The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3P0 shut himself down on Tatooine, as well.

Anyway, I tend to think the "how" should be left to fluff and not be encumbered by rules, since a parked speeder isn't contributing to the excitement of the game.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
3P0 shut himself down on Tatooine, as well.

Yes, but was that to conserve power or to ignore people he doesn't know?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Anyway, I tend to think the "how" should be left to fluff and not be encumbered by rules, since a parked speeder isn't contributing to the excitement of the game.

Thank you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

The main reason I came up with it is that I'm also looking for a way to justify making airspeeders and cloud cars harder to operate close to the ground. The general idea is that, while a landspeeders' tractor drive maintains a constant grip on the ground, an airspeeder's impeller drive has no such connection, and thus, when operating at low altitudes, runs the risk of running into the ground like a low flying aircraft.

As such, to actually come in for a landing, the airspeeder would need to slow to less than Cautious speed at around 10 meters up, then engage the tractor anchor to lower itself into contact with the ground.

Alternately, the impeller drive itself would not be able to operate in close proximity to the ground (within 10 meters).

I'm still playing with the idea in my head, but my goal is to make the altitude restriction work as an advantage to landspeeders in certain conditions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO part of the reason the films never delved into that angle, is imo it would have made somewhat for some boring scenes on screen..

SOrry Red 4, i need to head back to base, i am low on gas.
Commander, this is TK883, my power pack is dry and my other one has been expended, can you toss me a spare..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO part of the reason the films never delved into that angle, is imo it would have made somewhat for some boring scenes on screen..

Commander, this is TK883, my power pack is dry and my other one has been expended, can you toss me a spare..

"I'm out!"
"I'm running low, too!"
"If the supplies don't get here soon, we're going to be fighting like Ewoks, sir!"
"Well, then, someone get me a rock, because I'll be damned if I'm letting the Imps take this base!"
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

The main reason I came up with it is that I'm also looking for a way to justify making airspeeders and cloud cars harder to operate close to the ground. The general idea is that, while a landspeeders' tractor drive maintains a constant grip on the ground, an airspeeder's impeller drive has no such connection, and thus, when operating at low altitudes, runs the risk of running into the ground like a low flying aircraft.

As such, to actually come in for a landing, the airspeeder iwould need to slow to less than Cautious speed at around 10 meters up, then engage the tractor anchor to lower itself into contact with the ground.

Alternately, the impeller drive itself would not be able to operate in close proximity to the ground (within 10 meters).

I'm still playing with the idea in my head, but my goal is to make the altitude restriction work as an advantage to landspeeders in certain conditions.

I see. Do you hve a solution in mind? Higher difficulty? Skill roll penalty?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

"I'm out!"
"I'm running low, too!"
"If the supplies don't get here soon, we're going to be fighting like Ewoks, sir!"
"Well, then, someone get me a rock, because I'll be damned if I'm letting the Imps take this base!"

Exactly. Other than a few scripted situations where supplies have NOT been plentiful (more for food/water and the like), its never really been seen as something cropping up, which to me takes away one of the plotpoints i feel makes a game good.. Resource management.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Do you have a solution in mind? Higher difficulty? Skill roll penalty?

Still working on it. My ideal solution would be higher difficulty, since that is the system the RAW already has. Essentially, the lower you fly, the more difficult it becomes, since the closer you get to the ground, the more likely it becomes that even a simple error will result in a crash. I'd like to combine it with what I proposed here, but I haven't fully worked out the details.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you also have the faster you move through terrain (that's more cluttered) the higher the diff for that terrain becomes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, you also have the faster you move through terrain (that's more cluttered) the higher the diff for that terrain becomes.

That's why I want to tie it to the existing terrain difficulty system, where low altitude flight forces the difficulty up one or more levels. A simple +5 or +10 modifier for low altitude flight would mean that, for example, if simply flying through the air at Cruising Speed is Easy Difficulty, reducing altitude to, say, within 50 meters of the ground increases that difficulty to Moderate or Difficult.

Of course, one must also take into consideration how the conditions on the ground differ from those in the air. Smooth flying 1,000 meters up will be the same Difficulty regardless of whether the aircraft is flying over gently rolling plains or jagged mountains, but getting down in the jagged mountains will be a more difficult proposition than flying low over the plains.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've decided to skip on posting stats for a civilian cloud car, because I don't think they would be appreciably different from the Storm IV's stats. Just subtract the laser cannon and missile launchers, and drop the Crew to 1, with 1 Passenger. I'm more inclined to do a four-seat version of the Poranji Orbital Jumper from the Black Fleet Crisis, as well as updating the stats for the LAAT as a cloud car-equivalent, capable of operating up to low orbit, so as to be directly deployed from orbiting ships, as seen in the Clone Wars cartoon series.

Moving on...

This is my stat for Jabba's Sail Barge. I've done a lot of reading on the matter, and it's interesting to note that the "sails" seen on the barge in the films were originally intended as sun shades by the designers. Though other models depicted in the concept art were sail-equipped, this version was not supposed to be, yet the name stuck. While I left the possibility open for sail-driven barges, the WEG stats themselves don't really do the matter justice either. IMO, any realistic version of wind-driven power would need to take into account both the speed and direction of the prevailing wind. As such, I presented Jabba's Barge as a purely repulsorlift-driven platform. YMMV.

Sail Barge

Craft: Ubrikkian Luxury Sail Barge
Type: Sail Barge
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Length: 30 meters
Skill: Repulsorlift Operation: Sail Barge
Crew: 26 (10 @ +10) & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill: Varies dramatically
Passengers: 100
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons
Cover: Full if in Hull, 1/2 if standing on deck
Cost: 285,000 new, 150,000 used
Maneuverability: 0D
Move: 35; 100 kph (1D Surface)
Altitude Range: Ground Level to 4 kilometers
Body: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 1km / 0D
Scan 2km / 1D
Search 3km / 2D
Focus 200m / 3D
Weapons:
1 Dual Light Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 100m-300m/1km/2km
Damage: 5D
Capsule:
Sail barges are huge antigravity vehicles used for a variety of purposes. Some haul cargo, others are heavily armed patrol platforms, while others serve as luxury air-yachts for the wealthy. Sail barge is actually something of a misnomer in that, while many feature large sail-like overhead panels, the craft is entirely repulsorlift driven. The sails do not actually provide propulsion, and are, in fact, sunshades.

Sail barges feature a hybrid drive system, combining both the tractor drive of a landspeeder and the impeller drive of an airspeeder, transitioning between the two as needed. The tractor drive is used when operating at or close to ground level (around 10 meters maximum), and the impeller drive for use at higher altitudes. Most sail barges are not equipped with airtight seals, and thus can not be used at high altitudes without endangering their passengers.

While relatively slow, sail barges offer excellent versatility in both wide open surface terrain and more diverse three-dimensional environments, such as among the towers of vast cities like Coruscant.

House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 0D+2 Surface

What I Changed, and Why:

Passengers: 500 passengers is really quite a lot for a ship this size. While I can see larger sail barges carrying that many, a ship Jabba's size would have them packed in like sardines. So, I ball-parked a smaller number.

Cover: Full Cover works just fine for anyone below decks, but someone standing on deck, less than Full Cover is appropriate.

Maneuverability: The WEG stats didn't even have a Maneuverability, so I just gave it a 0D rating for the sake of completeness.

Altitude Range: This is likely the biggest change, based on my understanding of repulsorlifts. I went with the idea that something the size of a sail barge could incorporate both a landspeeder and airspeeder drive system, and switch between them as appropriate. IMO, this opens up a lot of options for sail barges; rather than being a novelty found in specific environments, they can be used for a variety of different purposes in many more environments than just flat, open spaces like the Tatooine desert. This, in turn, opens them up as a setting for more scenarios than their current iteration. YMMV.

Sensors: See everything else I've done up to this point.

Weapons: Made changes to bring it more in line with uniform weapon ranges.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Jabba's barge have 3-4 weapon pylons for light/medium repeaters??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Didn't Jabba's barge have 3-4 weapon pylons for light/medium repeaters??

It had at least one, but since they weren't permanently emplaced, I decided not to include them. I'd likely just house rule heavy repeating blasters or light laser cannon as needed from here, then hand-wave that the weapon mounting points tie directly into the barge's power supply.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgr.. IN that case, it looks nice..

Are you going to do the skiffs that accompanied Jabba's barge??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: