The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mixing with 54mm/2 inch Command Figures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Mixing with 54mm/2 inch Command Figures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Mixing with 54mm/2 inch Command Figures Reply with quote

After selling my Bones 2 Kickstarter set, I made a small investment in SW Command sets for the dual purposes of general toy play for my son and for use in D6 SW games. As the sets have a variety of figures in multiple eras (and you can get a 50 unit mix of basic troops for $10!) I now have a nice collection of potential war game figures in 54 mm/ 2 inch scale. I also have a wide variety of ships from the sets and a few of the Hot Wheels Ship models.

I know D6 SWMB is in 1 inch scale, but would it be easy to double the scales to 2 inch? How compatible is the set with the D6 1e ruleset?

How compatible would the figs be with Heroscape Terrain? ( I also made an investment in the terrain when I sold some Dwarven Forge KS sets). Love the stack able interlocking hexes!

And the final question, is the game super fun?

Razz
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the game fun: Have you played the D6 RPG yet? It is more like that than the war-board-games that are the norm for Star Wars now. It is like... a set of ideas for how you can run tabletop games in the Star Wars universe. Nothing has concrete stat lines, for example. Instead they give you guidelines for what the stats of stormtroopers or wookies are like and you decide what the squads in this particular night of gaming are going to have for skills and equipment. It is a very detailed game engine in some ways (example: there's a difference between a model being injured vs. dead, and you have to keep track of who all is injured and who isn't) but lacks the special rules that tend to give other popular scifi rulesets their flavor.

As far as scale issues go, I think you could just gloss over it. Models move roughly 10 inches a turn and the blasters shoot like 40 inches, so it is a much broader groundscale than say, Warhammer 40k. That is the most important aspect for scale compatibility and I think it would mesh just fine with 2" figures.

Putting the figures on uniform bases is important for the rules, I used to play with unbased figures and it was just annoying as heck. If it were me, I'd get a bunch of 2 inch round bases for your guys (fender washers work well) and paint them neutral colors, with a dab of blu-tac in the middle for the figure to stick to. This is assuming you don't want to permanently base and paint your toys.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are VERY compatible with 1e D6. It is what they were designed for. The idea with the game was you could either use it to run wargames in the SW universe, or use it to expand the RPG to include massive battles. The game contains 6 types of units:
Squads
Heroes
Droids
Creatures
Vehicles
Crews (effectively, they are very small squads that drive the vehicles)

It was intended to be easy to convert a D6 PC (or big recurring NPC) into a SWMB Hero. The squads were used to cover the staple troops of the galactic civil war. To ballpark it, you need about 2 squads of 10 (each side) so 20 stormtroopers and 20 rebels is a good start. The rest gets filled out with squads of 3-10 bounty hunters, mercenaries, specialized rebel and imperial squads like wookies, ewoks, Death Star gunners, etc. Anything less than 15 or more than 60 models per side, and the game mechanics start to distort pretty quickly. 100 models total is really the max I would ever fiddle around with in a single game.

They actually made a few crossover scenarios for the games. There was an RPG game that culminated in a battle between rebels and imperials. umpteen imperials were the defenders, the rebels got their PC's as heroes and a singel squad of troops (representing the local rebel resistance cell). If the PC's had befriended one of two warring gangs, they also got help from a squad of armed gangers. If they'd brokered a truce between the gangs, they got help from two squads.
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the 1e book. It seems the 2e is more available in the usual places.

Is the 1e Battles book stand alone? I know the 2e books has the companion.

Blue tac and washers seems like a good idea. 2 inch permanent bases would be a bit cumbersome for long terms play/storage.

If anyone wants to pick up a cheap starter set of Command, TRU has the 51 fig sets (50 soldiers +1 Vader) for $10 and the 22 fig Rebels set (an assortment of characters and vehicles including some force users) for $8. $18 gets you a nice starter set. Free shipping for orders over $50 or $3 shipping if you get them from KBToys on ebay (same prices).

Cheers!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is TRU? Is this "command" game the one with pull-back vehicles and such found in Target?

The 1st OR 2nd will work for you. Both would be compatible with the 1st ed. RPG as far as I can recall, I have owned both at various times. The only substantial change to 2e minis was the addition of a "move" characteristic that is used to calculate a models walk and run rates, but that is no biggie.

the D6 Holocron site used to provide free pdfs of the 2nd edition book and the add-ons. Not sure if it still does. The books are frequently listed at insane prices but whenever one (rarely) comes up for auction with a starting price of $0.99, the bidding never goes up much past ten bucks. Be patient and you can get one for cheap.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare 2nd book, I'd be willing to part with it for 10 including media mail or cheap shipping if you are in the US. I don't think they are very much on ebay if you look around. The full 2nd box set has gone for around 25ish I think.

Just checked ebay the prices are running a little high currently but they did have a complete box set for 41 or best offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-End-Games-Star-Wars-Miniatures-Battles-Starter-Set-Mint-/321780325719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aeb9a1d57
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Command is the Pull back and knock em down series available in Target. The figs are great (especially at the current discount price) and paintable if one desires. There were also similar scale red and blue "hologram" figures included in 2006 SW toys, which can be acquired in sets on Fleabay. It includes certain currently Command unavailable figs such as Darth Maul, Amedala, Old man Ben, action Emperor and Yoda, plus Dooku. Usually quite cheap.

Another similar scale is the Star Wars Unleashed Battle Packs from 2006ish. They may be slightly larger, but are prepainted and bit more expensive on the secondary market. IG88 (and other bounties) some more ladies and Ventress are of note.

TRU is Toy R Us. Sorry for the confusion.

Heh, I now have something like 14 Mandalorians (6 Bubba, 4 Jenga and the 4 Rebels girl). That's enough for small army!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the prices on ebay for this stuff are very inflated right now. A few months back I picked up 2 different copies of the "Rebel Characters" box set (one with box, both with rules insert) for around $12, people are asking $50 for it now. Mint blisters are typically listed buy-it-now for around $25 which I KNOW is too high cause I listed a ton of unopened blisters at BIN for far below the average and they still haven't sold months later. I understand the supply is very limited, but demand is virtually non-existent. If the D6 Holocron site is dead, just shop around, the books will come up for cheap enough eventually. You are looking for three books: SWMB, The SWMB Companion, and SWMB: Imperial Entanglements. That last one is mostly scenarios but it contains some neat new troop types and stuff. The SWMB Companion is necessary if you want to use any vehicles in your games.

Yeah I wondered about that game at Target and Toys R Us, thanks. I don't think I will be getting any of those figures, I have hundreds of West End metals and even more of the WOTC pre-painted plastics.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I was going to say the other night, doubling the groundscale to 2" would actually be disastrous. When I said blasters shoot "around 40 inches" that average is a bit deceiving. Heavy blaster pistols shoot 25, hold out blasters a paltry 6 inches, but the blaster pistol and blaster rifle shoot a respective 60 and 150 inches! Doubling that would mean never having a big enough table to play on!

As for the question "is 1e standalone", technically they both were. However I played for years as a kid with the 1e rulebook and the 2e companion. There really is that little difference between the two editions. Like, same illustrations appear on the same pages in the same order and probably 95% of the text was unchanged between the two editions. 2ned ed added a "Move" characteristic as I've stated, but was predominately created out of a need to meet demand. The original production run completely sold out, and 1st ed used really, really bad binding, so even a brand new copy in the store back then would lose pages if you looked at it funny. So 2e was mostly just to fill the market demand and fix quality issues, not to actually update the game in any major way.

I think 1e was bound with nothing but rubber cement. I'm not even exaggerating.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this site?
http://d6holocron.com/downloads/wegminiatures.html
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Have you seen this site?
http://d6holocron.com/downloads/wegminiatures.html

Sure have, but I didn't read too closely as I was waiting for the 1e version. But, if the two versions are virtually identical, I suppose I can give it a closer look.
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I forgot I was going to say the other night, doubling the groundscale to 2" would actually be disastrous. When I said blasters shoot "around 40 inches" that average is a bit deceiving. Heavy blaster pistols shoot 25, hold out blasters a paltry 6 inches, but the blaster pistol and blaster rifle shoot a respective 60 and 150 inches! Doubling that would mean never having a big enough table to play on!

As for the question "is 1e standalone", technically they both were. However I played for years as a kid with the 1e rulebook and the 2e companion. There really is that little difference between the two editions. Like, same illustrations appear on the same pages in the same order and probably 95% of the text was unchanged between the two editions. 2ned ed added a "Move" characteristic as I've stated, but was predominately created out of a need to meet demand. The original production run completely sold out, and 1st ed used really, really bad binding, so even a brand new copy in the store back then would lose pages if you looked at it funny. So 2e was mostly just to fill the market demand and fix quality issues, not to actually update the game in any major way.

I think 1e was bound with nothing but rubber cement. I'm not even exaggerating.

The bases on command figs are 1.5 inches (and they are pretty steady as is). Even though the figs are a good bit bigger, I could see, using the scale RAW, or maybe multiplying by 1.5.

Heroscape hexes are 2 inches, but they can be bisected three ways, so if space is an issue, I can rule that each hex is 10 feet, and if movements are in 5 foot increments you need to bisect it in the way least favorable to you (requires some abstract thinking, but not too much). Or just say it is 10 feet if movements are in 10 feet increments.

Thanks for the heads up on avoiding the 1e book in print. I do enjoy saving problem books with PVA glue though. It gives one a nice feeling of accomplishment (more so than trouble shooting a computer). It must the 579 years of print, vs 35 years of the PC.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also played a lot of Heroscape and I would not try to adapt the SWMB game to its tiles. The tiles would make good hills, and maybe rule that the brown tiles are rough terrain, the grey very rough, etc. etc. but the WEG game would not translate well to a hex map. You can always just put down a big green or brown tablecloth and build your hills or rock formations from Heroscape tiles, and the ruins and trees would work fine. But WEG SWMB really is a game of 360 degree movement and line of sight, so rulers and tape measures are your best bet.

In other fun news I rounded off my first squad of snowtroopers (to ten) but won't bother posting pics of them because they look just like the others. Time to start on the rebels and get the shield generator finished!
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realizing that this is a faded topic, I've got a copy of SWMBC I'd let go for around $10 shipped in the US.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Good job, I can't stand the greedy prices some people ask for this stuff. $10 is about right for that old book. I am on the verge of doing a bunch more painting and then I will be more active on here again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: