The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Air dropping Landspeeders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Air dropping Landspeeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Air dropping Landspeeders Reply with quote

Players in my current game are in a hard spot realizing they will not be able to escape in their damaged light freighter from TIE Interceptors that are going to be sent to peruse them. One of them has asked if a speeder bike and a land speeder could be dropped out of their freighter from an altitude well above their ceilings but be able to do a controlled descent to the planet, or if they could drop out and pull up at the last minute when they get within the operational altitude of the specific vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any rules on this? I am inclined to say yes to the controlled drop, but if their are rules on it I would like to use them to stay consistent.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would allow a piloted speeder to be dropped from above its usual altitude and reach the ground safely, perhaps with a Difficult or Very Difficult check.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about rules, but it sounds awesome. I'd let them do it on style points alone. I may rule that they take a hard landing, wrecking the speeder and taking some personal damage on contact.

Make it harrowing, and make it an incredible tale for the PC of how they should have died by managed to survive due to some quick thinking and a bit of luck.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Air dropping Landspeeders Reply with quote

Rusharn wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of any rules on this? I am inclined to say yes to the controlled drop, but if their are rules on it I would like to use them to stay consistent.

My theory of landspeeder operation is that, while the traction field that provides thrust would not work that far above ground, the actual repulsorlifts that support the vehicle's weight do so at any point within six planetary diameters of the planet itself.

I'm theorizing that, for landspeeders, repulsorlifts support around 90-95% of the vehicle's full weight, so that in case it jumps too high in the air for its traction field to work, the remaining, unsupported weight will cause the vehicle to slowly descend until the traction field can connect with the ground again. This allows landspeeders to behave much like cars, performing jumps and arcing back to the ground rather than continuing onward and upward.

With this in mind, an air-dropped landspeeder would literally serve as its own parachute. The driver could play with the power setting on the repulsorlifts to control descent, but wouldn't be able to actually drive "forward" until within a few meters of the ground.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer quick and easy, I would probably allow it, setting a the difficulty at Moderate and increase the difficulty for every doubling of the flight ceiling.

Example: Repulsor bike with a ceiling of 30 meters.

0-30 ... Moderate (15)
31-60 ... Difficult (20)
60-120 ... Very Difficult (30)
121-240 ... Heroic (40)
241 ... Heroic+ (50+)

You as a GM can off course give style modifiers for doing this, you can also give additional modifiers for the situation, allow the players to narrate out something and if it makes sense give them a modifier. In the end, they can always spend Character Points or a Force Point. To me, this sounds like a Force Point to me. But damn its soooo cool.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I have no idea about rules, but it sounds awesome. I'd let them do it on style points alone. I may rule that they take a hard landing, wrecking the speeder and taking some personal damage on contact.

Make it harrowing, and make it an incredible tale for the PC of how they should have died by managed to survive due to some quick thinking and a bit of luck.

I also see nothing wrong with allowing the attempt, just keep in mind though if they bugger it up, that's some major damage coming their way.. 8d from falling on its own and depending on the damage level the speeder receives it could be all the way up to 12d!.. Shocked
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this has happened in a game I ran. I ruled no for a controlled decent. If that was something that landspeeders could then everyone would be doing it already and so where is the coolness in that?? Now what i let them wass make an appropriate repair or programming roll to override/bypass the safety systems governing the repulsor lift systems so at the instant they hit the operating ceilings the lifts fired up and arrested the fall. However this pushed the repulsorlift systems so far past the red line that the lift systems didn't so much burn out as shredded, vaporized, and blew out the drive systems. Leaving them on foot but alive with a cool story.
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will use Anakin's jump off the service ramp in the pod race from The Phantom Menace as the reference here. They drop fast but if they are good enough they can guide their speeders into a safe forward momentum drive. I think I'll base the difficultly off of distance falling equaling speed they are traveling, with an initial control check when they first jump off their freighter to make sure they are in control during the descent and then a second roll to pull into a controlled drive at the end. Their modified Z-74 speeder bike will have an easier time with it as it is designed to travel at higher speeds and still be able to maneuver. The V-35 Courier, not so much.

But then they may go with just sinking their freighter in the ocean instead. *sigh* but that is a different thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: