The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

KAAC Freelancer Assault Cannon Vehicle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> KAAC Freelancer Assault Cannon Vehicle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: KAAC Freelancer Assault Cannon Vehicle Reply with quote

This stat is based on the real-world concept of a Tank Destroyer. While tanks were designed to provide a wide range of combat support functions, tank destroyers were used almost exclusively in the anti-armor roll. They were generally not equipped with a turret-mounted main weapon, but rather a forward firing cannon with little traversing ability. What I've done here is delete the stock Freerunner's main anti-vehicle battery and one of its anti-personnel batteries, replacing them with an axial mounted Walker-scale heavy laser. It has a low fire rate, but packs enough of a punch to damage an AT-AT. But a heavy weapon that only fires to the front presents some problems with the limitations faced by the Alliance in ground combat...

Freelancer

Craft: KAAC Freerunner (modified)
Type: Assault Cannon Platform
Scale: Speeder
Length: 14.6 meters
Skill: Repulsorlift Operations: Freerunner
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5) & 3 gunners
Crew Skill:
Repulsorlift Operation 4D
Vehicle Blasters 4D
Cargo Capacity: 250 kilograms
Cover: Full
Altitude: Ground Level - 2 meters
Cost: 40,000 (Availability: 3, R)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 105; 300 kph
Body: 3D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/1D+2
Search 6km/2D+1
Focus 100m/3D
Weapons:
1 Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 2
Scale: Walker
Skill: Vehicle Blasters
Fire Control: 2D
Range: 200m-500m/1.5km/3km
Fire Rate: 1/2 (1 if the vehicle is stationary or moving at Cautious Speed)
Damage: 7D
1 Medium Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Range: 100m-500m/700m/1.5km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 4D

Capsule:
One of KAAC's many Freerunner variants, the Freelancer is a dedicated anti-armor variant, capable of engaging even the heaviest walkers. Its main armament is a forward firing heavy laser cannon, supplemented by a turreted medium blaster cannon. In combat, the heavy laser is used to engage enemy targets while the medium blaster defends the Freelancer's firing position. The heavy laser is vastly overpowered for a vehicle of this size, requiring a bank of capacitors to store up energy for each shot, but even then, it requires as much as 10 seconds to build up energy between firings.

The use of an Assault Cannon in combat has fallen out of favor, and is generally considered to be a relic of the Clone Wars, and only still on active duty with planetary militias in outlying sectors. Of course, some have also found their way to Alliance service. The design is not a good fit to Alliance ground combat doctrine; the forward firing cannon is particularly good on offense, but it is rare for the Alliance to go on the attack against the massive Imperial Army. Freelancers can also be used to ambush advancing walkers and other heavy vehicles, but must fire from cover, retreating after a few shots, and since their most potent weapon is axial mounted, it can not be used to provide covering fire while retreating. Still, for all its faults, the Freelancer is a potent weapon when used properly.

EDIT: Changed the Availability, and changed the Heavy Laser's ROF to reflect better recharge rates if the vehicles is stopped or moving slowly.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice... Though i might provide a rule that the main gun can't fire if the vehicle is in motion
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very nice... Though i might provide a rule that the main gun can't fire if the vehicle is in motion

Perhaps as a compromise, give it a Rate of Fire of 1 if the vehicle is stationary. That way, the drive power can be shunted to the heavy laser, reducing its recharge time.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be ok.. Though it would need an extra round to 'charge up' to move again.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That would be ok.. Though it would need an extra round to 'charge up' to move again.

But the power plant is still running at full power; the energy is just being redirected to the laser cannon rather than the repulsorlifts.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about this for a re-write for what i was on about.
Freelancer

Craft: KAAC Freerunner (modified)
Type: Assault Cannon Platform
Scale: Speeder
Length: 14.6 meters
Skill: Repulsorlift Operations: Freerunner
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5) & 3 gunners
Crew Skill:
Repulsorlift Operation 4D
Vehicle Blasters 4D
Cargo Capacity: 250 kilograms
Cover: Full
Altitude: Ground Level - 2 meters
Cost: 40,000 (found only in Alliance service, not available for sale)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 105; 300 kph ** 57; 150kmh
Body: 3D
Sensors:
Passive 2km/1D
Scan 4km/1D+2
Search 6km/2D+1
Focus 100m/3D
Weapons:
1 Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 2
Scale: Walker
Range: 200m-500m/1.5km/3km
Fire Rate: 1/2 ** or 1/1
Damage: 7D
1 Medium Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Range: 100m-500m/700m/1.5km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 4D

Capsule:
One of KAAC's many Freerunner variants, the Freelancer is a dedicated anti-armor variant, capable of engaging even the heaviest walkers. Its main armament is a forward firing heavy laser cannon, supplemented by a turreted medium blaster cannon. In combat, the heavy laser is used to engage enemy targets while the medium blaster defends the Freelancer's firing position. The heavy laser is vastly overpowered for a vehicle of this size, requiring a bank of capacitors to store up energy for each shot, but even then, it requires as much as 10 seconds to build up energy between firings.

** If the free-lancer is in motion, the cannon can't be fired, as the power the generator is pushing to motion/engines. So it takes 1 round of no movement, to set up to fire the main cannon. Consequently, it takes 1 round of no firing to get the vehicle back to moving afterwards.
If the operators wish to fire WHILE its still in motion, halve the speed of the vehicle and reduce the RoF to 1 shot every 2 rounds. Additionally due to stability issues, all shots take a penalty of +5 added to the gunner's difficulty to hit.

The use of an Assault Cannon in combat has fallen out of favor, and is generally considered to be a relic of the Clone Wars, and only still on active duty with planetary militias in outlying sectors. Of course, some have also found their way to Alliance service. The design is not a good fit to Alliance ground combat doctrine; the forward firing cannon is particularly good on offense, but it is rare for the Alliance to go on the attack against the massive Imperial Army. Freelancers can also be used to ambush advancing walkers and other heavy vehicles, but must fire from cover, retreating after a few shots, and since their most potent weapon is axial mounted, it can not be used to provide covering fire while retreating. Still, for all its faults, the Freelancer is a potent weapon when used properly.
tcschenks
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one other thing in the Star Wars RPG armor units that you may need to address. Walkers can't travel at 300 km/h (186 MPH) while repulsortanks can. That may be why tank weapons are only speeder scale.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcschenks wrote:
There's one other thing in the Star Wars RPG armor units that you may need to address. Walkers can't travel at 300 km/h (186 MPH) while repulsortanks can. That may be why tank weapons are only speeder scale.

Confused

The only thing Walker-Scale about this is its main gun. Apart from that, it is just a modified version of the Alliance Freerunner. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cost: 40,000 (found only in Alliance service, not available for sale)

Apart from a few craft, like X-Wings or Alliance Assault Frigates, very little of their equipment is found strictly in Alliance service. I specifically mentioned in the write-up that it was also found in service with planetary militias and the like.

Quote:
Move: 105; 300 kph ** 57; 150kmh

I'm still not seeing this for my personal use, but if you want to use it this way, I recommend against giving it two different speeds. Instead, I suggest giving it the same speed, but limiting it to Cautious Movement if it wants to use the faster recharge rate.

Quote:
Fire Rate: 1/2 ** or 1/1

When something has a Fire Rate of 1, it doesn't need to be written as a fraction.

Quote:
** If the free-lancer is in motion, the cannon can't be fired, as the power the generator is pushing to motion/engines. So it takes 1 round of no movement, to set up to fire the main cannon. Consequently, it takes 1 round of no firing to get the vehicle back to moving afterwards.
If the operators wish to fire WHILE its still in motion, halve the speed of the vehicle and reduce the RoF to 1 shot every 2 rounds.

Again, this seems overly complex. If you want to run with it, more power to you, but I like what I've got.

Quote:
Additionally due to stability issues, all shots take a penalty of +5 added to the gunner's difficulty to hit.

There are so many other vehicles in the SWU that suffer no penalties for firing on the move that stabilized turrets (or something similar) must be nearly ubiquitous, even for small, pintle mounted weapons on speeders and the like. While I picture the heavy laser as an axial mounted weapon, I do see it as having the ability to elevate and traverse to some degree. Here's some examples of WWII-era tank destroyers:

This is what I'm envisioning here, that the heavy laser can only fire in the forward arc, but is stabilized and isn't slaved entirely to the positioning of the craft.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
tcschenks wrote:

Confused

The only thing Walker-Scale about this is its main gun. Apart from that, it is just a modified version of the Alliance Freerunner. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

I think what he was on about is that walker scale weapons are usually ON walkers, which normally are slow as heck.. So that their potency is somewhat limited by their mobility/ability to move fast.. Where as speeders by nature are faster, so putting walker size stuff on them is kind of having the cake AND eating it too...

Quote:
Apart from a few craft, like X-Wings or Alliance Assault Frigates, very little of their equipment is found strictly in Alliance service. I specifically mentioned in the write-up that it was also found in service with planetary militias and the like.

I didn't edit that line from your initial post though.

Quote:
There are so many other vehicles in the SWU that suffer no penalties for firing on the move that stabilized turrets (or something similar) must be nearly ubiquitous, even for small, pintle mounted weapons on speeders and the like. While I picture the heavy laser as an axial mounted weapon, I do see it as having the ability to elevate and traverse to some degree. Here's some examples of WWII-era tank destroyers:

But most of those are on Large/heavy units, which can take the 'recoil' of the shot..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I think what he was on about is that walker scale weapons are usually ON walkers, which normally are slow as heck.. So that their potency is somewhat limited by their mobility/ability to move fast.. Where as speeders by nature are faster, so putting walker size stuff on them is kind of having the cake AND eating it too...

So I should have made it Speeder-Scale and given it a 9D Damage, then? I stripped out three other laser cannon and gave it a slow fire rate to compensate. If people get too hung up on terminology to look beyond it to the actual effects (that the difference between Speeder and Walker is only 2D under the RAW), then I can't help them. I made the Heavy Laser Walker-Scale because the primary targets it would be engaging would be walkers or other similarly heavy vehicles.

Quote:
I didn't edit that line from your initial post though.

Doh!! My bad. I used the stat block from the Howlrunner and forgot to remove that text. Changing now.

Quote:
But most of those are on Large/heavy units, which can take the 'recoil' of the shot..

And a nearly 15-meter long Freerunner somehow isn't large? Not to mention that a repulsorlift field is far less prone to recoil damage than a tracked vehicle? Look at the vehicle commander in the second photo; they aren't really all that big.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remember ESB on the hoth invasion, the AT-AT's main weapon seemed to have significant recoil (the chin guns at least). Not to the point the head moved, but the head is imo large enough to take it..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If you remember ESB on the hoth invasion, the AT-AT's main weapon seemed to have significant recoil (the chin guns at least). Not to the point the head moved, but the head is imo large enough to take it..

Yes, I do, which is why I made it an axial mounted weapon with limited traversing ability as opposed to a turret. Besides, if you are going to insist on special rules for all axial-mounted weapons, you had best start with the X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter... pretty much all starfighters first. After all, they can still fire at any target in their forward arc.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, they do for the most part, have fixed weapons.. However they have more powerful engines, to cope with still moving and firing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, they do for the most part, have fixed weapons.. However they have more powerful engines, to cope with still moving and firing.

Which I stripped off three of the Freerunner's stock cannon, so that all that power could be redirected to the heavy laser, and still gave it a low fire rate to represent even that much power not being enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: