The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Revising Official Vehicle Stats Reply with quote

So, in the past, I've suggested updates for the existing 2R&E stats to better (IMO) fit their assigned missions, as well as what WEG's write-ups say they should be able to do.

As part of my revised scale system, I ended up putting Starfighter between Walker and Speeder. Considering Starfighter, Speeder and Walker scale vehicles are all armed with a mix of laser cannon, blaster cannon and missile weapons, I decided to take a look at making a more uniform system of armament, with the light blaster cannon being the next step up from the Heavy Repeating Blaster. Which then became another brainstorm of re-writing stats (of course). Here's what I'm thinking, starting with Walker-Scale (based on how I moved some vehicles to new Scale categories based on their relative size)

Some general changes that will be common to all the new stats will be:
    -Changing most of the weapon stats and ranges to better conform with a uniform system of weapon classification and ranging I have been working on.
    -Adding at least basic sensors to all vehicles, although a lot of the civilian-grade vehicles will be getting Passive-Only sensor systems.
This covers the following vehicles:
    -AT-AT
    -Hoverscout
    -Alliance Freerunner
    -Heavy Tracker
    -Speeder Truck
    -Sail Barge
    -AT-ST
    -Landspeeders
    -Airspeeders
    -ULAV
    -Skiff
    -Speeder Bikes
    -Swoops
    -Repulsor Sled
The vehicles listed below will be re-statted as above, with additional factors as listed:

Juggernaut
Changes:
-Remove the "while turning" Move Speed, then add a +10 Difficulty to any Maneuvers made above Cautious Speed
-Add "Front" to the Fire Arcs of the Left and Right Heavy Laser Cannon
-Add rules for taking out the Sensor Tower, as well as its effects on the Juggernaut's sensors and navigation capabilities.
Reasoning:
-Having two different speeds (one for straight line, one for turning) makes it rather awkward to transition between the two, once Acceleration and Deceleration rules are factored in. Far simpler to give the vehicle one speed, but increase the difficulty of any maneuvers above a certain speed.
-Since the Juggernaut's purpose is to serve as a "Heavy Assault Vehicle", and is designed to travel in a relatively straight line at high speed, one can easily surmise that it is intended to charge straight at its target while firing every weapon available. As such, it would be helpful for it to be able to focus as much firepower as possible into its forward fire arc. Adding Front to the Fire Arcs of the Left and Right side Heavy Laser Cannon allows the Juggernaut much more versatility in combining fire against targets in its Front arc.
-A full paragraph of the Juggernaut's description is devoted to the essential function and vulnerability of the Juggernaut's Sensor Tower, yet there are no game rules for how this is applied.

Mobile Command Base
Changes:
-Change the Heavy Laser Cannon to a Heavy Blaster Cannon
-Add a bonus to Communications & Command rolls made from inside the Mobile Command Base
Reasoning:
-Under my weapon rules, a Heavy Laser Cannon is about what you would find on the SWU equivalent of a Main Battle Tank, while a Heavy Blaster Cannon (while lighter) is a much more versatile defensive weapon, and (IMO) more appropriate for a command vehicle that almost never enters combat.
-The write up actually contains the quote "It is not, in the strictest sense, a weapon of war, but wars are fought more effectively because of their presence." Need I say more?

Floating Fortress
Changes:
-I'm considering adding a secondary, retractable turret on the underside for anti-personnel use, but haven't decided for sure yet.
Reasoning:
-Armored vehicles are at their most vulnerable when operating in close quarters, as it provides great cover for sappers to get in close to use IEDs or satchel charges to disable the vehicle. The Floating Fortress' only weaponry is in a big dorsal turret, which means there is a massive blind-spot in close to the vehicle's base. A secondary weapon system that can engage targets in that blind spot would not be amiss.

Chariot Command Speeder
Changes:
-Change the Laser Cannon to a Medium Blaster Cannon with Fire Arc: Turret
-Add bonuses to Communications and Command similar to those on the Mobile Command Base
-Add rules for the Self-Destruct
Reasoning:
-A command vehicle is not the sort of thing committed to front-line combat, and any weaponry will need to be versatile enough to be used for defense as well as offense. Anything with a Fire Arc of Front can't be used to, say, hold off infantry attacking from the flanks or provide covering fire to the rear while the speeder is fleeing an attacker.
-The write-up specifically states that the vehicle is equipped with battle management computers and communications equipment.
-The write-up also identifies a last-resort self destruct system, including specifics on its operation.

Compact Assault Vehicle
Changes:
-Add rules for the Auto-Pilot function, as well as the ability to jam said auto-pilot
Reasoning:
-Because it says so in the write-up

Tramp Shuttle
Changes:
-For whatever reason, the design of this thing always looked like an airspeeder to me. I'm considering giving it a much higher altitude so that it can operate as a light utility airspeeder, with the ability to carry a small number of troops.
Reasoning:
-Personal preference. I can't really explain it apart from that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggernaut

Craft: Kuat Drive Yard's HAVw A5 Juggernaut
Type: Heavy Assault Vehicle
Affiliation: General
Source: Imperial Sourcebook (Original), CRMcNeill (Modified)
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Length: 27.5 meters (10 meters tall, 16.5 w/ Sensor Mast)
Skill: Ground Vehicle Operation: Juggernaut
Crew: 2 & 6 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+2
Sensors 4D
Vehicle Blasters 4D+1
Missile Weapons 4D
Passengers: 50 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton
Cover: Full
Cost: Not Available For Sale
Maneuverability: 0D (+10 Difficulty to all Maneuvers if moving faster than Cautious Speed)
Move: 70; 200kph (2D+2 Surface)
Body Strength: 5D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/2D
Search 6km/3D
Focus 300m/4D
Weapons:
3 Heavy Laser Cannon (May Fire-Link if in the same Arc)
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left/Right, 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right*
Crew: 1
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 200m-500m/1.5km/3km
Damage: 6D
*May only fire in one arc per round. The Front/Left/Right cannon requires 1 full round to traverse from the Left Arc to the Right Arc, and vice versa.
1 Medium Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret (+5 Difficulty in Rear Arc due to Scanning Tower)
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 100m-500m/700m/1.5km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 5D
2 Repeating Grenade Launchers
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left/Right, 1 Rear/Left/Right
Scale: Swoop (+2D)
Skill: Missile Weapons
Fire Control: 2D (ignores 1D of Cover)
Range: 50m-200m/700m/1.5km
Damage: Varies with Grenade Type
Ammo: 400 rounds (in four separate 100-round magazines. Magazines are often loaded with different types of rounds, and the gunner can toggle between them).
Common Grenade Types:
Special Rule: Scanning Tower
The Scanning Tower is highly important to the operation of the Juggernaut, which also makes it a primary target for attack. The relatively fragile tower (2D Walker-Scale Body) is a more difficult target (+10 to Difficulty, and attacks must be declared prior to the shot). Successfully destroying the tower reduces the Juggernaut's sensor range by 50% (1km/2km/3km/150m), and applies a -2D penalty to all Sensor rolls, as well as to all Ground Vehicle Operation rolls by the drivers.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER:1D+1 Surface

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:12 am; edited 9 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned to concentrate on the ship and vehicle stats from the three core sourcebooks (Star Wars, Rebel Alliance and Imperial), but I just got a request via PM for a vehicle that isn't included (it's from the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook). I'll be cutting a pretty wide swath through WEG's main vehicle collection, but if I'm missing something you'd like to see, feel free to let me know, either here or by PM.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT-AT

Craft: Kuat Drive Yard's All-Terrain Armored Transport
Type: Assault Walker
Affiliation: Empire
Source: Star Wars Sourcebook (Original), CRMcNeill (Modified)
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Length: 26 meters (23 meters tall)
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-AT
Crew: 8 (3 @ +10) & 2 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Sensors 5D
Vehicle Blasters 5D
Walker Operation 5D
Passenger Capacity: 100 (troops)*
Small Craft Capacity: 6 Speeder Bikes
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons (120 if no passengers or speeder bikes)
Consumables: 1 month
Maneuverability: 1D (-5 to all Terrain Difficulties, due to the AT-AT's low speed and good stability)
Move: 21; 60kph (4D+2 Walk)
Body: 5D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/2D
Search 6km/3D
Focus 300m/4D
Weapons:
2 Heavy Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front (Can fire into Left and Right Fire Arcs at +10 Difficulty)
Crew: 1 (commander or co-pilot)
2 Light Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (commander or co-pilot)
Range: 100m-300m/1km/2km
2 Heavy Repeating Blasters
Fire Arc: 1 Left, 1 Right (Can fire into Front or Rear Fire Arcs, or directly underneath the Walker, at +10 Difficulty)
Scale: Character
Fire Control: 3D
Range: 3-75/200/500
Rate of Fire: 3D (Auto-Fire)
Damage 7D
Note: Can only be fired when the side bay doors are open.
Variants: (Use Above Stats, except as noted)
    AT-AT Mk.II
    Description: While it remains a formidable vehicle, the AT-AT has proven to have some glaring weaknesses; it is slow and ponderous, and has no weaponry covering its rear fire arc, is vulnerable to close-in attacks made at extremely close range (at or around its feet), and the slow turning radius of the head turret means that well-coordinated Alliance units can swarm an AT-AT by attacking from multiple angles simultaneously. These vulnerabilities have been readily exploited by determined Alliance units, but Alliance troops have not been the only ones paying attention to the AT-AT's flaws. KDY's AT-AT production division has been collating data on the AT-AT's successes and failures from the moment it was first fielded, and now, in its first major upgrade, they have produced an AT-AT designed to counter the flaws that the Alliance had been exploiting for so long.

The main differences between the AT-AT and the AT-AT Mk. II are the addition of the tail and belly turrets. The tail turret replaces the AT-AT's rear observation station and incorporates the same weaponry mounted on the AT-AT's head (mounting a single cannon of each type rather than the double mounts on the head turret). The tail turret allows the AT-AT to both defend itself from attacks from behind and to engage targets in multiple arcs simultaneously, thereby increasing its defensive options.

The belly turret is installed at the midpoint of the AT-AT's underside, directly between the two sets of legs. Controlled by remote from within the AT-AT's body, it features a dual heavy repeating blaster cannon which is used to engage ground troops and light vehicles in close proximity to the AT-AT. While slightly hampered when firing at targets in the front and rear arcs (as the AT-AT's legs partially obstruct firing angles), the belly turret is deadly effective against targets around the walker's feet. In addition, the belly turret has proven particularly effective against Alliance combat airspeeders attempting to trip up AT-ATs with entangling cable attacks, as well as providing supporting fire to the AT-AT's ground troop contingent as they disembark into combat.

In the months leading up to the Battle of Endor, KDY fielded the AT-AT II on a trial basis with several elite Imperial Army and Stormtrooper Walker units. The resulting vehicle was considered a resounding success by both the walker crews and the troops they supported, and KDY immediately went to full production, completely phasing out production the older AT-AT I. While the Empire's loss at the Battle of Endor has caused great turmoil among the Imperial leadership, KDY continues to produce AT-AT II's, and Imperial ground forces are slowly phasing out the older model AT-AT as more AT-AT II's become available.
      Crew: 8 (3 @ +10) & 5 Gunners
      Passenger Capacity: 80 (troops)*
      Small Craft Capacity: 6 Speeder Bikes
      Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons (100 if no passengers or speeder bikes)
      Weapons: (In addition to Mk. I)
      1 Heavy Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
      Fire Arc: Rear/Left/Right
      1 Light Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
      Fire Arc: Rear/Left/Right
      1 Defense Turret
      Fire Arc: Turret (Ventral)*
      +5 to Difficulty when firing at Targets in Front and Rear Arcs
      Crew: 1 (Gunner or Co-Pilot)
      Skill: Vehicle Gunnery
        Twin Heavy Repeating Blaster
        Crew: 1 (Gunner or Co-Pilot)
        Skill: Vehicle Gunnery
        Fire Control: 5D
        Range: 3-75/200/500
        Damage: 4D
        1 Repeating Grenade Launcher
        Ammo: 400 rounds (in four separate 100-round magazines. Magazines are often loaded with different types of rounds, and the gunner can toggle between them).
        Common Grenade Types:

*Per discussion here, it was determined that WEG drastically underestimated the size of the AT-AT, which in turn means that its passenger and transport capacity was drastically underestimated, as well. The "100 troops" number was generated from an attempt to design an accurate deck plan.
House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +1
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D+1 Walk

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:57 pm; edited 19 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to ask for AT-ATs! Thanks!

CRMcNeill wrote:
I had planned to concentrate on the ship and vehicle stats from the three core sourcebooks (Star Wars, Rebel Alliance and Imperial), but I just got a request via PM for a vehicle that isn't included (it's from the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook). I'll be cutting a pretty wide swath through WEG's main vehicle collection, but if I'm missing something you'd like to see, feel free to let me know

After AT-AT, my first choices from your OP list are AT-ST, landspeeder (a police/military one and a commercial/civilian model), airspeeders (a police/military one and a commercial/civilian model), speeder bikes (the scout trooper one in RotJ, and a commercial/civilian model), and a swoop. Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
After AT-AT, my first choices from your OP list are AT-ST

On the way, but it'll be the last one I post tonight.

Quote:
landspeeder (a police/military one and a commercial/civilian model)
I'll probably do the two Lars family speeders. As far as the police/military, are you thinking a performance model for pursuit (like a cop car) or something bigger with a turret-mounted weapon (like a HMMWV)?

Quote:
airspeeders (a police/military one and a commercial/civilian model)
Are the two different models of the T-47 acceptable?

Quote:
speeder bikes (the scout trooper one in RotJ, and a commercial/civilian model), and a swoop. Thanks!

Not much to change on those, so easily done. And you're welcome.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-Terrain Scout Vehicle
(Formerly All-Terrain Scout Transport)

Craft: Kuat Drive Yard's All-Terrain Scout Vehicle
Type: Light Scout/Patrol Walker
Affiliation: Empire
Source: Star Wars Sourcebook (Original), CRMcNeill (Modified)
Length: 6.4 meters (8.6 meters tall)
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-SV
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5)
Crew Skill:
Sensors 5D
Vehicle Blasters 5D
Missile Weapons 4D+2
Walker Operation 5D
Cargo Capacity: 200 kilograms
Consumables: 2 days
Cover: Full (3/4 Front)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 30; 90kph (6D+2 Walk)
Body: 4D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/2D
Search 6km/3D
Focus 300m/4D
Weapons:
Twin Light Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front*
Crew: 1 (co-pilot)
Twin Light Blaster Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Range: 100m-300m/500m/1km
Damage: 3D
1 Grenade Multi-Launcher
Rate of Fire: Up to 8 shots (2D Auto-Fire) per round.
Ammo: 200 rounds
Common Grenade Types:
*If the AT-ST is stationary, it may fire into the Left and Right Fire Arcs. It may only fire into one Fire Arc per round, and transitioning from the Left Arc to the Right Arc (and vice versa) requires a full round.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +1
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 3D+1 Walk

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:56 pm; edited 16 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'll probably do the two Lars family speeders.

Cool!

CRMcNeill wrote:
As far as the police/military, are you thinking a performance model for pursuit (like a cop car) or something bigger with a turret-mounted weapon (like a HMMWV)?

