The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TFA Trailer 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> TFA Trailer 2 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: TFA Trailer 2 Reply with quote

Since no one else has posted it, I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I much preferred this one to the first.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, ya know, maybe this is nothing, but has anyone else noticed that "Episode VII" is not attached to any of the official promotions. They seem to refer to it as "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." Have they just stopped numbering, or is that just not a part of the advertising?
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trailer looked pretty terrific.

I was pretty trepid about this movie, but as soon as I saw that crashed Star Destroyer, I felt my heart jump.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the traditional voice of pessimism... Wink I didn't dig seeing a melty Vader helmet; that feels like a callback that can only ever be dumb. (Could be wrong, though; perhaps I will simply 'pay the price for my lack of vision!')

What I am concrete about not liking (like, to a homicidal-rage level) is the BSG-style camera zoom-in during the Falcon chase. That, along with a lot of the shots (mostly, those taking place in daylight, for some reason) have a very 'Abrams' style, but completely lack the Star Wars visual style. With the retro transitions, framing, lighting, and editing, Star Wars has always had a very distinct cinematography, owing a lot to the old movie serials... and this film just doesn't seem to share the 'look'. (Sometimes. There are scenes in there that look perfectly Star Wars-y, too). So, I think that visual style- especially if they're doing the tired old 'look, it's a documentary camera that zooms in and re-focuses to follow the action' thing for starship scenes, is gonna be a major obstacle for me in enjoying this as Star Wars.

(And I swear, I will hunt down the first person to quote 'You must unlearn' at me... Wink)

BUT... the tone, and actual content, are looking spot on. The opening shot was an AMAZING slow-reveal, the entire environment looks very cool, TIEs (modified, but still recognizable) and X-wings were fantastic to see... there were some great news designs, some sort of neo-Imperial capital with stormtrooper ranks marshaled, R2 in a cool (if Mustafar-reminiscent) environment...

In short, I am not happy about how (it appears, from these glimpses) the film is choosing to present its content, visually... but the actual content being presented is looking really, really great, and the emotional balance struck by the trailer was spot-on.

Hard core OT, all the way!
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the trailer, but I was less then thrilled to find out that they have renamed the factions for some reason. Instead of the Empire versus the Rebellion, instead it is... The First Order versus the Resistance.

The first one is fine, I guess, but the 'The Resistance' boggles me. The only way I can see it making sense is that there was a 'new' Republic and this first order took over (again) and a bunch of people are fighting them (again).

It's annoying.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did that come from? I missed it.

evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came from the props they showed at Celebration. Here's the article.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to hope that the Rebel Alliance has established itself as a government of some sort (or made some headway in 30 years; that feels like the only way to retain meaning in the ending celebrations of ROTJ), and that 'The Resistance' is a rebellious group *within* the First Order (separate to the third faction, and nominal allies, represented by whatever the former Rebel Alliance has become), and that group just hasn't been name-dropped yet.

cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I'm going to hope that the Rebel Alliance has established itself as a government of some sort (or made some headway in 30 years; that feels like the only way to retain meaning in the ending celebrations of ROTJ), and that 'The Resistance' is a rebellious group *within* the First Order (separate to the third faction, and nominal allies, represented by whatever the former Rebel Alliance has become), and that group just hasn't been name-dropped yet.

That would make a lot of sense. Further, most of the trailers we've seen have focused around a stormtrooper with a face (ergo probably one of the good guys, or a guy in the process of turning to good), and a lot of snapshots set in rags and ruins. We haven't seen anything that would be an established governing machine. If the movie takes place on the fringes it would give a lot of room for seeing a resistance movement within the First Order.

(Geez, I can't believe I'm reduced to making plot deductions based off of a couple of two-minute trailers... but there you have it.)
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
'The Resistance' is a rebellious group *within* the First Order (separate to the third faction, and nominal allies, represented by whatever the former Rebel Alliance has become), and that group just hasn't been name-dropped yet.

Well, the only issue with this that "The Resistance" are the ones piloting those fancy new X-Wings and wearing the rebel crest.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

(Geez, I can't believe I'm reduced to making plot deductions based off of a couple of two-minute trailers... but there you have it.)

This is the internet. It's what we do. 8)

evilnerf wrote:

Well, the only issue with this that "The Resistance" are the ones piloting those fancy new X-Wings and wearing the rebel crest.

Oh yeah. Sad Well, maybe they... something...
Strike team sent behind enemy lines to aid the resistance?

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like just about everybody over on rpg.net (where there's pages and pages of formerly pessimistic nerds reduced to tears of joy), I loved the new trailer, and think it's going to be awesome! 8)
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:

Okay, evilnerf, you're starting to talk sense. Since this is the internet, I'm going to have to ask you to stop pointing out simple and logical facts to disassemble the wild speculation I'm developing based on nuance, and vague disparate notions. I just can't abide people making sense!

Smile

Zarm R'keeg wrote:

Oh yeah. Sad Well, maybe they... something...
Strike team sent behind enemy lines to aid the resistance?

That's where I was going to go, but it seems kind of a stretch. Though certainly plausible.

But let's forget how likely that is to be in the movie at this very moment, and maybe we could build this into some sort of adventure idea or campaign seed.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Okay, evilnerf, you're starting to talk sense. Since this is the internet, I'm going to have to ask you to stop pointing out simple and logical facts to disassemble the wild speculation I'm developing based on nuance, and vague disparate notions. I just can't abide people making sense!

Hence why they kicked me off all the other Star Wars boards and I had to come to this planet so distant from the bright point in the galaxy.

Anyway, yeah, I get a real warlord vibe from this "First Order", kinda like Zjinj's Raptors and the name definitely makes me think of the Second Imperium. So they don't really concern me.

What really concerns me is that they appearantly felt it necessary to replace the name of the Rebel Alliance with a synonym but seem to leave everything else the same about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: