The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Successes on Die Rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Successes on Die Rolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Using Successes on Die Rolls Reply with quote

One of the things we use to instead of difficulty numbers. Have been using it the last couple of years. This is the latest version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJ6-xQ0_cKHV3p3dDIwNHdIam8/view?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Looks vary much like shadowrun.

A game i played 2nd ed to 5th ed.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowrun was always on my bucket list but never made it. Now you have me curious on their mechanics.

I had started playing Heroquest again with my kids, that was what tipped us onto this particular path.

It does make success/failure very quick and easy (and not too terribly apart statistically).
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
Shadowrun was always on my bucket list but never made it. Now you have me curious on their mechanics.

I had started playing Heroquest again with my kids, that was what tipped us onto this particular path.

It does make success/failure very quick and easy (and not too terribly apart statistically).

4th & 5th (newest) would be best to look at.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Using Successes on Die Rolls Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
One of the things we use to instead of difficulty numbers. Have been using it the last couple of years. This is the latest version.

If they are still rolling all their dice and having to compare them to a 4 TN to see how many successes they get how is that making things easier than just rolling all the die as is and adding it up?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Using Successes on Die Rolls Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Venerath wrote:

If they are still rolling all their dice and having to compare them to a 4 TN to see how many successes they get how is that making things easier than just rolling all the die as is and adding it up?

Depends on how they're mind works. If it is easier for them to compare or add.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Successes on Die Rolls Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Venerath wrote:

Try it, you tell me. I can glance at a die pool and see almost immediately if they were successful. We have used this with a wide variety of ages, from 10 up a guy in his 40's. For every one of them it was faster. Especially as the dice pools grow. I can roll 9 or ten dice and in one or two seconds see what the "result" is. That same roll would take some of my players, for whatever reason, a good thirty seconds to a minute to sort out. There are fewer mistakes as well.

That does not make it "better", just that for us it really simplifies and speeds up the process (without losing the core statistical spread that the original system maintains). This means I can pick up any existing adventure for D6 and just as easily make the "conversions" to successes on difficulty numbers and what not in my head. It requires little, if any, additional prep for me.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when you need to then do the addition/subtractions to find out what your dice pool IS based on all the mods, i see it being the same time/a little more than just rolling your stat (minus MAPS) and adding it all up.. And yes i have played shadowrun, and i see all the computations for your die pool taking a little longer than the same for SW D6.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But when you need to then do the addition/subtractions to find out what your dice pool IS based on all the mods, i see it being the same time/a little more than just rolling your stat (minus MAPS).

The computations for my die pool are virtually identical to existing computations for regular D6. (Instead of consulting a chart for range difficulty you consult a chart that minuses from your dice pool). Something that most GM's have memorized after the first run through. There are no "extra steps" so to speak. (adjust for cover, for range, melee weapon difficulty, etc).

2ER and REUP are both far crunchier than 1ED, with more additions and modifiers and situational rules. The number of "adjustments" you make to the dice pool (or difficulty number) is really impacted by the edition and the number of combat/optional adjustments you are using.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. The only mods i see are
Combat - range sets base or enemy dodge roll does.
Cover and consealment.
MAPS based on # actions taken.

Force powers - Prox and relationship mods...
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked through mine as well, the only thing that does not have a direct equivalent is the idea of cumulative successes (a concept that we feel like adds to many encounters). Everything things else had a 2ER counterpart.

Its pretty clear that you are a fan of the the way things are, that's fine as well. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its cause i find it easier to add things up rather than having to troll through to see which are hitting the 4 (or 5)+ marker.. call me strange that way.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this sort of thing before with the D6 Legends OGL document. It's basically a success-based system. IIRC someone did the math on the probabilities, and it doesn't really change all that much of the standard adding up the dice pool.

So, in many ways, it up to the subjective experience of the GM as to which one feels more natural or "seems easier."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: