The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sign of the times?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Sign of the times? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have the entire WEG Star Wars RPG 2e line (and all 1e products not reproduced for 2e), but I've picked up a handful of cheap extra copies of R&E over the years for convenience (to have one on all three levels of my home), and to give copies away as gifts. I'm not actually in the market for R&E or any WEG SW RPG products, but just out of curiousity I looked online. With three variously worded searches, I found the price range from $40.00 or best offer (+ $10.80 shipping) to $124.99 (+$4.00 shipping) with a six month payment plan option! Amazon Marketplace has them from $59.95 to $185.78 (all with $3.99 shipping)!

That may be what some people are LISTING them for. The question is what are they SELLING for.

I could put a pair of worn-out socks on a marketplace with a price tag of $45,000, but it doesn't mean someone will be fool enough to buy it. I've seen high prices for a GOOD long while, as I'm always tracking down copies for friends.

A search for SOLD items on eBay have gone from between $26.00 to $50.00. I think that I was in a discussion group about a month or two ago where someone came in touting that he had a "good" used R&E that he was listing for $60.00. The group responded by posting links to eBay items of nearly identical items that were currently bidding at $18.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, I will be in Columbus tommarrow. Any chance you could put a list of the 5 game store in town so I can look them up after work?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroes and games
400 N High St, Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 228-8500

Ravenstone games and hobbies
1675 Karl Ct, Columbus, OH 43229
(614) 844-6463

The Guard tower
3600 Trabue Rd, Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 488-4311

Those are what i could find. the rest seem like they are more PC/console game stores.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to that list is my first stop usually for games The Soldiery. He has had quite a few good deals on out of print books in the past but the last time I was there the inventory was much less than I remember.

Thanks for the list though I heard of Ravenstone but have never been there.

Is the Heroes and Games the one located in the Convention Center ?

I think I have been to the Guard Tower and it was mostly board and miniature games.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Columbus FLGSs? Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Whill, I will be in Columbus tommarrow. Any chance you could put a list of the 5 game store in town so I can look them up after work?

Oddly, I can't remember ever going to Heroes and Games, unless I just ducked my head in quickly at a previous Origins and it didn't impress anything in my memory. Yes, that is in the Convention Center so I guess I should check it out at Origins.

Unless they've expanded, Ravenstone Games is tiny. That was over by my son's former daycare but I haven't been there since before he started preschool, so it's been a couple years. They at least used to have lots of RPGs on the shelfs including even Purgatory WEG.

I also haven't been to the Guardtower in a couple years, but they at least used to have a decent selection of RPGs, including a handful of old games.

Beyond the Board is the one that a huge retail space but a pitifully small selection of RPGs.

And there's my comic shop Packrat Comics which expanded into games, but after a year replaced most of their RPG selection with more board games.

I've never heard of The Soldiery, but it's right over by my church behind the comic shop I don't like. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

If you stop by Ravenstone or Guardtower, I'd be really interested in hearing your status report on them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many I will be able to hit. Usually takes me a full day if I include all of the half price books locations, and I don't finish my meeting till about 3pm. I might just hit the High Street locations on may way back north, and then try to catch Ravenstone.

The one in the convention center had a small shelf of old rpgs, if I'm not mistaken I picked up some Twilight 2000 books when I was there last September. I can't recall if they had any Star Wars as I wasn't in the market for it then.

Thanks for all the info either way and I will definately let you know how my trip goes. Also let me know what you think of Big Fun when you get a chance to go. If you collect any of the Star Wars toys its the place to go, as well as any other action figures or media related toy you can think of.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a failing for action figures.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you were right. It is a sign of sad times..

I hit three half price books: Lane (had the 2e r&e for 50 and a first edition rule book for 9.99), Bethel (no star wars d6), and High (2 shelves of rpgs total and no d6 star wars).

I also hit
Packrat comics(Hilliard) - nice place but you were right very light on rpgs.
Beyond the Board - Amazing selection of boardgames and nice people working.
Ravenstone games - messy, a bit disorganized but still a cool place. No rpg section to speak of outside pathfinder and dnd.
and
The soldiery - saddest of them all what used to be a whole room dedicated to rpgs both new and old is now almost all board games.

4 hours of driving around to find nothing that sparked my intererest.

Whill you are completely right about the trend at game stores in Columbus. Sad
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I did not stop at Guard Tower this time, but the last time I was there was late last year and they focused more on Miniatures and Boardgames as well.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa, thanks for your thorough (but sad) report.

The Lane Half-Price was where I saw the $50 R&E, and at that price, I'm sure that copy you saw today was the very same I saw recently. It still burns me a little. There is a current SW RPG, so I really can't see demand for two games ago being so high to justify that price.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The Lane Half-Price was where I saw the $50 R&E, and at that price, I'm sure that copy you saw today was the very same I saw recently. It still burns me a little. There is a current SW RPG, so I really can't see demand for two games ago being so high to justify that price.

That is the same location where I got the Darkstryder box brand new for 30, it had a tag under it that read 50 so I think they drop the price over time.

They also have the original Dr Who rpg in the glass case for 75 the last time I was there it was 100. I really think the people who run that location are just heavy with the price gun. Most of the other locations have better prices.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:

That is the same location where I got the Darkstryder box brand new for 30, it had a tag under it that read 50 so I think they drop the price over time.

They also have the original Dr Who rpg in the glass case for 75 the last time I was there it was 100. I really think the people who run that location are just heavy with the price gun. Most of the other locations have better prices.

You may be right. I don't make it to Lane Ave that often. My usual Half-Price is the one I live closest to, Bethel. High St is over by church, and I sometimes also make it over to State St (Westerville). A new Half-Price is opening up off 23 (Lewis Center) in August, and I'm looking forward to another Half-Price within 15 minutes of home. We have a Half-Price distribution center in Columbus, so in theory all the stores draw from the same source, except of course the stuff sold directly to stores by customers (which you would think would go on sale at the same store). Individual stores may have the freedom to price stuff however they want, even from local distribution center.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you for certain that the prices vary from location to location on almost everything. They obviously got a bulk order of 4th edition Gamma World and those range from 15 to 20 based on location. I am not certain how thier business model is set up but there doesn't seem to much rhyme or reason behind thier pricing.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe all the $14.98 copies of R&E I've bought did come from the same store (Bethel).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bethel location a lot. You would think the High street local would have more rpgs being so close to the university and student housing but they have the smallest selection out of all the stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: