The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rumor hound or spoiler free?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rumor hound or spoiler free?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4441

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Rumor hound or spoiler free? Reply with quote

Out of curosity, what is everyone's approach to TFA information? Are you looking at rumor sites? Are you engaging in the speculation? Are you staying away from all such information? Have you even sheilded your eyes and stopped your ears to the trailers?

Why have you chosen to take your approach to the new Star Wars movie?
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 164

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squarely in the middle--I don't seek it out (other than the trailers), but I don't actively avoid it either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
griff
Commander
Commander


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 481
Location: Tacoma, WA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck only to the trailers on purpose. With the small exception of Google imaging the first order stormtroopers, and have been very excited about the many different types there are.
_________________
"EXECUTE ORDER 67. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound like order 67..... No, wait. Yes, yes it does. EXECUTE ORDER 68" Palpatine's last moments - robot chicken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5686
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've look at the official trailers and such, but avoid fan speculation and rumors. Officially they have kept a pretty tight lid on this thing. We know almost nothing about the plot of the film, which is such a different experience than it was with the prequels. It makes me feel like a kid again with the classic films where we had no clue about where the story would go next for TESB and RotJ.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12219
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll catch trailers, but do what i can to stay away from spoilers..
_________________
Confucious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4441

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've look at the official trailers and such, but avoid fan speculation and rumors. Officially they have kept a pretty tight lid on this thing. We know almost nothing about the plot of the film, which is such a different experience than it was with the prequels. It makes me feel like a kid again with the classic films where we had no clue about where the story would go next for TESB and RotJ.


I'm kind of in the same boat. A friend of mine has tried to talk about rumors with me, though it seems like wild speculation, in contrast with the previous three films.

I must say I'm rather intrigued without having anything spoiled for me. I'm also avoiding any books that are lead-ups to TFA. My thought is that the film shouldn't require the books in order to make sense. If you have to study before going in, it's an exam, not a movie. Smile
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2023
Location: Kansas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only watched the first trailer; I don't need anything more.
_________________
Blasted rules. Why can't they just be perfect?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5686
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm also avoiding any books that are lead-ups to TFA. My thought is that the film shouldn't require the books in order to make sense. If you have to study before going in, it's an exam, not a movie. Smile

You've expressed that sentiment before, and let me assure that is not in any way the essence of the "Journey to The Force Awakens" publishing event. I have several of the books, and the post-RotJ stories all take place very soon after RotJ and only deal with movie characters vaguely, if at all. It's really a a bait and switch because they market it like these books are going to be significant background to the film, but they're absolutely not. So far they've revealed that the canon universe is... slightly different than the EU. That''s it! In a way it's a big let down but at least they are keeping the film virgin continuity. It is clear that publishing is under the same strict guidelines to not so much as whisper anything related to the new film and keep it completely unspoiled.

And from what I've seen so far, the "Journey to The Force Awakens" is a total rip-off and let down because the overall content is just horrible (including the new reference books). But that doesn't really give me too much concern about the films. If they have to put all their eggs in one basket then I'd be ok with it being the films. Publishing always was and should be secondary. And also on the bright side, maybe the publishing will get better with the film's release because they will finally be able to actually tie into the film.

So the "Journey to The Force Awakens" gets a big thumbs down from me. You aren't missing any 'homework' or anything good for that matter.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4441

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really kind of a shame. Reading through backstory sounds like it would be great entertainment in a month. But, if it is neither quality entertainment nor actual backstory, then....

Sad
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: I never liked homework anyway. Reply with quote

My SW:FA exposure thus far
  • Watched all trailers and TV spots
  • Examined new toys (when I stumbled upon them)
  • Read Claudia Gray's Lost Stars

As for speculation, I've engaged in my own but I'm not much interested in others'.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lost Stars. I like a good YA novel and this one was very breezy, with star-crossed lovers trope handled deftly yet executed in appropriate over-the-top fashion. The novel's peek into academy life was fun. Ha, I couldn't help but wonder if Luke would've flunked! As Whill suggests, not a spoiler to be found, although it does paint an interesting picture of the Empire post-Endor, including the Battle of Jakku.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Volar the Healer
Jedi


Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Posts: 661
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a rumour hound.

However, the more I see, the more concerned I become. JJ really destroyed Star Trek - except for the character names, nothing is very recognizable. I'm becoming concerned he's about to destroy Star Wars in the same way.
_________________
Know Jesus, Know Peace.
No Jesus, No Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12385
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the middle. I don't go out of my way to avoid rumors, but I don't really go looking for them, either. This stems from my wariness about the new film in general; I won't know whether or not I like where the new film takes the SWU until I see it, so I'm not getting too excited about it.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Barrataria
Commander
Commander


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 295
Location: Republic of California

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have several of the books, and the post-RotJ stories all take place very soon after RotJ and only deal with movie characters vaguely, if at all. It's really a a bait and switch because they market it like these books are going to be significant background to the film, but they're absolutely not. So far they've revealed that the canon universe is... slightly different than the EU. That''s it! In a way it's a big let down but at least they are keeping the film virgin continuity. It is clear that publishing is under the same strict guidelines to not so much as whisper anything related to the new film and keep it completely unspoiled.

And from what I've seen so far, the "Journey to The Force Awakens" is a total rip-off and let down because the overall content is just horrible (including the new reference books). But that doesn't really give me too much concern about the films. If they have to put all their eggs in one basket then I'd be ok with it being the films. Publishing always was and should be secondary. And also on the bright side, maybe the publishing will get better with the film's release because they will finally be able to actually tie into the film.

So the "Journey to The Force Awakens" gets a big thumbs down from me. You aren't missing any 'homework' or anything good for that matter.


I was just thinking about this today... and your capsule here is consistent with most of the reviews I've seen on Amazon and what others have told me. And what I gleaned from 10 minutes in a comic book store, in the case of "Shattered Empire" :/ I'm feeling pretty confident that my post-Endor campaign can live on happily without breaking Ep 7 canon. Because I'll ignore the EU, just like the good old days Smile

Sometime if you have time and inclination, would you mind starting a thread with the titles you've gone through? As I say I saw enough of the comics, and flipped through Aftermath a bit and was not enthused at all. Maybe we can keep a running tally of this stuff as it comes out.

Oh, and as to the original post... I have watched the trailers and read some rumor threads but once the NDAs started dropping out and the press tours ramped up I quit before I learned too much. Assuming, of course, there's a lot to learn in the film. Hopin'!
_________________
"A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing"- George Lucas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0