Preferably cop car, but I'll take what I can get.

CRMcNeill wrote:

Very! Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Preferably cop car, but I'll take what I can get.

Okay. I'm going back out on the road in an hour or so, so it might take a bit, but I will get it posted at some point.

Quote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Very! Thanks!

I've already redone stats for the Alliance Combat Airspeeder here, along with some alternate models based on the T-47. I'll post the civilian stats at some point, but it shouldn't be too difficult to extrapolate from what I've got here if you can't wait.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
All-Terrain Scout Transport
Craft: Kuat Drive Yard's AT-ST
Type: Medium Walker
Scale: Speeder
Length: 6.4 meters (8.6 meters tall)
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-ST
Crew: 2 (1 @ +15)
Crew Skill:
Sensors 5D
Vehicle Blasters 5D
Missile Weapons 4D+2
Walker Operation 5D
Cargo Capacity: 200 kilograms
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 30; 90kph
Body: 4D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/2D
Search 6km/3D
Focus 300m/4D
Weapons:
Twin Light Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Twin Light Blaster Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Range: 100m-300m/500m/1km
Damage: 3D
1 Concussion Grenade Launcher
Scale: Character
Range: 50m-100m/250m/500m
Damage: 8D / 7D / 5D / 3D
Blast Radius: 0-1m/2m/3m/5m
*If the AT-ST is stationary, it may fire into the Left and Right Fire Arcs. It may only fire into one Fire Arc per round, and transitioning from the Left Arc to the Right Arc (and vice versa) requires a full round.

Trying to remember where i read it, but on AT-STs, that concussion launcher sometimes was switch out-able with other weaponry. Sort of a modular pod..

Though on both this and the Juggernaught's grenade launcher, why does it have greater damage than a character thrown grenade, but LESS blast radius than one thrown by a character does? makes no sense..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
All-Terrain Scout Transport

Next time, please don't quote the entire stat just to make two points. It leaves me quite a lot to clean up when I respond.

Quote:
Trying to remember where i read it, but on AT-STs, that concussion launcher sometimes was switch out-able with other weaponry. Sort of a modular pod..

That would be this one here. I decided to restrict my write-up to things seen in the film's or described in the WEG description. If people want to use the weapon pods, they may do so at their own discretion.

Quote:
Though on both this and the Juggernaught's grenade launcher, why does it have greater damage than a character thrown grenade, but LESS blast radius than one thrown by a character does? makes no sense..

It does if you compare it to the grenade launcher stats on the Juggernaut. The only thing I changed was specifying it was character scale and adding a blast radius. Since I'm restarting things to get rid of the kinds of discrepancies found between nominally identical weapon systems, I decided to give the concussion grenade launchers on the Juggernaut, AT-ST and ULAV the same stats.

As far as the high damage and short blast radius, it was intentional. I picture concussion grenades as the SWU equivalent of Krak Grenades from WH40K: a lot of damage, but with a highly localized effect, primarily an anti-armor weapon with a secondary anti-personnel effect.

My reasoning is that I don't want to stat out concussion grenades identically to frag grenades; I want them to have a different function, different use and different purpose, not just a frag grenade by another name.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what i am wondering is why a character scale grenade, has less blast radius when fired from a vehicle, than one that is tossed by a goon..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But what i am wondering is why a character scale grenade, has less blast radius when fired from a vehicle, than one that is tossed by a goon..

Sigh... Because they aren't the same type of grenade. One has higher peak damage with a much more confined blast radius, while the other spreads it's effect over a much wider area at the cost of reduced maximum damage. Blast radius is an effect of the grenade's design, not how far a character can throw it. If you want to have this thing fire grenades with a bigger blast radius, load it with frag grenades.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see it as being @$$ backwards that a larger unit's grenade is a smaller area of effect than a smaller unit's grenade.. but what ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: