The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

character points for $$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> character points for $$$ Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: character points for $$$ Reply with quote

Reading in the 1e rule book players are allowed to use skill points to improve their ships and equipment. As a gamemaster allow a player to impoverished their bank account and by how much. For me 200 crews per cp.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had finished reading this section I would see that using a skill point cost 100 credits to improve the ship. Since the skill point has an exchange value of 100 credits in-game would you let a player sell a cp for 100 creds, or would this be a good use for the wealth die code from D6 Space (which would probably have E3 before WE sold the license). Spend a cp roll wealth die code times the result by ten.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was to allow this, it would be a graded cash amt per CP that increases.

BUT i wouldn't start it that low (100 credits is small change imo).

500 credits for 1cp
1000 credits for 3cp
1500 credits for 5cp
2000 credits for 7cp
2500 credits for 10cp
3000 credits for 11cp
3500 credits for 13cp
4000 credits for 15cp
and so on. Each level above the last, adds the 2 prior levels +1cp..
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cracking up because I thought from the thread title you were talking about adopting an MMORPG/iphone game system for your RPG.

"Well, you earn 5-10 character points per adventure, but if that earning rate is too slow, you can purchase in-game upgrades for real world money! Slip me a $20, there's 15 CP right there. For $50, You can level up an attribute 1D... and at the deluxe level, $150 and I'll let you steal a ship... or go Gold Plus! For $500, I'll let the group capture a Star Destroyer!"

Hard core OT, all the way!
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I was cracking up because I thought from the thread title you were talking about adopting an MMORPG/iphone game system for your RPG.

"Well, you earn 5-10 character points per adventure, but if that earning rate is too slow, you can purchase in-game upgrades for real world money! Slip me a $20, there's 15 CP right there. For $50, You can level up an attribute 1D... and at the deluxe level, $150 and I'll let you steal a ship... or go Gold Plus! For $500, I'll let the group capture a Star Destroyer!"

In my house my two boys play in all our weekly rpg games. It has become common for them to ask for experience points on thier character for doing extra chores instead of asking for a raise in allowance.

Nothing is funnier then asking a kid to do a load of laundry and having him reply can i get 100xp for that.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread would be $$$ for character points. That sound like a money machine.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Zarm R'keeg wrote:

In my house my two boys play in all our weekly rpg games. It has become common for them to ask for experience points on thier character for doing extra chores instead of asking for a raise in allowance.

Nothing is funnier then asking a kid to do a load of laundry and having him reply can i get 100xp for that.

Rofl, having kids, that is funny! Laughing
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:

I laughed out loud at this, thanks for the imagery.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Zarm R'keeg wrote:

In my house my two boys play in all our weekly rpg games. It has become common for them to ask for experience points on thier character for doing extra chores instead of asking for a raise in allowance. Nothing is funnier then asking a kid to do a load of laundry and having him reply can i get 100xp for that.

After reading this post I mentioned it to my wife while we made dinner, wondering out loud why my own boys haven't asked for this arrangement. The words are barely out of my mouth when from the other room I hear "I didn't know we could do that!" Good stuff!
Selective hearing is amazing sometimes!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bribery?? I don't like it. Sets them up for failure if they play in someone Else's game ..
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you represent this, though, if you did allow it?

I'm thinking of using this in my game. The players are well away from home but are getting paid by the New Republic, except it's going into their bank accounts back home rather then to them while they're off fighting.

I'm thinking of houseruling it so you can spend character points on cash like this, and it represents you drawing from your funds back home that the New Republic has been paying them.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have a good example of how this would work in-game. I thought that this would be used when cp is spent to improve skill. "I'll up my blaster and starfighter piloting skills and take the rest in cash".

I also thought of this a "other" money. If the character had a salary I wouldn't have them spend a cp to get access to it. If the character had no money and needed some they could spend a cp and get a few hundred credits for it as long as the gm needed the character not to have money. But a explanation to how a character suddenly has a lot more cash needs to be better than "hey I just found two hundred creds in this jacket I haven't worn in a year".
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I didn't have a good example of how this would work in-game. I thought that this would be used when cp is spent to improve skill. "I'll up my blaster and starfighter piloting skills and take the rest in cash".

I also thought of this a "other" money. If the character had a salary I wouldn't have them spend a cp to get access to it. If the character had no money and needed some they could spend a cp and get a few hundred credits for it as long as the gm needed the character not to have money. But a explanation to how a character suddenly has a lot more cash needs to be better than "hey I just found two hundred creds in this jacket I haven't worn in a year".

Lol, the pick pocket had to dump his goods, placed them on you.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:

I also thought of this a "other" money. If the character had a salary I wouldn't have them spend a cp to get access to it.

You say that now, but I've got 15 player characters of varying rank and military status. Rather then finding out each of their pay grades and figuring out all that other stuff, this is beginning to look like a very elegant solution.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you put in a limit to how much cash they can create by cashing in CP?
What of going the other way.. Converting cash into CP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: