.

There is also a cybernetic device in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide that boosts a character's Mechanical attribute.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
In one of the earlier Adventure Journals, there is an article about unique items and technology that includes a neural interface for controlling ships.

There is also a cybernetic device in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide that boosts a character's Mechanical attribute.

Do you know what journal it was in?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, in the article "Glah Ubooki's Strange & Wondrous Imports."

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cracken's Rebel Field Guide one is on page 37.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Have not read them yet, but would it be to unbalanced to just reduce the MAP by one or two?

With the Borg taking damage with the ship.

Damage is char scale, can not use armor to help resist.
Ion damage = 1D per ion damage level
regular damage = 1D per damage level starting at shield damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an experimental or jury-rigged system, maybe, but a full-up combat version will almost certainly have cut-outs or filters of some kind to protect the user.

And I think a skill bonus is more appropriate than just a simple MAP reduction.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: I've got a player who is a cyborg... Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
garhkal wrote:

As a matter of fact, yes I have and he didn't appreciate that very much either...LOL

What did you have happen, when someone DID hack it?

crmcneill wrote:
For an experimental or jury-rigged system, maybe, but a full-up combat version will almost certainly have cut-outs or filters of some kind to protect the user.

And I think a skill bonus is more appropriate than just a simple MAP reduction.

Cut outs may exist, but would that not then burn out and stop their cyborg control over the system when they take damage?
But i agree, a flat skill bonus is more appropriate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the nature of the cut-out. Even something as basic as a simple physical cut-out, like a circuit breaker, could be manually reset with ease. An ion-hardened input filter system, ala WH40K auto-senses, could automatically filter out damaging levels of input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: