The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Multiple Action Penalties Redux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Multiple Action Penalties Redux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Multiple Action Penalties Redux Reply with quote

Hi folks

I don't usually house rule much, except for very minor things, but I've been thinking about some of D6s more cumbersome rules lately I had a bit of a radical idea.

Multiple Action Penalties

I love MAPs and I think it's one of the strengths of the SWD6 system... but...
Even after nearly 2 decades, we still find it hard keeping track of the MAP penalty; particularly when there's numerous distinct NPCs (and groups of NPCs), Reaction Rolls and incidental one off penalties (like drawing weapons) and wounds...

But what if we simplify the foundations of the MAP?

Instead of nominating a number of actions, we simply increase the penalty each action after the first, if you want in, you jump in at that penalty.

So first action, everyone's rolling full dice.
Second Action, everyone's rolling -1.
3rd, -2 etc.

Moves
You might need to introduce a 'move' round before the first (no penalty) action.

Reaction skills
This is a bit trickier.
Perhaps if you haven't acted, you must use that action; if not, you take an additional -1 or forgo the next action.

It isn't a perfect solution and hell, maybe it doesn't need a solution, but maybe I've just stumbled across an elegant idea... maybe...

Anyone else out there tried this?
Anyone see any obvious problems?

I guess I'll just have to try it and see!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders

Last edited by dph on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering what you mean by "round." In our games, we do it almost exactly like you describe, but each "round" represents a series of actions and reactions which starts with the highest initiative and goes to the lowest. Anyone can take whatever actions they want on their turn or take reactions, etc.

MAPS are applied progressively, rather than to all actions, such that the first action is rolled at full dice. Reactions are always free, unless a separate reaction is required (for example, needing to dodge and parry in the same round).
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm wondering what you mean by "round."

Whoops, yes you're right Naaman, I should have written action instead of round- Edited now to read correctly.

And interesting, so you do you use that system...

Thanks!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally stay vanilla on this. I trust my players to keep track of their actions declared and taken. I make a vocal check before proceeding past each action sequence: "Has anyone not taken their first action or are you holding it? Last call for first actions."

Occasionally we get someone out of order, if it did not result in a critical negative outcome we assume the out of order character or npc held their action for a moment for some reason or make up a reason. (The targets dodge took them out of your line of fire for a split second)

I don't create too many NPC groups for the initiative order unless its a very important fight, thus reducing the turn order complexity.

I just keep track of NPC's for the most part and rarely have them take more than 2 actions unless there is a more powerful npc, that keeps it a little simpler. If they didn't use a reaction, they shoot again.
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm wondering what you mean by "round." In our games, we do it almost exactly like you describe, but each "round" represents a series of actions and reactions which starts with the highest initiative and goes to the lowest. Anyone can take whatever actions they want on their turn or take reactions, etc.

MAPS are applied progressively, rather than to all actions, such that the first action is rolled at full dice. Reactions are always free, unless a separate reaction is required (for example, needing to dodge and parry in the same round).

Sorry for the bit of thread necromancy but I wanted to ask how well this works for you in your games? I want to start trying it out in my own game, but I am unsure as to how much more powerful someone would be with say 7D+ in a skill without applying the full MAP penalty to all actions. I see the desire to take multiple actions as the mitigating factor to characters with high die codes.

Here's my reasoning:

So basically at the start of a campaign characters aren't taking a lot of multiple actions due to the drop in dice (getting hit with even a -1D to all actions can make someone with a 3D or 4D die code think twice) but as they progress they'll take more actions since they will have plenty of dice overall (at 7D+ even a -3D isn't too bad overall). So the idea is that multiple actions are the purview of characters with more CP and higher die codes overall. It's a reward of having an experienced character.

Am I seeing this wrong? Or does your progressive penalty work out in the long run? Also do you do individual initiative for the PCs or do you do group initiative like the book states?

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: