The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

When will you first see The Force Awakens ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> When will you first see The Force Awakens ? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

900pm pacific time on the 17th with the family. This will be his first movie. AND was my first movie when I was 1 and it was the 1 year rerelease. My boy is only three and a half but has seen all of the movies (but he thinks III ends when Ben says he has the high ground). Then I have a ticket from noon one the 18th (scheduled the day off work a year ago).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
For me it depends on the IP in question. Regarding this one in particular, my laissez-faire approach is probably naive and foolhardy.

Star Wars is the only one I am this crazy about.

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I, too, will be seeing a 7pm showing on December 17th, at a local, downtown theater. Then I'll go see it again in a couple weeks in IMAX 3D, just because. It's bloody STAR WARS, man!!!

Right on, man! I think I only saw AotC in IMAX. IMAX screens weren't that common in my city during the prequel releases but I definitely won't miss out this time. And since my first three viewings of TFA won't be 3D, I'll make my IMAX one 3D too to kill two mynocks with one blast.

Darth_Kjeran wrote:
The cool thing is, the city I work for is having special free screenings of ANH, ESB, and ROJ for employees and their families on the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Very Happy Happy, happy joy joy!

Sweet! I haven't seen the classic films in the theater since '97 (but I saw them all multiple times). I have however seen all of the Indiana Jones films in the theater in recent years and that was awesome.

TyCaine wrote:
I work for the Mouse, as many of you know already, and have been given the opportunity for an advance screening, for employees only (unfortunately no family members allowed), prior to the main release...

I suppose the advanced screening for employees is on or after Monday night (12/14), which is good. I can see a disgruntled employee on his way out of the company blabbing spoilers just to spite Disney. I'm not saying there any disgruntled employees and I'm not implying that they should be disgruntled for any reason. I'm not saying anything bad about Disney. I'm just generalizing about things disgruntled employees might do to spite their employer in general. If this does happen, it should be during my media exile.

TyCaine wrote:
I am, however, choosing to wait and see the film with my family, particularly my kids who are HUGE Star Wars fans (I mean HUGE, like, Second Death Star HUGE, and they are enjoying all aspects of Star Wars, including a little D6 Lite)... It's a choice not made lightly, my kids made me pinky swear we'd see it together (this was before they learned I would have the chance for an advance screening!) so I am bound by that. Smile
My kids are awesome... Very Happy

That's admirable. My wife and I both want to see this PG-13 film first before my kindergartener sees it, so he's going to the neighbors Thursday night. And I'm seeing it again Friday morning with my longtime friend (since before RotJ) who had to work Thursday night, so I'll have a second viewing under my belt before taking my son on Monday morning. That way I can prep him for anything and even live edit. We'll have a system of touching his arm means look away or something

TyCaine wrote:
But I hate to say, I've gotten too old to stand in line for hours, or in some cases camp out over night, for screenings. I've done many in my lifetime, and nowadays I'm more of the mind that I'll see it when I see it.

I think I'm a bit older and way past you on 'too old to stand in line for hours'. I'm very concerned about seating for my first viewings of Star Wars but I'm not waiting in line to get the best seat, so I only deal with assigned seating theaters so I have a guaranteed location regardless of when I show up. I supposed they don't have theaters like this everywhere, but they are very common in Columbus.

griff wrote:
900pm pacific time on the 17th with the family. This will be his first movie. AND was my first movie when I was 1 and it was the 1 year rerelease.

I think I'm more excited about taking my son to see Star Wars in the theater than I am for the new movie myself. I was 6 by the time the original Star Wars came to my town and my dad took me, and my son is now 6. The circle is nearly complete

griff wrote:
Then I have a ticket from noon one the 18th (scheduled the day off work a year ago).

I had December 17th - January 3rd approved off from work last December. I normally take the Winter Solstice through New Years off every year, but because of Star Wars I just backed up my start date. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm going to be very careful on it between the 14th and the 19th. But I should be here.

Cheshire, I will begin my hiatus tonight, but I will check back in here Thursday night and start monitoring for spoilers that need the font colour edits, if you want to take a break from here from Thursday night until after you see the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger roger.
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Saturday.. 15.45 at the Empire Leicester Square, 3D IMAX
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aiming for a Sunday screening at a suburban theatre not too far from me. I'm amazed how many places in SF are selling out with SW screens. One place downtown is going to be screening from 9 AM-2:30 AM!!

I recently saw something in 3D and really didn't care for it. I'll make my wife see it sometime the following week, and maybe she'll want to do that.

My main consideration is to not be a** to elbow with loudmouths. I don't like crowded theatres at all, so I'll try my best to avoid them.

As for spoilers, I'm not doing anything special to avoid them although I won't be clicking on anything other than official reviews from the reviewers I usually read about movies.

Finally... I"ve been thinking a bit these days about how fantastic it is that this is happening. I really doubt we'll have another prequel fiasco.. but more interestingly SW has existed for 40 YEARS. And this isn't a remake (although I have my suspicions on that score) or a reboot or anything, but the 7th installment on the timeline. James Bond is the only thing I can think of that's comparable in that way, but even there there have been zillions of directors and rejiggerings of the milieu.

Not long now. Enjoy, everyone!
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek made it 10 in the same timeline, & Harry Potter went 8, but your point is still valid.

Oh, wait,the Godzilla Franchise made it dozens before the reboot occurred.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria, your point about Star Wars is still valid, but James Bond is effectually a reboot with every new James Bond actor, even though they don't go back and show a new "origin story" each time. For one, the Bond actors are all significantly different ages except for Connery and Moore (Moore is actually a few years older than Connery). Dr No takes place in the early 60s but Daniel Craig's Bond was born in 1968. But I wouldn't even say Connery and Moore were playing the same exact Bond. What we effectively have is a James Bond multiverse, and the most films any Bond actor did within the same shared continuity was 7, what Star Wars is now up to. Just sayin'.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Star Trek made it 10 in the same timeline, & Harry Potter went 8, but your point is still valid.

Harry Potter, yes technically 8. I personally like to think of Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2 as one LotR-length film with a disc 1 and a disc 2. They're adapted from one book (the best book of the series and a modern literary masterpiece IMO). And when viewed together, I consider Deathly Hallows to be my favorite HP film. (Otherwise Prisoner of Azkaban is my fave HP movie.) However there are going to be more HP movies in the same timeline.

Star Trek prime universe timeline movies is 10 on paper, but I feel it is pretty clear that TWOK was meant to effectively be a "reboot" of TMP even though the term wasn't in common use at the time. They kept the beautiful model of the refitted Enterprise and chucked about everything else. Kirk still doesn't have ongoing command of the Enterprise but this time they don't resolve it so two nearly consecutively place-taking movies later, TVH can be a thinly-veiled partial remake of TMP - Kirk saving the Earth from a probe gets him back in command of the new Enterprise (again). So I think a good case can be made that TMP is not effectively a part of the timeline of the next 9 films, no matter what the franchise owner says is "official" continuity. But I personally disregard TMP, TFF and Nemesis, so in my personal Star Trek multiverse, the prime universe had only 7 canon movies, what Star Wars is up to now.
8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What we effectively have is a James Bond multiverse, and the most films any Bond actor did within the same shared continuity was 7, what Star Wars is now up to. Just sayin'.

Yeah, admittedly I have never seen a Bond film on purpose Smile I assume like most spy stuff they had to tweak a fair bit of the stuff after the Cold War, and I'm sure with so many directors and screenwriters and yes, actors, that many cooks are going to end up with a hell of a lot of types of broth. And really all they did with SW was prune the EU, more or less. It will be interesting to see what happens as the Rogue Squadron and other films start building out the timeline. I bet they'll crib quite a bit back of fluff back in from the EU at least.

Glad you liked Ep. 7 BTW... I am shooting for a 9AM show tomorrow morning. Vacation came at a most opportune time for me!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Yeah, admittedly I have never seen a Bond film on purpose Smile

The Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig films (all post-Cold-War) are quite good.

Barrataria wrote:
And really all they did with SW was prune the EU, more or less. It will be interesting to see what happens as the Rogue Squadron and other films start building out the timeline. I bet they'll crib quite a bit back of fluff back in from the EU at least.

They already have started doing that.

Barrataria wrote:
Glad you liked Ep. 7 BTW... I am shooting for a 9AM show tomorrow morning. Vacation came at a most opportune time for me!

Sweet!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Go see the movie! Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:
How long should we use the spolier text color thing here?

You recommended the January 4th date, and that seems pretty reasonable. Two and a half weeks is a generous portion of time without it being burdensome to those discussing plot points.

OK, I think we're good on labeling spoilers. If you still haven't seen the film, please stop reading now and go see the movie! Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: