The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dumb Newbie Question about Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dumb Newbie Question about Lightsaber Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in this case, I would say that the solution is to have the BBEG confront the PCs himself ("if you want something done right..."), at which point, killing a PCactually enhances the story.

In other words, the BBEG usually has his main muscle (like a Darth Vader or a Boba/Jango Fett, etc) or is himself fully capable of cleaning the PCs' clocks.

Then you have a great opportunity to add to the overall story.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodrim wrote:
garhkal wrote:
What exactly are you saying there?? Treat the NPC's stats as normal, till they slice up a non force user, so just 'fudge' it so the pc doesn't die/??

To be fair, with LSC being able to reduce damage pool as well as increase, and PC's and NPC's alike having the option to incapacitate with a lightsaber strike opposed to kill (generally understood as dismemberment), there is precedent in the rules system...to a certain extent.

Case in point, my current D6 game, the first session of which involved the PC's pissing off a decently-powerful inquisitor. He hit one of the PC's and rolled high enough on the damage roll (compared to the PC's Strength check) to have killed him several times over, but I ruled since the Inquisitor was basically just waving his Dark Side-peen around, trying to intimidate the PC's into surrendering, and not taking the fight seriously, he just cut the PC's hand off.

Big mistake for the NPC, being on the next round another PC blew a Force point, shot him, and would have killed him but for Reduce Injury. The inquisitor just lost an arm out of it. Which, Control Pain and Reduce Injury are always going to be your trump cards when it comes to drawing out lightsaber combats and making them sufficiently dramatic and climactic, especially since Light Side characters tend to bank Force Points, and Dark Side characters can always draw upon, or feed from, the Dark Side.

Which, that's another key thing when it comes to making lightsaber combat interesting: the "social" aspect, playing up the war of words that accompanies climactic Force-user battles. Light siders trying to redeem, Dark Siders trying to corrupt, and all that. There should be as much environmental damage from scenery-chewing as there is from wild saber strikes, telekinesis use, and the like.

To an extent, I'd see it as somewhat like counting coup... removing a hand or limb demonstrates MASTERY of your opponent. "I could have killed you, but I did not; I do not fear you."

Now, this message is a bit compromised by getting shot in the face a second later. But it's the message you're trying to send if you're big and evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: