The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1e vs Introductory Adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> 1e vs Introductory Adventure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: 1e vs Introductory Adventure Reply with quote

As someone who has slowly compiled various 1e and 2e printed tomes (and has access to a holocrom or two) I must say thank you to the board. I did pick up my books last year before prices went up as well. As someone who generally prefers somewhat abstract games with the need for too much granularity, I must profess that I am more attracted to 1e vs 2e while also interested in integrating static defenses and wild die into a 1e framework for even more ease and fun.

That being said, I have seen it mentioned on this board that the 2e Introductory Adventure is akin to 2e Basic SW or version 1.9 of SW d6. Is it something one could base a long game on? Could one use the 2e books with it seamlessly or would there need to be conversion (as with 1e)? By itself is it a full engine that can be expanded or would 1e be a better engine?

Note that when I run games it is either with children or a rolling cast of older types so there is usually one person who needs the introduction and the easier that can be the better.

Cheers
Cheers
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1e vs Introductory Adventure Reply with quote

Teazia wrote:
As someone who has slowly compiled various 1e and 2e printed tomes (and has access to a holocrom or two) I must say thank you to the board. I did pick up my books last year before prices went up as well. As someone who generally prefers somewhat abstract games with the need for too much granularity, I must profess that I am more attracted to 1e vs 2e while also interested in integrating static defenses and wild die into a 1e framework for even more ease and fun.

That being said, I have seen it mentioned on this board that the 2e Introductory Adventure is akin to 2e Basic SW or version 1.9 of SW d6. Is it something one could base a long game on? Could one use the 2e books with it seamlessly or would there need to be conversion (as with 1e)? By itself is it a full engine that can be expanded or would 1e be a better engine?

Note that when I run games it is either with children or a rolling cast of older types so there is usually one person who needs the introduction and the easier that can be the better.

Cheers

Cheers. Do you mean Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game?

I love the IAG! It's a really neat product with a lot of material. I wouldn't say using the 2e books with it would be completely seamless, but what little conversion you would have to do would be cake. Yes, you could easily run an entire campaign using the IAG system. I personally feel its a better engine than 1e. I would suggest having either the 2e or R&E book as reference though (you probably do), especially if using 2e materials for the IAG system. Here are a couple threads that discuss the (expandable) adventure included with the game...

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4470
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5014
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill and I are in agreement that IAG is one of the best engines for d6. You could absolutely runcampaign with it. As far as 2nd ed material compatibility... you CAN make it work easy enough, although there is some conversion required. For instance IAG does not use parry skills, and vehicle hull and damage scales differ.

I am working on a 1st edition redo which does integrate some of the IAG stuff like Force rules, and the elimination of parry skills, while keeping speed codes and a variable range system and skills like com-scan. As a used of the IAG system (running an Indiana Jones pulp campaign now) I wanted to make the 1st ed /IAG system more accessible.

But I would strongly encourage you to start a campaign with IAG. Conversions can be done by reading 2nd edition rules regarding scale... This will give hints on how to convert the hull codes and weapons...

I have found Peter Schweighofer (the author of IAG) very willing to give advice when he can (he wrote the game 20 years ago) on the google+ thing too.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, it's got a nice accelerating sense of scale and scope- a kind of tutorial that starts small and ramps up through vehicles, starfighters, larger scale battles, and finally starship combat, giving not only a story that builds well, but a gradual introduction of all the common elements and types of combat in a logical progression. It really eases players in, I think- and has one of the more dynamic storylines of a WEG module, at least to me.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: