The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier? Reply with quote

I'm under the impression that hyperdrives propel ships far beyond the speed of light.

Considering that it takes years or decades for the light from stars to reach other star systems, and ships in Star Wars can do it in hours or even minutes... but even if it took days... that's still thousands of times greater than "light speed."

Thoughts?
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Awakens has now demonstrated that lightspeed/hyperspeed is whatever you need it to be.

Ships travel between systems in seconds now.
And they can even wait in place in hyperspace until given instructions to drop out of hyperspace (A big WHAT? moment from me).

So in my games, hyperspace moves at the speed of plot, and I'm ging to ignore any numbers, skill checks, etc. If the filmmakers don't give a crap, why should we?

Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, didn't something similar hapen in RotJ? With the ambush on the death star?

Now, I can understand being in a hyperspace "loop" while waiting for a specific time... kinda like you see at airports where the traffic can circle around all they want since parking is sometimes unavailable... perhaps that is how we can interpret "waiting in hyperspace."
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were circling the planet when I watched it
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier? Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm under the impression that hyperdrives propel ships far beyond the speed of light.

Considering that it takes years or decades for the light from stars to reach other star systems, and ships in Star Wars can do it in hours or even minutes... but even if it took days... that's still thousands of times greater than "light speed."

Thoughts?

The only hard number mentioned in the EU was in Dark Force Rising, where a Victory I Star Destroyer (x1 in D6) has a normal cruising speed in hyperspace of 127 light years per hour, but can go "far faster" if needed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Speaking of which, didn't something similar hapen in RotJ? With the ambush on the death star?

My impression was that they were waiting in deep space near Endor, which is the scene where the Rebel Fleet jumps to hyperspace.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

My impression was that they were waiting in deep space near Endor, which is the scene where the Rebel Fleet jumps to hyperspace.

The Rebel Fleet had massed near Sullust and jumped to hyperspace from there. Right before they came out of hyperspace, Leia said, "The Fleet will be here in moments." The Rebels had a predetermined timing for entering hyperspace and journey duration, to come out of hyperspace at a specific time, which the shield generator was supposed to have been destroyed by.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier? Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Thoughts?

I use 200 light years per hour as standard speed for X1 class hyperdrive.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom-zoom!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's zipping right along...
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast is a x1 hyperdrive multiplier? Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
I use 200 light years per hour as standard speed for X1 class hyperdrive.

That's actually pretty slow for what we see in the films. The film characters must be travelling much faster than x1 because they go thousands of light years in very little time. I think the system works best with no actual distances dealt with. Just standard durations and calculated travel times. Durations take into account distance and astronomical\hyperspace factors and how well known the path is (lots of goobledegook fudge room). Introducing actual distances means a greater risk of introducing unnecessary scientific inaccuracies into the your game, if you care about that sort of thing. Star Wars is so fantastic that I have to find a balance with realism, so specific lightyear distances aren't mentioned in my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I guess you just have to interpret the term "light speed" as a galaxy-wide colloquialism, or a relic of terminology from when the most primative hyperdrives first broke the "light barrier."
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yeah. I guess you just have to interpret the term "light speed" as a galaxy-wide colloquialism, or a relic of terminology from when the most primative hyperdrives first broke the "light barrier."

You're on to my line of thinking. My thought was that lightspeed is short for "faster-than-light-speed", what they called FTL travel back when it was new, well over 25,000 years before the films. By the time the old Republic was founded, the term had already been colloquially shortened to lightspeed and it stuck.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
... in my games, hyperspace moves at the speed of plot, and I'm ging to ignore any numbers, skill checks, etc. If the filmmakers don't give a crap, why should we?

Smile

I've always kind of done this. Travel takes/took time, but, unless there was something super critical time-dependent, the actual time taken didn't matter.

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

You're on to my line of thinking. My thought was that lightspeed is short for "faster-than-light-speed", what they called FTL travel back when it was new, well over 25,000 years before the films. By the time the old Republic was founded, the term had already been colloquially shortened to lightspeed and it stuck.

Never underestimate the power of slang Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: