The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Raider-class corvette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Raider-class corvette Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your 2nd idea, it fits with the "Raider" nomenclature.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I haven't been able to let this one go, so here is my version of the Raider.

Craft: Kuat Drive Yards' Raider-Class
Type: Light Combat Corvette
Scale: Capital Ship
Length: 150 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Raider-Class
Crew:
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+2
Capital Ship Gunnery 4D+2
Capital Ship Piloting 4D+2
Capital Ship Shields 4D
Sensors 4D+1
Passengers: 40
Cargo Capacity: 400 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 km/h
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 50/1D
Scan 80/2D
Search 100/3D
Focus 4/4D
Weapons:
8 Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 front, 3 left, 3 right
Crew: 2
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Orbital Range: 6km-30km/70km/150km
Atmosphere Range: 300m-1.5km/3.5km/7.5km
Damage: 4D+2
6 Dual Heavy Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 front, 2 left, 2 right
Crew: 1
Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Space Range: 1-5/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
2 Ion Cannon Batteries
Fire Arc: 1 front/left, 1 front/right
Scale: Starfighter
Space Range: 1-3/7/36
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/700m/3.6km
Damage: 5D (ionization)
2 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: Front
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1.5km/3km
Damage: 4D
Small Craft Complement: None standard, but is equipped with external racks for 4 TIE fighters.
Special: The Raider is equipped with several solar ionization panels which augment the vessel's power plant. The panels have proven particularly effective when the ship is running silent, providing sufficient power to operate the ship's life support for 1D hours rather than the standard 5 minutes.
Capsule: The Raider-Class Corvette began as a dedicated anti-starfighter platform for use in the Imperial Navy's Skirmish Lines. Designed by Lira Wessex (the designer of the Imperial Star Destroyer), the ship entered service in 6BBY. While it excels in its original mission of anti-starfighter combat, it has proven an excellent multi-role combatant, serving as a forward scout and light combatant. While it is not equipped with a standard fighter complement, its external racks allow it to transport fighters through hyperspace, and it is common practice to temporarily assign a flight of TIE fighters to a Raider for a single mission, with the type of TIE depending on the mission requirements.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we originally posted our ideas for this ship, it had just been released, and there wasn't a lot to go on. Now, however, as time has progressed and devotees of the X-Wing and Armada miniatures games have had time to experiment with the design and get a feel for its strengths and weaknesses. After some research and consultation, I'm going to be revising my posted stats.

A few points for consideration:
    -There are actually two different variations, the Raider I, which is equipped with ordnance launchers (missiles / torpedoes), and the Raider II, which is equipped with ion cannon.

-The design of the X-Wing / Armada games is geared greatly toward customization, with the various applicable upgrades allowing the ship to specialize in different types of attack or defense, depending on the preferences of the gamer.

-Regardless of variant, the hallmarks of the Raider is that it is fast and maneuverable but fragile (and, arguably, expendable), essentially the capital ship equivalent of a TIE Fighter.

-I'm not going to include all the various upgrade options, but I will be using them as a guideline for kitting out the two different versions of this ship.

-I will also be giving both ships a basic stealth capability, as it befits their name, as well as providing a useful offset to the reduced Hull.

Stats are on the way tonight...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raider I-Class Skirmish Corvette

The Raider I-Class Corvette began as a light combatant for use in the Imperial Navy's Skirmish Lines. Designed by Lira Wessex (the designer of the Imperial Star Destroyer), the ship entered service in 6BBY. While it excels in its original mission of anti-starfighter combat, it has also proven an excellent multi-role combatant, serving as a forward scout and stealth assault platform.

The Raider I's primary armament is a pair of heavy proton torpedo launchers, backed by turbolasers and laser cannon. The ship's stealth systems allow it to sneak within firing range of enemy targets, then barrage them with a salvo of torpedoes at close range.

While it is not equipped with a standard fighter complement, its external racks allow it to transport fighters through hyperspace, and it is common practice to temporarily assign a flight of TIE fighters to a Raider for a single mission, with the type of TIE depending on the mission requirements. The external racks can also be used to deploy recon satellites, special ops boats and other specialized equipment.

The Raider I's main weakness is its fragility. While its speed and maneuverability make it hard to hit, any attacks that do hit home tend to inflict major damage. In addition, it has no heavy weapons in its aft arc, so an enemy capital ship that manages to maneuver around behind a Raider will be able to make unopposed attacks. For this reason, Raiders almost always deploy in units of two or more if capital ship opposition is considered possible.

Craft: Kuat Drive Yards' Raider I-Class
Type: Light Combat Corvette
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Length: 150 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Raider-Class
Crew: 42 (10 @ +15) & 30 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+2
Gunnery 4D+2
Piloting 4D+2
Shields 4D
Sensors 4D+1
Passengers: 40
Small Craft Complement: None standard, but is equipped with external racks for up to 4 TIE fighters.
Cargo Capacity: 400 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 7 (3D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 km/h
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 2D (Stealth)
Sensors:
Passive 50/1D
Scan 80/2D
Search 100/3D
Focus 4/4D
Weapons:
4 Dual Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 Front/Left, 2 Front/Right
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 5D
6 Quad-Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: 2 Front/Left, 2 Front/Right, 2 Rear/Left/Right
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 1
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
4 Torpedo Tubes
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 1D
Range:
--Space: 1-4/10/20
--Orbital: 2km-8km/20km/40km
--Atmosphere: 100m-400m/1km/2km
Rate of Fire: 1/3
Damage: 9D
Ammo: 24 (Central Magazine)
Special: The Raider is equipped with solar ionization collection panels that augment the vessel's power plant. The panels have proven particularly effective when the ship is running silent, providing sufficient power to operate the ship's life support for 1D hours rather than the standard 5 minutes.
Variants: (Use Above Stats, except as noted)
    Raider II-Class Corvette
    Description: The Raider II-Class Corvette was developed alongside the Raider I, with the primary difference being weaponry. Where the Raider I is equipped primarily for destroying targets by surprise, the Raider II is geared more toward disabling and capturing targets intact. Otherwise identical to the Raider I, the Raider II exchanges the proton torpedo tubes for a quartet of ion cannon and a pair of tractor beam projectors. The Raider I and II are a mainstay of the Imperial Navy's Skirmish Lines, and the two are commonly mixed, matched and paired up as needed, depending on mission requirements.
    Weapons: (Replace Heavy Proton Torpedo Launchers with the following)
    4 Ion Cannon
    Fire Arc: 2 Front/Left, 2 Front/Right
    Range:
    --Space: 1-7/17/35
    --Orbital: 2km-14km/34km/70km
    --Atmosphere: 100m-700m/1.7km/3.5km
    Rate of Fire: 1
    Damage: 4D (ionization)
    2 Tractor Beam Projectors
    Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right
    Scale: Special*
    Crew: 3
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/10/20
    --Orbital: 2km-6km/20km/40km
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1km/2km
    Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
    Damage: 4D
    *May switch between Frigate (+10D) and Starship (+6D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +3
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 2D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Dual Turbolaser Cannon: 1D+2 Front, 1D Left, 1D Right
      Quad-Laser Cannon: 1D+1 Front, 1D Left, 1D Right, 1D Rear
      Torpedo Tubes (Raider I only): 2D Front
      Ion Cannon (Raider II only): 1D+2 Front, 1D Left, 1D Right
      [i]Tractor Beam Projectors (Raider II only): 0D+2 Front, 0D Left, 0D Right

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:29 am; edited 16 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Moved Raider II stats to above post to remove duplicate material}

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Changed the dual heavy lasers to quad-laser cannon (which are available as an upgrade in Armada, and do seem to be the weapon of choice for anti-starfighter ships in the SWU), and also shifted their fire arc around to provide better coverage aft.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm... Probably a stupid question but it's something I've wondered about every time I see it.

Quote:
Small Craft Complement: None standard, but is equipped with external racks for up 4 TIE fighters.

I understand how external racks work, but how do TIE pilots get into their fighters when the ships are mounted on racks that are exposed to space.

The design of most TIE's have solar panels that interfere with connecting to an airlock.

The Nightcaller from the X-Wing novels gives an explanation that's plausible enough that I'm willing to do some handwavium and ignore the TIE solar panel issue, but it was presented as a unique modification that had never been considered before so it can't be used to explain how pilots get into their TIE's on external racks.

Also wouldn't the point where pilots enter/exit their externally mounted fighters be vulnerable points to breach the hull in boarding attacks?

Hell even the rebels should have similar problems with external racks considering how ingress/egress into their fighters cockpits are designed. And externally mounted astromechss would need specially designed equipment to be mounted/dismounted from fighters like X-Wings, and Y-wings.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
I understand how external racks work, but how do TIE pilots get into their fighters when the ships are mounted on racks that are exposed to space.

The design of most TIE's have solar panels that interfere with connecting to an airlock.

My assumption is that there is some form of boarding tube that extends down over the top of the TIE cockpit.

I also figure that a ship like the Carrack (with four recon TIEs on external racks) will also have a fully enclosed bay just large enough for one TIE, but reserved for repairs and maintenance use. Not sure whether a ship like this, which is only equipped with TIEs if a mission requires it) would have the maintenance bay as well.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My assumption is that there is some form of boarding tube that extends down over the top of the TIE cockpit.

Okay.

Quote:
I also figure that a ship like the Carrack (with four recon TIEs on external racks) will also have a fully enclosed bay just large enough for one TIE, but reserved for repairs and maintenance use. Not sure whether a ship like this, which is only equipped with TIEs if a mission requires it) would have the maintenance bay as well.

Hmm. So something like the (DDS) Dry Deck Shelter's the USN mounts on submarines when SEALs need a (SDV) Swimmer Delivery Vehicle to complete a mission.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
So something like the (DDS) Dry Deck Shelter's the USN mounts on submarines when SEALs need a (SDV) Swimmer Delivery Vehicle to complete a mission.

More like a semi-recessed bay with a clamshell type hatch that closes over it.

The Star Wars equivalent of a SDV would be carried on the external racks in place of a TIE.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At gencon, one of our miniture focused tables Used one of those minis for this ship to represent an SSD (with ISD, ISD2 and VSD's all over the rest of the map)... WAS A cool @$$ game session from what i heard.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
More like a semi-recessed bay with a clamshell type hatch that closes over it.

The Star Wars equivalent of a SDV would be carried on the external racks in place of a TIE.

While I sincerely appreciate showing me the SW equivalent of an SDV, I was more concerned with getting a mental image of what external racks might look like.

A semi-recessed bay with a clamshell type hatch sounds like something that would be included in the "mother" ships design.

However in SW external racks have been added ships that originally were not designed to carry fighters. So I'm thinking there are models like a (DDS) that can be mass produced (like prefab buildings) and attached to the exterior of vessels large enough to carry them with minor modifications to allow access to the mothership and supply power for life support to the rack and to refuel the fighter.

No idea what the stats would look like but it could be a nice thing to have handy for players that want to modify a freighter or transport.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
While I sincerely appreciate showing me the SW equivalent of an SDV, I was more concerned with getting a mental image of what external racks might look like.

A semi-recessed bay with a clamshell type hatch sounds like something that would be included in the "mother" ships design.

Actually, the only official use of external racks in the WEG stats (IIRC) was the Carrack Light Cruiser, and its use of external racks was dictated by its heavily compartmentalized interior. While it was great for resisting damage, there wasn't enough room to install a hangar bay, so the external racks were added to carry a flight of Recon TIEs.

I used similar reasoning here, that the Raider's design didn't allow enough room for an internal hangar bay, but designers and naval operational planners foresaw that they would have a need for a stealthy platform that could insert small numbers of TIEs (or things like the Insertion Pod), and thus designed the Raider with external racks from the outset, even if the ship wouldn't be assigned TIEs on a permanent basis. As an extension to that, including a maintenance bay as described above would also be a part of that design.

Quote:
However in SW external racks have been added ships that originally were not designed to carry fighters. So I'm thinking there are models like a (DDS) that can be mass produced (like prefab buildings) and attached to the exterior of vessels large enough to carry them with minor modifications to allow access to the mothership and supply power for life support to the rack and to refuel the fighter.

No idea what the stats would look like but it could be a nice thing to have handy for players that want to modify a freighter or transport.

Indeed. I'm having difficulty picturing a full enclosure, as well, but an external dock system for starfighters would be handy. There would need to be a lower size limit, though, IMO.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Indeed. I'm having difficulty picturing a full enclosure, as well, but an external dock system for starfighters would be handy. There would need to be a lower size limit, though, IMO.

Well... according to the Wookipedia the Koensayr Manufacturing ILH-KK Citadel-class civilian cruiser (36m) was designed with two external docking clamps for starfighters for additional protection and firepower. Since these ships were used as freebooters and/or yachts I assume this is the smallest size vessel designed to let the fighter pilots board the mothership when the fighters aren't being used.

So I wouldn't go lower than that in size unless the fighter was very small (say under 10m) and even then the mothership shouldn't be smaller than 20-25m and only able to carry a single fighter.

Also I'd say on ships 20-25m in size the fighters pilot would have to ride in the fighter if they intended to use it on a mission.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Well... according to the Wookipedia the Koensayr Manufacturing ILH-KK Citadel-class civilian cruiser (36m) was designed with two external docking clamps for starfighters for additional protection and firepower. Since these ships were used as freebooters and/or yachts I assume this is the smallest size vessel designed to let the fighter pilots board the mothership when the fighters aren't being used.

The Citadel was a WOTC concept, so it wasn't something I took into consideration. Considering that it is little more than an armed yacht, calling it a cruiser is something of a misnomer; sometimes it seems as though stat writers would slap the cruiser label on a dishwasher if they could get away with it.

The only WEG capital ship stat that features external hard docks is the Alliance Assault Frigate, and it specifically states that the docked ships can't be carried through hyperspace (additional silliness to my way of thinking).

Quote:
So I wouldn't go lower than that in size unless the fighter was very small (say under 10m) and even then the mothership shouldn't be smaller than 20-25m and only able to carry a single fighter.

Also I'd say on ships 20-25m in size the fighters pilot would have to ride in the fighter if they intended to use it on a mission.

Actually, there is precedent in the SWU for pilots space walking to externally mounted ships. It was suggested as an option for Luke to get from the Falcon to his X-Wing at the Battle of Sluis Van.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: