The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using TK to crush/ruin armor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Using TK to crush/ruin armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Using TK to crush/ruin armor Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had a PC (Or npc) try to use TK offensively just to ruin a suit of armor an opponent was wearing, rather than targetting the foe themself (and thus risking a DSP)?

If so, how did you handle it? TK result vs the armor's Body+Phys rating? Body+en rating? Something else??
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting as after nearly three decades, I am allowing more Force Users in my games than ever before. Reading through Telekinesis can only be used for moving things, which is really quite silly.

In the example you give, I would have have them make their Force skill (Alter) and guess at the weight of the object (armor). I would ask if they attacking a specific part of the armor (size modifier for called shot) or the armor in general (standard roll). As for damage, I would use Alter minus any other Force powers. I think that like LSC any Alter dice allocated to this purpose cannot be used until the end of the turn.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our game we haven't targeted armour but we have used TK to freeze some one tike in the force awakens.
Our force user holds the target (TN based off weight and STR roll) then other players subdue them.
Works well for stopping guards hitting alarms or calling on comlinks.
"We already have fifteen Black Squads, twelve Dark Squads, four Raven Sqauds, three Midnight Squads, one Sable Squad, one Ebony Squad and one," she glanced at a sheet of paper, "Pink Squad. Yes...we're all a little worried about Pink Squad."
Grunts
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to allow it, I'd lean towards determining a TN based on the type of armor... It's going to be a lot harder to crush a stormtrooper chest piece than it is to batter the guy inside to death.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about on weapons? Such as say some force user TK 'crushing' an enemies sooped up blaster rifle/pistol or the like?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'd say you're looking at a high TN compared to ripping it out of their hands.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define high? 20+ Body roll of weapon?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this is a perfect "excuse" to house rule some more force powers.

Mace Windu did this to Grievous in TCW cartoon. Dooku did it to the piping before knocking it down onto Oni Wan and Anakin.... etc...

d20 calls it Force Grip, and it is the same power used to choke (context determina DSP or not).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Define high? 20+ Body roll of weapon?

I don't have a particular number in mind, but I think something like Starkiller crushing an AT-ST should be difficult compared to throwing a person.
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the thought of an NPC using TK to "dismantle armor" like cracking the seal on a armored flight suit by undoing the glove seals and such. I'd likely rule in this case a difficulty number, likely VE, modified by vision modifiers to target + the Characters Lifting roll to indicate that the character is gripping the part to force it to stay as close as possible to the seal.

I could see something similar for the idea of undoing claps, but using perception or search to see if they can notice or correct the clasps as they appear.

As for crunching items, isn't that what TK Kill is for? So just applying that to the armor would make sense. since most items have a soak of 2D we can use that as the base for semi-rigid armor and decrease\increase it with respect to the hardiness. IE. Blast dampening cloth 1D, Durasteel Plate Armor 3D, Powered amor 4D, etc.

If the question is, say slamming a blaster into a wall, eh, 1D + 1/2 alter perhaps
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, telekinesis can be used for just about anything you have imagination for. However, it is important to note that D6 makes a distinction between telekinesis and telekinetic kill, for example, though one could argue that telekinesis on its own contains the functionality of telekinetic kill and the latter is superfluous.

I would draw up a small chart with difficulty numbers for various materials. Crushing stone would be harder than Mandalorian beskar, and that in turn would be harder than Stormtrooper armor, and even that would be harder than using the force to undo the rivets in someone's leather armor so it falls off. See where I'm going with this?

It's all situational to me. If one of my PC's wants to use telekinesis to crush an NPC's armored gloves so that he can't pull any triggers, I just pick a difficulty and have them roll. Pretty simple, and the cardinal rule for stuff not covered in the RAW.

I do agree though that PC's using precious actions to crush armor rather than just kill the f*cker wearing it seems like a tactical blunder.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a tactical blunder, but if someone doesn't HAVE TK kill (or doesn't want to get the DSPs for it and the target is too strong to kill normally), could be easily seen to use TK on its armor/weapon to make IT less effective..

Its the same logic for me when seeing some people manning a big weapon (like say an e-web).. SHOOT the weapon, rather than take out the 3-4 people manning it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: