The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skiff Racing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Skiff Racing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Skiff Racing? Reply with quote

I was trying to come up with a cool race for my PCs to take part in and the best I came up with was the idea of strapping Pod Racer engines on to Skiffs. The Skiffs would have guns just as Jabba's skiffs did, allowing additional players to act as gunners and blast at rivals, adding more excitement to the race.

It did occur to me that someone has probably already thought of this idea, is anyone aware of any stats or concept art for turbo-powered Skiffs?
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for turbo-powered Skiffs, but there's the Festival of the High Winds on Sevarcos, which uses Skiffs with sails.
They have harpoons attached, there's sandstorms, giant Spice Eels, boarding parties, slug-throwers being fired at each other. Slower paced than what you have in mind, perhaps, but might be worth looking at.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of Blaster cannons, they might have Ion cannons to cut down on fatalities, depending on context (i.e. "Is this sporting event MEANT to be lethal?")
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
Not for turbo-powered Skiffs, but there's the Festival of the High Winds on Sevarcos, which uses Skiffs with sails.
They have harpoons attached, there's sandstorms, giant Spice Eels, boarding parties, slug-throwers being fired at each other. Slower paced than what you have in mind, perhaps, but might be worth looking at.

I fully accept that your way is much more realistic and I did spot some skiff art with the large sails, it is very nice and I did consider it for a while.

However, I'm looking to capture the speed and excitement of the pod race (no easy feat in roleplaying of course). For me personally it's far more the Star Wars way to have high speed chases rather than something akin to a gentle sail boat race.

This is just my personal preference of course, I'm certain that your version would work very well indeed as well!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Instead of Blaster cannons, they might have Ion cannons to cut down on fatalities, depending on context (i.e. "Is this sporting event MEANT to be lethal?")

It is definitely meant to be lethal and there are even going to be traps on the circuit.

I'm thinking a lot about chariot races in Roman times for my inspiration. Like ancient Rome, the Empire allow lethal "entertainments" to occupy the minds of their suppressed subjects and suppress thoughts of Rebellion.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about water craft with Water cannons!!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Water sail skiffs is definitely a good idea if I have my PCs go to a water world at some point. Consider it stolen!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, and steal or ignore this if you want, I'd not have them use skiffs, but instead use, essentially, STAPs. Hooked up to two pod racer engines, providing WAY more thrust than you want. Instead of cannons, they're using hand weapons, while trying to steer by pulling on ginormous engines.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Water sail skiffs is definitely a good idea if I have my PCs go to a water world at some point. Consider it stolen!

Actually one of the mods i played in this Origins had water skiffs and water cannons on them as part of it...
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiff Race Image

[img]https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/114825515803256359169/6299173055639179746?authkey=CLjx65Koi4uydg&sqid=109192465386999311385&ssid=c0f9c62c-a47c-4c62-882f-f8909d46b2e3[/img]

...I need to figure out how to add images here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: