The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character creation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Character creation Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well damn, look at that. I was wrong. Seems to me that it's an oversight given that you can improve skills one pip at a time, but if you wanna stick by RAW then Womprats is right.

You can keep the Rum Ham though. You've earned it, kiddo.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HalcyonDaze wrote:
A further question to this. When allocating the 7D starting skill dice at character creation, does each skill have to be incremented 1D at a time, or can it be broken up into 3 pips per die, which would allow for smaller bumps across a greater number of skills?

I couldn't find this explicitly stated in the 2E blue book.

No, you don't have to do it 1D at a time. Yes you can do smaller bumps by breaking up whole skill dice into pips. Like ShootingWompRats said, you can think of it as getting 21 pips to increase your skills. But by RAW, you can only break up 1D into three separate specializations.
HalcyonDaze
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. That's what I needed to know. I don't see it as too unbalancing to allow 21 pips instead of 7D, so that's what I'm going to go with.

I have the REUP book but only in .pdf format. Haven't really browsed through it yet; I prefer looking through a paper copy. Is there a thread that lists what REUP specifically fixes from 2nd edition?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I think the only thing it really changes is the addition of advantages and disadvantages. Most of what it does is put all the widely-used optional rules in one place. As well as providing all sorts of gear, ships, and weapons that spanned several eras and books. Many of the SAGA conversions wound up in the REUP.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least some of the combat options are original.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. REUP is pretty balanced.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HalcyonDaze wrote:
A further question to this. When allocating the 7D starting skill dice at character creation, does each skill have to be incremented 1D at a time, or can it be broken up into 3 pips per die, which would allow for smaller bumps across a greater number of skills?

I couldn't find this explicitly stated in the 2E blue book.

It was never explicitly said in either 2e or 2e revised unfortunately. BUT it is a very common interpretation based on the 3 {pips for specialties} from one die..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: The Bonus Die Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
I was wrong. Seems to me that it's an oversight given that you can improve skills one pip at a time, but if you wanna stick by RAW then Womprats is right.

I don't think it's an oversight. Seems to me the game was intentionally designed to have quick character generation. Pick a template, allocate 7D in skills, write-down a character name, description and other personal details. Boom. Get a new player into the adventure right away. I think the system's creators prided themselves on the game not having an in-depth character generation system that requires a whole game night to complete.

Splitting the entire 7D in starting skill dice into 21 pips would make skill allocation take longer, allowing the player consider the nuances of allocating 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 pips to each skill choice. Skill improvement happens after the adventure, not before. It works in increments of pips because that is the best way for it to work. (It's more realistic advancement than waiting a longer period of time to suddenly increase a full die.) Skill advancement is not retroactive to character generation, meaning you don't go back and write up a history of when your character gained each pip leading up the the point the character is first played. The full skill dice allocation is good enough to create a character that is instantly playable and still have a background justifying how he got to those skill set values.

But as others have indicated, I agree there is nothing game breaking by splitting all 7D into 21 pips if you're willing to spend the time to really fine-tune your character concept. Back in my 1e days (which was before even specializations), I stayed with the RAW 7D in starting skill dice. When the original 2e (blue book) split up some of the skills into multiple skills, I house-ruled giving PCs one extra die bringing the total to 8D starting skill dice, that 8th die being the one that could be split into three specialization dice. Somewhere along the way after that, I allowed that one die to be split into any combination of 3 total specialization dice and skill pips. Now that I've re/consolidated a lot of skills, I've kept the extra starting skill die anyway.

Now, the "bonus" die can provide as follows:

• an 8th die to allocate to skills just as the first 7D, or
    • 1 advantage (from a very short list of general low-powered special abilities), or
    • 1 species-specific special ability options (very few species even have these available)

- OR -

• 3 skill pips, or
    • 3 skill specialization dice, or
    • 3 additional starting language fluencies, or
    • 3 additional GC contacts, or
    • any combination thereof out of this "3" list, adding up to 3 total.

(The language fluencies one is actually a R&E optional rule in the GM note of the Language skill description.) For every campaign I actually always devote an entire session to PC creation because it really is a group effort for us. At this time we also create the ship, any party droids and design GC contacts.

EDIT: Char Gen: The Bonus Die/Advantages, Fluencies & Contacts
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: