The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid: BA-MX Personal Healthcare Companion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droid: BA-MX Personal Healthcare Companion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Droid: BA-MX Personal Healthcare Companion Reply with quote

A fun little something, because I can, and nobody else did yet:

BA-MX Personal Healthcare Companion
Medical Assistance Droid

Stats & Skills:
DEX 1D
KNO 2D – Alien Species 5D, Scholar: Medicine 5D
MECH 1D – (A) Bacta Tank Operation 4D
PER 2D – (A) Injury/Ailment Diagnostics 4D
STR 2D – Strength Feats 6D
TECH 3D – First Aid 5D, (A) Medicine 5D
MOVE – 4, Legs

Construction:
- Personality matrix: Complex; friendly, gentle and caring; standard is “male”, though a “female” version is in development;
- Body: Humanoid, 190cm tall, lightweight skeleton with inflatable exterior skin, may collapse and compact for storage into a 50x70x30cm package;
- Video and audio receptors: Standard range;
- Speech system: Full vocabulator, with a gentle, pleasant voice;

Build-in Equipment:
- Full-spectrum medical scanners and diagnostic equipment (+2D Injury/Ailment Diagnostics);
- Synth-skin dressing, bandage, and cast resin dispensers, spray nozzle and air-hypo fed from multi-load reservoirs, fire extinguisher, utility blade, surgical stapler, foldable oxygen mask, and defibrillator, all build into hands and fingers;
- Full-body heater;
- Audio and video recording and display suite;
- Data-link for external database and net connection;
- Plug-n-play chip-slot hub for skill and database modules;
- Small storage compartment, may be used for lollipops for well-behaved child patients;

Traits:
- Inflatable: Controllable inflation, compact for storage and fitting into tight spaces; STR 5D against all blunt impacts until punctured (damage level of “wounded” or worse), may be used to cushion falls; Unsinkable until punctured, may serve as a floatation device/life raft; Huggable, looks like a marshmallow;
- Ham-hands: Though surprisingly agile and nimble, fat fingers still cause a 2D penalty for any task requiring fine manipulation not related to first-aid and general medical procedures; Definitely not a surgeon;

Product Information:
- Producer: GenOme Corp. Robotics Branch
- Cost: 10.000 Cr (new)
- Availability: 3

Capsule:
A high-class product for a better-off customer, “Baymax” is intended as a “personal healthcare companion and medical assistant”. Programmed to be a very skilled and knowledgeable, friendly, and, above all, caring, general practitioner, nurse, caretaker, and/or emergency responder, BA-MX is capable of fulfilling almost any healthcare needs of a huge array of sofonts, of any age, gender, or species. Possessed of a gentle, pleasant, calm, and nurturing personality, “Baymax” can provide companionship and psychological as well as physical comfort. His huggable, non-threatening, somewhat goofy appearance hides surprising strength and durability – “Baymax” can lift huge weights and bend steel, to shift debris off of victims, free people trapped in wrecks, or just effortlessly carry his patients if needed, and is able to withstand considerable impacts, to be used as an improvised air-bag for emergency crash or fall protection. Equipped with an extensive array of medical sensors and scanners, as well as comprehensive medical databases, BA-MX can diagnose most known ailments and conditions, and is provided with medicine and drug storage and dispensers to treat them. He can dress most any wound, from a scraped knee to a blaster shot, set broken bones, and resuscitate and stabilize critical patients, though he is not equipped or programmed to be a surgeon, and any procedure of a more serious and invasive nature should be related to a specialized droid or professional. His programming is very customizable and easily modified, and any additional skill or knowledge his owner may wish to “teach” BA-MX is just a data-net connection or plug-in module away.
- Tom Lehrer
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well cross overs like this would make sense. You think wal-e will max a cameo in VII on jakku.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it, yes i would like to see Walle
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would do this.. Looks good.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Well cross overs like this would make sense. You think wal-e will max a cameo in VII on jakku.

Savar wrote:
Like it, yes i would like to see Walle

Wall-E and Eve have already been done:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78588&highlight=walle#78588
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raises an interesting point for other droids. The inflatable aspect requires a fully air-tight seal, so what sorts of advantages would a droid gain if it had a fully sealed body that could stave off dust contamination inevitably and keep its joints lubricated longer?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Raises an interesting point for other droids. The inflatable aspect requires a fully air-tight seal, so what sorts of advantages would a droid gain if it had a fully sealed body that could stave off dust contamination inevitably and keep its joints lubricated longer?

I'd think any droid built to potentially operate in vacuum (all astromechs, message droids, probe droids like the Arakyd Viper, the Hatchling maintenance droid, etc.) would already have to have air-tight sealed joints and body. From what I recall of Real Life(TM), open space is very unkind on lubricants (they freeze or boil away), and - by extension - moving parts. Same goes for any droid expected to go underwater - you don't want water in your electrics and electronics. So I doubt the inflatable Baymax would be any kind of exception here.

Plus, he's not really "air-tight". He uses sucked-in atmospheric air to inflate. Any dust that's in the air "inhaled" to inflate would get into his system, just like any other droid without the "baloon" skin. It may happen slower - he only gets the portion of dust sucked in at inflation, and not constant exposure like others - but it happens all the same.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming there isn't some sort of filtration on the air intake system...

My point was more that, even with the ability to pump in air, the skin must be sufficiently airtight to hold that air in without appreciable loss of pressure. That airtightness will have the added advantage of keeping outside air (and any dust it contains) out.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A filter on the inflation system is a good idea.

The main point still stands: I do not believe Baymax is in any way unique in his "air-tightness".

As to what effect such sealing has on a droid's maintanace needs, that's below the game resolution level I'm really interested in currently. Though it could be a selling point of a droid model... If it ever became important, I'd probably say an air-tight seal lowers the frequency and/or cost of maitenance the droid needs. By how much would depend on the exact duties it is expected to perform during normal operation. For Baymax, with the rather low-intensity action he is normally built for (exempt some genious gadgeteer kid rebuilding him into a super hero...), it could be a significant saving. For an extreme conditions droid, like space or deep sea models, probably not so much.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree, insofar as the frequency and cost reduction of maintenance. It certainly wouldn't be a uniform modification, else Threepio wouldn't be whining about dust contamination in ANH.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course a typical protocol droid like C3PO would not likely be environmentally sealed as standard - he expects to spend most, if not all, of his operating time in climate-controlled building and spaceship interiors, or at least in urban areas, not wandering around outdoors wilderness on a desert planet, for example. No reason to increase costs unnecesserily, not on a standard model anyway.

For any droid expected to operate in hostile environments (space, underwater, toxic atmospheres, etc.), or just ruggedly outdoors for most of time (like recon and exploration droids), it should be pretty standard equipment, I'd wager. I'd also expect it to be a common, if not necessarily ubiquitious, on military machines.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It would certainly be available as an upgrade for droids that didn't have it, of course...

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly just got this from the library two days ago.
All but "The Dragon's" gadgets would fit in a SW universe with slight modifications. Wasabi's laser gauntlets are practically lightsabers already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: