The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You seem to be the one who loves basing updates to stuff to mirror more what it shows in canon, whether its cartoons, comics, or the films. Now you are wanting to ignore all that, just for your own ends?

My own ends? My own ends, as you so narrow-mindedly call them, are to make the Star Wars universe better, bigger, more detailed and more exciting for those who wish to take part. My imagination does not have a West End Games trademark stamp on it. I use evidence from the EU, as well as contradictions within WEG's own material to expand the gaming universe, not constrict it to the limitation imposed on us by WEG. In fact, WEG expected us as gamers to expand beyond what they established. If you don't believe me, read my signature. Twice, if you need to.

As I have explained here (and been forced to re-explain over and over and over, because some people lack a basic understanding of gravity), WEG's version of repulsorlifts is poorly thought out. If repulsorlifts are what the original ANH novel says they are, they will be capable of neutralizing the vehicles weight at any altitude, all the way up to six planetary diameters away from the planet's surface (approximately 72,000 kilometers). As such, altitude restrictions must be based on other factors.

With that in mind, it opens up a lot of possibilities for the various applications of repulsorlift. In the case of sail barges and skiffs, we see them for a few minutes operating close to the ground. Fine. How does that prove they can only operate close to the ground? Based on the above understanding of repulsorlifts, any altitude restrictions will be based on A) environment or B) propulsion and/or maneuvering. Turning sail barges and sand skiffs into sky barges and sky skiffs opens up all kinds of possibilities for their use, as opposed to having them stuck close to the ground.

Bottom line, g, if you don't like my ideas, don't #%&!ing use them. You are allowed to do whatever you want in your universe, but I find your adherence to WEG's version of the SWU annoyingly dogmatic, and I won't allow that kind of thinking to limit my imagination or what I do with it.

EDIT:
Wikipedia wrote:
Dogma is a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted. It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself. (Emphasis mine)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I love you both, and you're two of the four that keep me regularly returning to this site. Both of you tend to nitpick on stuff that I enjoy thinking about.

Glad to be of service.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effects of High Altitude on Vehicles
An aircraft's altitude range is a baseline for the limits of normal operation. This altitude can be exceeded for short periods of time, but this takes its toll on the vehicle.

In game terms, an airspeeder can exceed its altitude range value by 50%, but must make a Body roll every hour, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per hour.

Likewise, an airspeeder can exceed its altitude range by 51-100%, but must make a Body roll every 10 minutes, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per 10 minutes.

An airspeeder that exceeds its altitude range by more than 100% must make a Body roll every Round, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per round.

If the vehicle fails the roll by 1-10 points, it is suffering strain, and must "rest" (landed and shut down) for twice as long as it exceeded its altitude range.

If the roll fails by 11 or more points, the vehicle has suffered a mechanical failure, which requires a Moderate Repair roll and one hour's work. This can be problematic when it happens several kilometers above ground.

Effects of High Altitude on Passengers & Crew:

The following conditions obtain at varying altitudes within the atmosphere of an Earth-type planet, mostly applicable to aircraft with unpressurized cockpits:
    <2 kilometers = Normal (Temperate Type I). No special equipment required.

2-3 kilometers = Strenuous (Cool Temperature)

3-4 kilometers = Hazardous (Cool Temperatures and Type II Atmosphere)

4-16 kilometers = Hostile (Cold Temperatures and Type III Atmosphere)

16-50 kilometers = Very Hostile* (Frigid Temperatures and Type IV Atmosphere)

50-250 kilometers = Lethal (Extreme Cold and Vacuum)

Some methods are available for vehicles to counter the Atmospheric conditions:
    Warm Clothing = Moves Temperature up by 1 Step
    Vehicle Heaters = Moves Temperature up by 1 Step
    Breath Mask = Negates II and III Atmospheres
    Pressure Suit = Negates Type IV Atmosphere

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun May 22, 2016 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, thinking about why there's an altitude limit... what if it was simply the strength of the repulsor field, with speed being controlled by a different drive?

So, you go with Luke's Landspeeder. Its repulsor field will give you a usual altitude of about half a meter, and might be able to handle 2-3m without too much trouble. It is actually propelled by the three turbines mounted on the nacelles... essentially, it's an exotic ACV. It's a cheaper way to do it, and the altitude limitations aren't that big of a problem most of the time.

Actual airspeeders have a more powerful (and nuanced) repulsor drive, letting them get a lot higher in altitude, and many could, in theory, go to orbit, but aren't built for that in other ways.

That leads to our final category, actual spaceships. They have a repulsor drive similar to the airspeeder, which provides a lot of their airborne manueverability (though they might use a dribble from their drive for propulsion). They can use the repulsor drive to achieve orbit, and have the shields and life support to survive up there.

When viewed this way, the difference becomes one of economics. Landspeeders and low-altitude bikes exist because they're cheaper alternatives to airspeeders. Airspeeders have pretty much the same propulsion technology of (non-hyperdrive) spacecraft, but don't include the shields or life support that they'd need outside of the atmosphere (maybe able to handle brief insertions into LBO).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... (deep breath)

You just stumbled into this for the first time, so I'm going to answer, but I'm only going to say this once. The central premise of the functioning of repulsorlifts, as described in the novel for ANH, is this:
    Repulsorlifts push against an object's gravity field, not the physical object itself.
As such, how high a repulsorlift-equipped vehicle can get off the ground is not a function of how much power it needs push further away from the ground, but rather, whether it had enough power to lift the vehicle's entire mass off the ground in the first place (in effect, rendering that mass weightless).

Once the vehicle's weight is negated by the repulsorlift's counter-gravity effect, changing altitude is child's play. Even assuming it takes 80 or 90% of a repulsorlift's power to neutralize the vehicle's full weight, turning it up the extra 10% will actually make the craft buoyant, causing it to move up, away from the ground all on its own, with the only upward limit being the point where the repulsorlifts no longer have sufficient gravity field to push against (an essential requirement, also per the ANH novel), which is about 72,000 kilometers up, or six planetary diameters (again, per the ANH novel).

Based on the above, the idea that an anti-gravity device pushes against the ground just doesn't hold water.

As such, my alternate theory is been that the difference between landspeeders and airspeeders is that, while both use repulsorlifts to produce lift (by neutralizing the vehicle's weight), landspeeders use a drive system that requires them to stay near the ground, while airspeeders do not.

As such, your suggestion of basing landspeeder altitudes on power availability is right, but for the wrong reasons. The power issue is not connected to the repulsorlifts (which demonstrate they have enough power already by the simple expedient of being able to lift the vehicle off the ground in the first place and keep it there), but to the tractor-beam-tech based drive field underneath the vehicle that must grip the ground to push/pull the vehicle forward. The higher up the vehicle goes, the stronger the drive field must be to continue exerting force against something that is further away.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. However, I will go to the mat a bit on different propulsion systems, as well as shielding and life support (the last part I don't think needs defense)

If you've got a Repulsorlift providing your lift, you don't necessarily need to be using the traction drive for propulsion. So something like the landspeeder might be using a traction drive that's distance limited, but it seems unreasonable that absolutely everything would... swoops are supposed to be a repulsorlift mated to an ion engine and given a seat, after all. They might have traction drives for certain purposes (braking near a surface would be enhanced by a traction drive), and that might even be part of the repulsorlift engine itself... a different application of the general antigravity principles.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Gotcha. However, I will go to the mat a bit on different propulsion systems, as well as shielding and life support (the last part I don't think needs defense)

I agree, which is why I'm trying to work out rules for temperature and atmospheric type for open cockpit vehicles at high altitude.

Quote:
If you've got a Repulsorlift providing your lift, you don't necessarily need to be using the traction drive for propulsion. So something like the landspeeder might be using a traction drive that's distance limited, but it seems unreasonable that absolutely everything would... swoops are supposed to be a repulsorlift mated to an ion engine and given a seat, after all. They might have traction drives for certain purposes (braking near a surface would be enhanced by a traction drive), and that might even be part of the repulsorlift engine itself... a different application of the general antigravity principles.

The theory I went with for speeder bikes and swoops was that their mass was so low compared to their total power output that their traction drives were able to maintain grip and forward thrust from much higher off the ground (in the 30-35 meter range).

In effect, power needed (P) would be a function of distance (D) and mass to be moved (M), so P=DxM.

So for something like a Floating Fortress, with a mass of, say, 40, and a D of 2 meters, the power requirement would be 80.

For a speeder bike, with a mass of 1, and a D of 30, the power requirement would be 30.

Airspeeders, on the other hand, would also use a tractor-based drive system, but this would be more of an impeller field, almost like projecting a tractor beam on itself, which could then move the vehicle in any direction (although I'm thinking that positioning in the vehicle would have it's most effective and efficient thrust be forward motion, with reduced speeds for rearward or lateral). This would free the vehicle of proximity to the ground (and would be functionally identical to the repulsorlift systems on starships), but would cost in stability and low level operations. This is because, unlike the traction drive, the impeller drive doesn't have contact with the ground, and can thus be driven into the ground if the pilot isn't careful.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The theory I went with for speeder bikes and swoops was that their mass was so low compared to their total power output that their traction drives were able to maintain grip and forward thrust from much higher off the ground (in the 30-35 meter range).

Which can work for some things, but contradicts the D6 canon that has swoops be an ion engine married to a repulsorlift.

Quote:

Airspeeders, on the other hand, would also use a tractor-based drive system, but this would be more of an impeller field, almost like projecting a tractor beam on itself, which could then move the vehicle in any direction (although I'm thinking that positioning in the vehicle would have it's most effective and efficient thrust be forward motion, with reduced speeds for rearward or lateral). This would free the vehicle of proximity to the ground (and would be functionally identical to the repulsorlift systems on starships), but would cost in stability and low level operations. This is because, unlike the traction drive, the impeller drive doesn't have contact with the ground, and can thus be driven into the ground if the pilot isn't careful.

Not a bad thought on the impeller; I could also see a couple versions, with some different properties... broadly, a "pull drive" (where the drive is mounted with a forward-back orientation, increasing speed), and an "Unmounted" drive, with no directional bias and more maneuverability, but less speed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I love you both, and you're two of the four that keep me regularly returning to this site. Both of you tend to nitpick on stuff that I enjoy thinking about.

Glad to keep you amused.

Quote:
My own ends, as you so narrow-mindedly call them, are to make the Star Wars universe better, bigger, more detailed and more exciting for those who wish to take part. My imagination does not have a West End Games trademark stamp on it. I use evidence from the EU, as well as contradictions within WEG's own material to expand the gaming universe, not constrict it to the limitation imposed on us by WEG. In fact, WEG expected us as gamers to expand beyond what they established. If you don't believe me, read my signature. Twice, if you need to.

Thing is C.. You seem to be flipping on this now. In some other threads you say cause canon of comics now overrides the WEG books/novels, then what THEY say should be 'gospel'. BUT cause the FILM itself showed only a slow and low flying sail barges, you are now wanting to say "it matters not wha the film shows, what i feel it should be should be"...

THAT'S where i am seeing the problem with you.

Anyway, it seems what i say is meaningless to you these days.. So i am done with arguing with you. Heck if this site had the functionality for it, i would put you on a blocked list.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You seem to be flipping on this now. In some other threads you say cause canon of comics now overrides the WEG books/novels, then what THEY say should be 'gospel'. BUT cause the FILM itself showed only a slow and low flying sail barges, you are now wanting to say "it matters not wha the film shows, what i feel it should be should be"...

Again, this is your WEG dogmatism showing through. My point is not that what we see in the films doesn't matter; my point is that what we see of sail barges in the films is not conclusive proof that they must do only what the films show. That, combined with my view of how repulsorlifts function, means that a sail barge pilot could simply be choosing to fly close to the surface for reasons that have nothing to do with the limitations of the vehicle's actual performance envelope.

And besides, what does it really matter to you if this is what I think? You behave as though deviating from the Gospel according to WEG will cause the entire D6 community to implode and collapse into a singularity. It's just ideas and opinions, garhkal. I'm not forcing you to like it, but when you try to disprove my ideas, I will defend them. If you find that insulting, well, that's unfortunate, but I'm not going to stifle my imagination, ideas and concepts to protect your feelings. If you like everything else about the stat, but still feel that sail barges should have a max altitude of 10 meters, then just change it. I'm not so thin skinned that I'll get hurt if someone doesn't like everything about what I post.

Quote:
Anyway, it seems what i say is meaningless to you these days.

There is a difference between disagreeing with you and thinking your contributions are meaningless. However, by the time one of my ideas makes it to written form on the Rancor Pit, I have usually put a lot of time and consideration into the odds and ends and details, so a counter argument had best be a strong one. I think if you look back over the course of our interactions here, there are moments where I have agreed with you, or discarded a thought because you'd brought up that I hadn't considered

Quote:
So i am done with arguing with you. Heck if this site had the functionality for it, i would put you on a blocked list.

You are free to not respond to anything I post.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Which can work for some things, but contradicts the D6 canon that has swoops be an ion engine married to a repulsorlift.
Quote:
Not a bad thought on the impeller; I could also see a couple versions, with some different properties... broadly, a "pull drive" (where the drive is mounted with a forward-back orientation, increasing speed), and an "Unmounted" drive, with no directional bias and more maneuverability, but less speed.

Actually, I forgot to mention a critical piece. Since a lot of speeders (and starships) have thrusters in addition to repulsorlifts, the theory is that the traction and impeller drives aren't able to generate high speeds all on their own, and repulsorlift vehicles in general require auxiliary thrusters to augment them. So, the tractor/impeller would be your "Unmounted" drive, while the auxiliary ion / fusion / whatever thrusters would be the "Pull" drive.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy, looks like we're largely on the same page. Gamist in the streets, simulationist in the (design) sheets. Razz
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so based on this, I've added rules above to the effects of altitude on passengers as well as vehicles.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in the interests of stirring up another $h!t storm, here is my take on the Cloud Car.

Storm IV-Class Combat Cloud Car

The Storm IV Twin-Pod Cloud Car is an atmospheric patrol and combat vehicle that was originally designed for high-altitude operation on the gas giant of Bespin. While other cloud cars are designed for light passenger transport applications, the Storm IV was designed from the outset as a combatant. Capable of operating up to low orbit, the Storm IV's respectable armament and high speed make it a formidable opponent for starfighters, even though it lacks a starfighter's versatility and mobility. The ship's two-man crew shares duties, with the pilot flying the ship and operating the laser cannon while the co-pilot handles the sensors and concussion missile launchers, as well as acting as a spotter for the pilot.

Craft: Bespin Motors' Storm IV-Class
Type: Atmospheric Patrol & Combat Vehicle
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 7 meters
Skill: Airspeeder Operation: Storm IV
Crew: 2 (1 @ +10)
Crew Skill:
Sensors 4D
Starship Gunnery 4D
Airspeeder Operation 4D
Cargo Capacity: 10 kilograms (.25 cubic meters)
Cover: Full (Pressurized Cockpit)
Cost: 75,000 credits new, 28,000 used
Maneuverability: 3D+2
Move: 520; 1,500 kph (8D)
Altitude Range: 10 meters to 200 kilometers
Body: 3D
Sensors:
Passive 10/1D
Scan 35/2D+1
Search 60/3D+1
Focus 3/4D
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (pilot)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 1-3/12/25
Damage: 5D
2 Light Warhead Launchers (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1 (co-pilot)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Rate of Fire: 1
All Other Stats vary by Warhead Type
Ammo: 4 missiles per launcher. May select Light Missiles & Rockets from this list, depending on Availability.

House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 4D Flight (Atmosphere only)

What I Changed, and Why:

Scale: Strictly by size, the Storm IV is comparable to other starfighters in the films (and is actually larger than the TIE). While WEG made it the same basic scale for 1E, they pretty much emasculated it with the transition to 2E. The closest we see the Storm IV get to an actual combat scene is when they intercept the Falcon at Bespin and fire across its bow. While Han's plan wasn't to fight his way through them, the WEG 2E stats would render the cloud cars completely ineffective against a craft like the Falcon, and not every starship the cloud cars intercept would be so inclined to play nice. As such, they need to be formidable enough to take on likely opponents. That means bumping them up to the same scale as likely opponents.

Laser Cannon: This is tied in with my uniform weapon range concept, as well as the visual distinction between blaster fire and laser fire. Based on what we see in the films, the Storm IV is equipped with lasers, not blasters.

Concussion Missile Launchers: This began more as personal preference than anything else. I'm pushing to add at least some ordnance capacity to most starfighters as part of my Advanced Starfighter Combat system, and the Storm IV's relative bulk compared to things like the TIE Fighter, while also lacking things like a hyperdrive or particle shields, theoretically made it possible for other things to be included. And then, while researching for this stat, I found out that the Storm IV used in Star Wars Battlefront had laser cannon and rockets. That was all the proof I needed. YMMV.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm; edited 8 times in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind so much. I always thought the cloud cars were unfairly weak (and unusable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: