The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Realistic Sensor Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Realistic Sensor Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are separate sensor rules for scanning planets; I'll need to review and see if there is anything that would conflict.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAW states that, while scanning a planet, there is a variable difficulty modifier of +5-20 when looking for specific ships. Since a negative modifier to search for a walker or speeder is basically the same thing, then a -4/6 modifier to spot walkers or speeders would seem appropriate.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carring the idea out to it's logical conclusion a -8 to scan characters would seem to be appropriate. Say if someone is trying to sneak up and board a ship.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The RAW states that, while scanning a planet, there is a variable difficulty modifier of +5-20 when looking for specific ships. Since a negative modifier to search for a walker or speeder is basically the same thing, then a -4/6 modifier to spot walkers or speeders would seem appropriate.

I think that modifier represents ground clutter and such. It's probably a lot easier to find Luke's X-Wing on Dagobah than it would be to locate it on Coruscant. At least using the sensors. You got one starfighter scale power signature to pick up as opposed to millions of starfighter scale power signatures
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misspoke. The rulebook actually says specific energy signatures, not ships.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this here from another topic.

Basically, it's a random list to generate sensor conditions in a given star system.
    Roll 2D, then compare the result to the following table:

Dice Roll = Effect on Sensors
    2 = Intense solar flares, particle levels and background radiation render sensors all but useless. -4D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -2D to Fire Control.
    3 = Disruptive conditions greatly interfere with ship's sensors. -2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -1D to Fire Control.
    4-5 = Mild background static somewhat interferes with Com-Scan. -1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    6-9 = Conditions normal. Sensors, Communications and Fire Control function normally.
    10-11 = Clear & Calm, with minimal background static. +1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    12 = Crystal Clear, with no background static and ideal sensor conditions. +2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, +1D to Fire Control.

Essentially, the GM would roll the 2D for when the character's ship drops out of hyperspace to generate what local sensor conditions are.

A given system could have a positive or negative shift up or down the chart; for example, a nebula could have a negative shift of -8 on any roll, representing a location where sensor conditions will almost always be poor. There could also be in-system modifiers, so that conditions will worsen as one approaches the system's star or a gas giant with a high EM signature.

You could apply the same modifiers to planetary use; just the descriptors would need to be changed to reflect smog, smoke, fog, or whatever is appropriate...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, regarding previous conversations here on the nature of a ship's sensor signatures, what I've been thinking of doing is, rather than forcing a GM to calculate all the possible ways in which a ship's sensor signature can change, giving each ship 3 different sensor signature ratings: one each for Stealth, Cruise and Battle.

Each number would be a modifier applied to the Sensor Difficulty based on what the ship is trying to do. If it is in Stealth, it is minimizing its sensor profile, running at Cautious Speed or Running Silent and trying not to be seen. If it is in Cruise, it is simply performing normal operations, with normal sensor watch, shields down, etc. In Battle Mode, it is ready for combat with sensors on maximum alert, shields up and all weapons active (this would also work for detecting a ship running at All-Out)

So, rather than a massive list of modifiers, each ship would have a sensor profile stat composed of three numbers:
    Stealth: +10
    Cruising: 0
    Battle: -10

The list of potential modifiers from a few pages back would be used to generate these three numbers during stat creation, rather than mid-game as conditions change from round to round.

Stealth equipment like sensor masks and the like would be applied as modifiers to the Stealth modifier at the time of installation.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Moving this here from another topic.

Basically, it's a random list to generate sensor conditions in a given star system.
    Roll 2D, then compare the result to the following table:

Dice Roll = Effect on Sensors
    2 = Intense solar flares, particle levels and background radiation render sensors all but useless. -4D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -2D to Fire Control.
    3 = Disruptive conditions greatly interfere with ship's sensors. -2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, and -1D to Fire Control.
    4-5 = Mild background static somewhat interferes with Com-Scan. -1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    6-9 = Conditions normal. Sensors, Communications and Fire Control function normally.
    10-11 = Clear & Calm, with minimal background static. +1D to all Sensors and Communications rolls.
    12 = Crystal Clear, with no background static and ideal sensor conditions. +2D to all Sensors and Communications rolls, +1D to Fire Control.

Essentially, the GM would roll the 2D for when the character's ship drops out of hyperspace to generate what local sensor conditions are.

A given system could have a positive or negative shift up or down the chart; for example, a nebula could have a negative shift of -8 on any roll, representing a location where sensor conditions will almost always be poor. There could also be in-system modifiers, so that conditions will worsen as one approaches the system's star or a gas giant with a high EM signature.

You could apply the same modifiers to planetary use; just the descriptors would need to be changed to reflect smog, smoke, fog, or whatever is appropriate...

Nice chart. I have often done similar to that latter part, of having specific penalties in mind for certain locations/events.. Such as the party being near a nebula, or getting around a pulsar..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, pursuant to my work on this topic, I thought I'd bring this up. Using Sensors to Detect/Identify has different base Difficulty based on what Sensor Mode you are using, which works out to:
    Mode = Detect Diff. / Identify Diff.
    Passive = 15/25
    Scan = 10/15
    Search = 10/20
    Focus = 5/10

Even though Search mode has greater range and usually more Sensor dice, it is actually more difficult to Identify a target using Search than it is using Scan. I've always considered this a WEG error, flipped the Difficulties (20 for Scan, 15 for Search) and moved on. Does anyone else stick to the RAW, and if so, what is your justification for it?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you say that? I figure it would be EASIER to identify something in search since you are focused in that 'quadrant', compared to a scan which is all over.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why do you say that? I figure it would be EASIER to identify something in search since you are focused in that 'quadrant', compared to a scan which is all over.

Because that's how WEG wrote it. Check the rules under the Sensors skill; per the 2R&E rulebook, Identify is Moderate Difficulty under Scan and Difficult under Search. As you say, I would think it should be the other way around.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this one is a little complicated, but the complicated part really only applies during the design phase. Once it is complete, the numbers you generate should be relatively easy to use.

As I said above, I wanted to come up with a system to generate Sensor Difficulty modifiers for all ship stats, depending on whether the ship was in Cruise, Stealth or Attack mode. Here's the formula (the complicated part):
    Step 1: Calculate the Base Value
      +1 per D of Hull (+1 rounded down, +2 rounded up)
      +1 per SU of Space
      -2 for Stealthy Design (reduced sensor profile due to design features, such as the curved hull of a Mon Cal Cruiser)
      +2 for a Design Flaw (something makes a ship more fragile than its design would indicate, such as the B-Wing, with its fragile gyro-stabilizer system, or the Strike Cruiser's modular system)
      +2 if a Space Transport (ships designed to haul cargo are often larger and more sensor reflective than their Hull dice would indicate)

Then Divide the Resulting Value by 2 (rounded up). This is the Base Value.

Step 2: Adjust the Base Value for Scale
      Speeder: -2
      Starfighter: +0
      Walker: +2
      Frigate: +4
      Destroyer: +6
      Dreadnought: +10
      Death Star: +20

This is the Base Modifier

Step 3: Adjust the Base Modifier for Ship Condition.
      Cruise: Base Modifier -5
      Stealth: Base Modifier -15
      Attack: Base Modifier -1, +1 per D of Shields, +1 per each type of energy weapon carried.

These are the Condition Modifiers

Here are some examples of Condition Modifiers for common ships in the SWU, using the stats from the 2R&E Rulebook. These modifiers are added to the Skill Roll of opposing Sensor operators to Detect and Identify the craft in question.
    SHIP TYPE: Cruise / Stealth / Attack

A-Wing: +2 / -8 / +8
    B-Wing: +1 / -9 / +10
    X-Wing: +1 / -9 / +7
    Y-Wing: +1 / -9 / +9
    TIE/ln: +1 / -9 / +6
    TIE Interceptor: +2 / -8 / +7
    Z-95: +1 / -9 / +7

Imperial Star Destroyer: +8 / -2 / +18
    MC80 Star Cruiser: +6 / -4 / +16
    Corellian Corvette: +4 / -6 / +11
    Nebulon-B Frigate: +3 / -6 / +13

YT-1300: +0 / -10 / +6
    Millennium Falcon: +1 / -9 / +11
    Ghtroc 720: +0 / -10 / +6
    Guardian Light Cruiser: +2 / -8 / +9
    Lone Scout-A: -1 / -11 / +5

Ships are subject to the following restrictions when using the various Conditions:
    Cruise
      -Cruising Speed Maximum
      -Sensors in Any Mode (-5 modifier if Passive Only)
      -Shields & Weapons on Standby
    Stealth
      -Cautious Speed Maximum (-5 Modifier if Running Silent)
      -Sensors in Passive only
      -Shields & Energy Weapons Powered Down (Can still use missile weapons or mass drivers)
    Attack
      -No Speed Restrictions
      -Shields Up
      -Sensors in Any Mode
      -Energy Weapons Charged & Ready

Changing Conditions: Ships require a minimum of 1 round to transition from Cruise to Stealth or Attack, or vice versa. Transitioning from Stealth to Attack or Attack to Stealth requires 2 rounds.

I've been considering this for some time, and yes, it's quite crunchy, and will not be for everyone's tastes. However, I feel this approach minimizes the crunch to a great degree by not putting the crunch in the middle of the game, but rather moving it to pre-game prep time, or even just sitting down to calculate for inclusion in your stat database.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely thought out. BUT what do you consider "Running silent"?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nicely thought out. BUT what do you consider "Running silent"?

Basically Stealth, but with the engines completely shut down, as per the RAW.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was written up over the course of the morning, so it's only a first draft. I'm considering shifting some of the modifiers from Step 1 to Step 2, so as to give them a greater effect...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: