The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Canon or Legends?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Canon or Legends? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Canon or Legends? Reply with quote

So, I'm curious what you guys plan on doing with your RPGs as you move forward.

Right now we're kind of in a weird place because "Canon" doesn't really consist of much. But assuming the sequels aren't a total flop, do you plan on running "Canon" campaigns using EU material as you fit?

Or do you, like me, plan on putting a "Legends" sticker on everything and saying that everything that happened in the EU is still true in your universe?

I can see pros and cons to each and I'm curious.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm firmly in the Cannon, seasoned with whatever Legends fit. Most of the material set before RotS is solid, as is some shortly after. Rebels and Rouge Squadron will play havoc with the previously established continuity though. As much as I love the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire, I have never been all that impressed with how the New Republic or the New Jedi Order was depicted. Do I think they should happen, Yes, but the way the EU set them up seemed like a poorly thought out portion of the story. I can ignore plot holes, but the Rebel Alliance always seemed way more organized than the New Republic as depicted in the EU.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon or Legends? Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
So, I'm curious what you guys plan on doing with your RPGs as you move forward.

Right now we're kind of in a weird place because "Canon" doesn't really consist of much. But assuming the sequels aren't a total flop, do you plan on running "Canon" campaigns using EU material as you fit?

Or do you, like me, plan on putting a "Legends" sticker on everything and saying that everything that happened in the EU is still true in your universe?

I can see pros and cons to each and I'm curious.

The EU was self-contradictory. Also, the EU and the non-film canon in the canon universe both contradict the films (which also makes the canon universe self-contradictory).

And canon doesn't consist of much yet? What about the entire TCW series? A large of chunk of that is definitely not a part of my SWU because Anakin being granted Knighthood a few weeks after his terrible pain of the loss of his mother was felt by Yoda literally across the galaxy is ridiculous. Years before the end of the Clone Wars? And then a few days after becoming a Knight, Anakin is assigned a padawan? Utterly absurd. "When I left you, I was but the learner."

My SWUs are not self-contradictory, and my current SWUs do not contradict the existing films. Therefore, my Star Wars Multiverse was never completely compatible with the EU.

More to point, my SWUs have always taken what I like from the canon universe and the EU, and alter or disregard the rest. I do not expect that to ever change. The new non-film canon works will have no different considerations than the Legends stuff. As they come, it will be case by case.

So the more burning question for me is, will the new films be a part of my SWU or not? I hope so, but I won't know until I see them. And WEG SW was the very basis of the EU, so yes, no matter what, my SWUs will continue to use EU material (and canon) as I see fit.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if/when I get around to actually starting the new game I'm planning, I'll start with situations and events reasonably close to Episode I. Actually, it may take some playing before we even get to that point. But from there the game will go wherever it goes - as an RPG should. Events will flow from the actions of the PC's, from the PC's successes and failures. I'll keep a vague outline updated with where the game COULD go from wherever it stands, but I'd rather play NEW adventures that simply happen to be in the same "universe" than to keep trying to replicate events from movies and books. I won't even use many NPC's that the players will recognize. Many MIGHT just be re-skinned versions of someone but, again, NEW adventures, not repeating what's been done. I don't play D&D to recreate Lord of the Rings or Knights of the Round Table. So, even though I play Star Wars it won't BE Star Wars if you see what I mean.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and welcome to the Pit, D+1.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My games have always been set in the classic period as I've always found the prequels to suck. The clone wars cartoons redeem that era but excommunicated the movies from my imagination. Dark Empire is the only thing I'll miss about the new canon, so I'm guessing if the sequels are good I'll fall right in line.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really could care less, I personally will use legends as canon in my universe still and I will add things created for disney cannon. I tend try to stay away from the clone wars period though since there tend to be more of an emphasis on Jedi characters. I really dislike having to gm a group made up of four or five Jedi and one sane person who is just an average joe. But that's just my opinion.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it curious that there is so much attention to canon at the gaming table. By the very nature of you telling an unauthorized story set in the SWU, it cannot possibly be canon.

From there, most people just kind of pick and choose between elements of the EU that they want or do not want to include. I'm sure that will be the way it is in December. When the new movie comes out, people will follow the movie continuity, and others will follow Legends based on what works better for their story.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that there is someone in this forum that knows "everything" about Legends and Cannon, but in my table and for my groups of play it doesn't matter. All we need is the spirit of the films: heroism and some dirty business. The EU is only a framework, a tool to simplify adventure creation.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
I'm sure that there is someone in this forum that knows "everything" about Legends and Cannon,

Hey forceally, I think this guy knows you! Smile
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
I'm sure that there is someone in this forum that knows "everything" about Legends and Cannon, but in my table and for my groups of play it doesn't matter. All we need is the spirit of the films: heroism and some dirty business. The EU is only a framework, a tool to simplify adventure creation.

See, my point of view departs significantly. When I run (and to a lesser extent, when I play) I like to stick within the EU as closely as possible. It helps me when I feel like I know the world in as much detail as possible. Makes the game more fun to me to know "Oh hey, we're in Warlord Zsinj's territory. We'll have to watch out for his patrols"

Not saying I'm right or your wrong, just my own philosophy.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point +1 Very Happy

We have to be prepared as GMs, of course, or be a born-improvisator GM when we sit down at the table. It helps that the players know something about the background too (I'm with you, I like that too as a player), but I prefer not to play with Wiki-gamers, because I want to have fun living adventures together, not arguing about who knows better the background of the game. I have had bad experiences with that. Crying or Very sad

I'm just saying that I don't like to ruin the moment or a session plot thinking if something is exactly Canon, Legends... I prefer to avoid involving Enterprise in my SW sessions, but I'm not closed to introduce some Eclipse Phase elements, like a more dark mood, class conflict... well, I have to say that my players don't know so much about SW universe.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legends 100% of the way, however canon may develop. Too much of my brain-space is taken up with it to switch over, even IF I didn't think the stories were a thousand times better than anything canon has delivered or seems poised to deliver (possibly excepting Rebels).

evilnerf wrote:
It helps me when I feel like I know the world in as much detail as possible. Makes the game more fun to me to know "Oh hey, we're in Warlord Zsinj's territory. We'll have to watch out for his patrols"

Exactly.

Hard core OT, all the way!
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
but I prefer not to play with Wiki-gamers, because I want to have fun living adventures together, not arguing about who knows better the background of the game. I have had bad experiences with that. Crying or Very sad

I completely understand where you're coming from. I haven't had any problems with it myself, but thats part of why I GM so often, and as far as I'm concerned, what I say goes as far as what is "Real" in my Legends based world, although I do try to stick as closely as possible.

I'm playing I a Game of Thrones game being run by someone who never read the book. It is insanely frustrating to me when his characters act in ways that make very little sense. I had like a 10 minute argument about Primogeniture just last week.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times i try to stick to canon as best as possible, but some legends or what iffs are ok to do. Such as the one i had several BSG like cylon ships show up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: