The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

KAAC Freerunner Variants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> KAAC Freerunner Variants Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: KAAC Freerunner Variants Reply with quote

I've posted stats for a couple of my own variations on the Freerunner over the years: the Howlrunner Anti-Walker Missile Vehicle and the Freelancer Assault Cannon Vehicle. In addition to the stock version listed in the Rebel Alliance Souircebook, there is the Armored Personnel Carrier variant from the SpecForce Handbook, as well as mention of an up-armored and shielded VIP transport variant (apparently, this is Mon Mothma's personal ground transport, so it may be unique).

What other variants would you suggest? Scout? Artillery? The floor is open.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being its not that large, i can't see much else for variants.. Perhaps the only other one, could be a mobile command suite (sensor/comm unit)??
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Being its not that large, i can't see much else for variants.. Perhaps the only other one, could be a mobile command suite (sensor/comm unit)??

It's not that much smaller than some of the Walker-Scale vehicles, and far larger than a lot of Speeder-Scale ones. I designed the stats I post here for use with the RAW scale system, and under that system, there is only a 2D difference between speeders and walkers. Even if the Freerunner is the SWU equivalent of something like the Stryker Armored Car, there is still a lot of potential for different design variations.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not on about just size though. A Chariot LAV is also 8+ meters in size iirc, and it still only can mass certain amounts of stuff inside it.
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am not on about just size though. A Chariot LAV is also 8+ meters in size iirc, and it still only can mass certain amounts of stuff inside it.

The reason it carries so little stats-wise is that it is packed with command and control equipment, equipment whose effects are not included in the stats. The Hoverscout is also the same size, but carries two energy cannon, a concussion missile launcher and 6 troops, so obviously there is room for carrying things, so long as something is swapped out in its place.

As an aside, garhkal, you seem to have a favored tactic of ignoring pertinent information if it doesn't support your position. Your use of the Chariot is a case in point. WEG states quite clearly that the Chariot is packed with Command and Communications equipment, even though they couldn't be bothered to include that information in the stats. Yet you ignored that statement (intentionally or otherwise) and focused solely on the stat (low crew and passenger numbers and a single energy cannon) to prove your point. This is a classic example of the cherry-picking logical fallacy.

Quite frankly, if you are playing dumb as a rhetorical technique, it isn't working, and is, in fact, rather insulting, as though you actually think I'm dumb enough that I didn't read the write-up, and will thus be fooled when you pretend you aren't aware of it. I expect better from a long-time WEG fan and player.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4421

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, play nice or don't play.

The conversation was civil before the last post, (whether you like what he said or not, CRM). If you think he's making a flawed argument, then point it out. If you think he's making a flawed argument deliberately, then ignore it. There's no need for unpleasantness in the forums.
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 11 Aug 2016
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of several variants I'd like to see.

A recon version, perhaps with a similar retractable sensor tower to the one you designed for the Behemoth. I could see eliminating most of the weapons, maybe giving it a heavy repeating blaster for defense against infantry, and increasing the speed to somewhere around 400 kmh. Or maybe keep the speed as is and use the room created by the removal of most of the weapons to carry a small team of 4-6 dismounted scouts.

An artillery version. I know you mentioned combining the heavy tracker with the artillery piece in ROE (can't think of the name off the top of my head) but a freerunner based artillery piece could serve as a faster lighter version of the same concept. Maybe a speeder scale cannon instead of walker scale kinda like a 105mm howitzer vs a 155mm. Possibly paired up with an unarmed or lightly armed cargo version to carry extra ammunition.

An Engineer/Recovery version. Arm it with a tractor beam system, maybe some crew controlled heavy grasper arms, use it to tow damaged vehicles to be repaired, or to clear battlefield obstacles. Maybe give it a small droid bay, I could see a couple of asps to help with obstacle clearing, a few demolitionmechs to lay minefields and place satchel charges etc., maybe some kind of remote type droid equipped with an explosives sensor and a small blaster to clear minefields.

A command and control version. The freerunner based version of the chariot.

An air defense version. armed with an auto blaster maybe a pod holding a couple of torpedoes or concussion missiles. Kinda the star wars version of the avenger.

An assault bridge version. not sure how bridging works in the SWU, was there some kind bridge system in the Galaxy at War book? been a long time since I read it.

An EW version. replace the weapons with sensor and comm jammers, hilarity ensues.

That's all I got for now, may come up others later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That1guy wrote:
I can think of several variants I'd like to see.

A recon version, perhaps with a similar retractable sensor tower to the one you designed for the Behemoth. I could see eliminating most of the weapons, maybe giving it a heavy repeating blaster for defense against infantry, and increasing the speed to somewhere around 400 kmh. Or maybe keep the speed as is and use the room created by the removal of most of the weapons to carry a small team of 4-6 dismounted scouts.

The Behemoth is more on par with the Juggernaut; not exactly something you use for stealthy recon. A better analog would be the extendable sensor pod mounted on the Howlrunner. In fact, a simpler way to achieve what you're suggesting would be to simply replace the Howlrunner's Anti-Walker Missile Launcher with passenger space for dismounts, and maybe with some stealth equipment...

Quote:
An artillery version. I know you mentioned combining the heavy tracker with the artillery piece in ROE (can't think of the name off the top of my head) but a freerunner based artillery piece could serve as a faster lighter version of the same concept. Maybe a speeder scale cannon instead of walker scale kinda like a 105mm howitzer vs a 155mm. Possibly paired up with an unarmed or lightly armed cargo version to carry extra ammunition.

I can see that. Of course, we're still wrangling with exactly how to run artillery weapons...

(It's called the M102 Fire Arc)

Quote:
An Engineer/Recovery version.

Good one. Of course, with the tractor beam's ability to manipulate physical objects at a distance, it could be used to detonate mines by doing..whatever tractor beams do...to the ground in front of it. Other options would be things line Mine-Clearing Line Charges or Renegade Legion-type Digging Cannon.

Quote:
A command and control version.

Another good one. I wonder how close this would be in concept to Mon Mothma's VIP Transport...

Quote:
An air defense version. armed with an auto blaster maybe a pod holding a couple of torpedoes or concussion missiles. Kinda the star wars version of the avenger.

Conceptually, I've been going with putting energy cannon AA and ordnance AA in separate vehicles, with the artillery launcher from above being able to launch both artillery shells and guided AA shells as needs be.

Quote:
An assault bridge version. not sure how bridging works in the SWU, was there some kind bridge system in the Galaxy at War book? been a long time since I read it.

I see a couple possibilities. The first would be a repulsor-supported segmented bridge that would be laid in progressing sections across not just rivers, but canyons and the like without the need for a supporting framework underneath. The other would be a "hard light" bridge, in essence a solid hologram that can support the weight of vehicles crossing it, even if it isn't technically matter. There is at least one episode of the Clone Wars where a Hard Light bridge is used as a drawbridge to restrict access to a separatist fortress, and the docking bay shields on starships perform a similar function.

Quote:
An EW version. replace the weapons with sensor and comm jammers, hilarity ensues.

Indeed. As part of my ASC project and the various stat rewrites I have going on, sensors are gaining additional important and becoming more widespread. I've got the bare bones of an ECM function based on a ship or vehicle's Sensor dice and range values, but I haven't quite ironed out all the details yet. Part of it would allow any vehicle with military grade sensors to provide a jamming effect, and a dedicated EW vehicle would receive an additional dice bonus toward jamming rolls.

Star Wars seems to take the route of one multi-purpose vehicle rather than multiple, dispersed vehicles that perform a much narrower function. I'm tempted to fold an EW function into a more general Comm/Scan vehicle that serves as a communication and sensory adjunct to the command vehicle you mentioned above. After all, active sensors, communications and jamming tends to attract attacks, so keeping all of those things on the same vehicle with the combat commanders might not be the best idea...

Quote:
That's all I got for now, may come up others later.

Welcome to the Pit. You certainly didn't go light on your first post. Wink
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 11 Aug 2016
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking on here for years, but this was the first thread that I ever felt compelled to create an account and comment on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5517
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That1guy wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, been lurking on here for years, but this was the first thread that I ever felt compelled to create an account and comment on.

Glad to see you step into the light. Cool
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That1guy wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, been lurking on here for years, but this was the first thread that I ever felt compelled to create an account and comment on.

Glad to see you step into the light. Cool

I am reminded inevitably of...


_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 11 Aug 2016
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading a book about the battle of Shanghai last night and the author mentioned that the Japanese favored tactic of dealing with snipers hiding in buildings was to just burn the building to the ground, which of course got me thinking about a flamethrower armed freerunner. ROE had stats for a vehicle mounted flamethrower but its max range of 20 meters always struck me as absurd. I realize most Star Wars weapons have shorter range than their real world counterparts but I have a hard time believing that the advanced civilization depicted in the SWU is only capable of shooting pressurized fuel 1/10 the distance the US was able to with the M132 armored flamethrower. IMO a max range somewhere in the 150-250 meter range makes more sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That1guy wrote:
I was reading a book about the battle of Shanghai last night and the author mentioned that the Japanese favored tactic of dealing with snipers hiding in buildings was to just burn the building to the ground, which of course got me thinking about a flamethrower armed freerunner. ROE had stats for a vehicle mounted flamethrower but its max range of 20 meters always struck me as absurd. I realize most Star Wars weapons have shorter range than their real world counterparts but I have a hard time believing that the advanced civilization depicted in the SWU is only capable of shooting pressurized fuel 1/10 the distance the US was able to with the M132 armored flamethrower. IMO a max range somewhere in the 150-250 meter range makes more sense.


I agree. A vehicle mounted flamer for an SW game should be at least able to hit out to 50m..
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12041
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That1guy wrote:
I was reading a book about the battle of Shanghai last night and the author mentioned that the Japanese favored tactic of dealing with snipers hiding in buildings was to just burn the building to the ground, which of course got me thinking about a flamethrower armed freerunner. ROE had stats for a vehicle mounted flamethrower but its max range of 20 meters always struck me as absurd. I realize most Star Wars weapons have shorter range than their real world counterparts but I have a hard time believing that the advanced civilization depicted in the SWU is only capable of shooting pressurized fuel 1/10 the distance the US was able to with the M132 armored flamethrower. IMO a max range somewhere in the 150-250 meter range makes more sense.


I agree. A vehicle mounted flamer for an SW game should be at least able to hit out to 50m..

I concur. I'm picturing a Floating Fortress modified as a mobile flamethrower platform for city fighting...
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12115
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, bigger q on those flamer vehicle units.. Would there still be the scaling bonus to dodge, or since its still a flamer, it be seen as character scale... just greater range?
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0